Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • DJMitchell
    • By DJMitchell 9th Aug 18, 8:53 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 3Thanks
    Claiming Uniform tax rebate - warning
    • #1
    • 9th Aug 18, 8:53 PM
    Claiming Uniform tax rebate - warning 9th Aug 18 at 8:53 PM
    Did you know that if you wear a uniform for work then you're likely to be entitled to a small tax allowance?

    Or how about claiming the difference in rates if you use you private car for work purposes?

    These and more (such as union subscriptions) all qualify and there are many companies out there who offer to do the claim for you in return for a sizeable percentage of any refund (often 40 - 45%).

    There are a number of reasons not to do this via a company.

    1. It's very simple to do this yourself via the HMRC website or by even writing a letter to HMRC.
    2. The amount of actual repayment you'll be due is normally not much, the average person will be entitled to 60 uniform allowance a year, a nurse 148. That equates to 12 tax saving (29 for a nurse) per year.

    3. And this is the big one, how these firms work is to get you to sign a "deed of assignment" for the 4 years entitling them to anything found at that time. They then ask HMRC to reconcile the last 4 years and make any refund direct to them, they then take their cut and pass the rest on. That works for anything found not just the uniform allowance.

    So say for instance you had been due a 500 refund back in 2015 but hadn't claimed it, they would get 40% of that.

    In some cases however they get you to sign a 64-8 which basically makes them entitled to anything that happens until you tell HMRC to stop! In 2 years time you could get some unrelated payout and they'd take their massive cut! This is what they operate for, the 20 they make from Mrs Jones uniform allowance is peanuts to them, it barely covers their costs, they are hoping for a Mr Smith to be due something big and unrelated.

    So please don't make the mistake, spend 10mins doing it yourself and you'll be much better off.
Page 1
    • 00ec25
    • By 00ec25 9th Aug 18, 10:30 PM
    • 7,807 Posts
    • 7,494 Thanks
    • #2
    • 9th Aug 18, 10:30 PM
    • #2
    • 9th Aug 18, 10:30 PM
    all very true, also read the 110 pages of comments in the wash your uniform at home thread
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

78Posts Today

1,775Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • 10 ways you should act now to beat April bill shocks - council tax UP, stamp prices UP, TV licence UP, energy bills?

  • I have a confession to make... I think I now prefer Young Sheldon to The Big Bang Theory (or at least to the recent series). Am I alone?

  • RT @TDHPhotography: Thank you @MartinSLewis After seeing your show on Council tax exemption for severe mental disorders, after a brief batt?

  • Follow Martin