Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • RomanRennie
    • By RomanRennie 11th Aug 18, 8:50 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    RomanRennie
    Timescale for finding new employment
    • 11th Aug 18, 8:50 AM
    Timescale for finding new employment 11th Aug 18 at 8:50 AM
    I have been in my current job since January 2017. Itís a good job and has added a huge amount of experience to my career. The Money is the most Iíve ever earned and there is potential to continue to move up. However, while my colleagues, line management and senior management are great, I donít like the way the company is heading, actually I completely disagree with some of it on a professional and moral basis. On top of this there are others in other departments line managers and staff that boil my blood due to incompetence and/or stubbornness and this really is getting to me and preventing me at times from doing my job/achieving goals fully. My question is... there maybe an employment opportunity with another organisation, same job, slightly more money, great perks like car etc, if I was offered that job would it look like I had no stickability as Iíd only been in current job for 19 months? Before that the least time Iíve stayed in a job is nearly 4 years?
Page 1
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 11th Aug 18, 8:57 AM
    • 21,721 Posts
    • 17,595 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 11th Aug 18, 8:57 AM
    • 11th Aug 18, 8:57 AM
    I wouldn't worry about it as long as you can give a reasonable explanation for the move to future employers - to be honest 19 months isn't that short a time anyway.
    • Brynsam
    • By Brynsam 11th Aug 18, 9:26 AM
    • 1,740 Posts
    • 1,278 Thanks
    Brynsam
    • 11th Aug 18, 9:26 AM
    • 11th Aug 18, 9:26 AM
    I have been in my current job since January 2017. Itís a good job and has added a huge amount of experience to my career. The Money is the most Iíve ever earned and there is potential to continue to move up. However, while my colleagues, line management and senior management are great, I donít like the way the company is heading, actually I completely disagree with some of it on a professional and moral basis. On top of this there are others in other departments line managers and staff that boil my blood due to incompetence and/or stubbornness and this really is getting to me and preventing me at times from doing my job/achieving goals fully. My question is... there maybe an employment opportunity with another organisation, same job, slightly more money, great perks like car etc, if I was offered that job would it look like I had no stickability as Iíd only been in current job for 19 months? Before that the least time Iíve stayed in a job is nearly 4 years?
    Originally posted by RomanRennie
    Only one way to find out: apply and see what happens.
    • keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    • By keepcalmandstayoutofdebt 11th Aug 18, 9:58 AM
    • 3,434 Posts
    • 1,813 Thanks
    keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    • 11th Aug 18, 9:58 AM
    • 11th Aug 18, 9:58 AM
    Depends on the company you are applying to and their situation as to whether they give a fudge.

I can honestly say I've met interviewers in their first week of their new job themselves recruiting and of course companies going under and experiencing bad times that wouldn't stop to think about the position that leaves you in. Look at the redundancy board to see about people in recent months getting the boot second week and fourth month in for when it doesn't work out, which no body has a guarantee to.

I am noticing a lot more companies expecting staff to work through their lunch break (moreso now then ever before, 1 company I interviewed at actually mentioned it during the interview that a lunch break didn't happen) and another one even wanted me to opt of the company pension scheme. I was even given advice that I should remove a 5 year job of the CV let alone worry how it looks.

It isn't great out there, unless needing an immediate start job - be prepared to be grilled if it even looks like you are in pretty solid and healthy employment as to why you do want to move. It was definately interesting seeing company responses when I would say I had a month's notice to that of being immediately available.

Be more concerned about getting the right company.
    "If you are caught in a rainstorm, once you accept that you'll receive a soaking, the only thing left to do is enjoy the walk"
    • Ja7188
    • By Ja7188 11th Aug 18, 11:17 AM
    • 224 Posts
    • 206 Thanks
    Ja7188
    • 11th Aug 18, 11:17 AM
    • 11th Aug 18, 11:17 AM
    However, while my colleagues, line management and senior management are great, I don!!!8217;t like the way the company is heading, actually I completely disagree with some of it on a professional and moral basis
    No offence, but perhaps those above you who have presumably been there a while and know the industry better than you have a good reason to take the company in a certain direction. From the moral perspective, what do you disagree with exactly?

On top of this there are others in other departments line managers and staff that boil my blood due to incompetence and/or stubbornness and this really is getting to me and preventing me at times from doing my job/achieving goals fully.
    I think you'll find that pretty much any company has its share of incompetence and stubbornness - although with regards to the latter, perhaps you need to make more of an effort to understand why people expect certain things to be a done a specific way - there may be a very good reason. What have your line management, who you say are great, said about the people/ procedures which are preventing you from doing your job?

My question is... there maybe an employment opportunity with another organisation, same job, slightly more money, great perks like car etc, if I was offered that job would it look like I had no stickability as I!!!8217;d only been in current job for 19 months? Before that the least time I!!!8217;ve stayed in a job is nearly 4 years?
    I agree with those who've said it probably won't cause any major concern - but bear in mind that anywhere else you go may have the same issues and quite possibly not the same prospects and great line management - which you quite possibly wouldn't find out until after you've joined.
    • Doshwaster
    • By Doshwaster 11th Aug 18, 12:50 PM
    • 5,003 Posts
    • 4,128 Thanks
    Doshwaster
    • 11th Aug 18, 12:50 PM
    • 11th Aug 18, 12:50 PM
    I wouldn't worry about it as long as you can give a reasonable explanation for the move to future employers - to be honest 19 months isn't that short a time anyway.
    Originally posted by agrinnall
    The shortest time I have ever been in a job was two months. After my first month review with my boss we both agreed that it wasn't working out so I handed in my notice. The job wasn't what I expected it to be and I wasn't the sort of person they had been looking for.

If your CV shows you changing jobs every 12-18 months then it might look suspicious but a one-off shouldn't be an issue. Employers understand that not every hire turns into a long term relationship.
    • Les79
    • By Les79 11th Aug 18, 8:19 PM
    • 689 Posts
    • 764 Thanks
    Les79
    • 11th Aug 18, 8:19 PM
    • 11th Aug 18, 8:19 PM
    Meh, I fundamentally disagreed with one of my previous employers on a moral and professional level.

But they treated me fine! Gave me opportunities to develop, and didn't get on my back.

On top of this there are others in other departments line managers and staff that boil my blood due to incompetence and/or stubbornness and this really is getting to me and preventing me at times from doing my job/achieving goals fully
    I hear that! It was all a bit petty, everyone trying to gain their little edge over each other. I'd tell people what they need to do and some times they made a right hash of it, or started being funny with me.

Too many Chiefs and not enough Indians.

But yea, my advice would be to give it some thought before leaving. Make a pros and cons list. There are elements of jobs which will always peeve you off; very unlikely you'll get a perfect one. It may well be that you can see past the issues you have with a bit of a clearer perspective. One trick is to make sure that you cover your back with regards to being competent, and make sure that ANY flak relating to you not meeting your goals fully is pinned on the other managers/staff.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

276Posts Today

1,346Users online

Martin's Twitter