Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 1
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 9th Aug 18, 3:11 PM
    • 39,249 Posts
    • 36,205 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    • 9th Aug 18, 3:11 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 3:11 PM
    Did you finish what you'd been contracted to do, or did you leave the job before it was finished?

What were the arrangements for paying you? Have you asked about the money?

Too little information to advise.
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 2 hats, 2 balaclavas for seamen, 1 balaclava for myself, multiple poppies, 3 peony flowers, 4 butterflies ...
    Current projects: ready to decrease / decreasing on all parts of the mohair cardigan pattern! but moved onto wrist warmers for friends at Christmas ...
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 9th Aug 18, 3:20 PM
    • 5,810 Posts
    • 6,035 Thanks
    Comms69
    • 9th Aug 18, 3:20 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 3:20 PM
    Hello all.

I started a job on Monday with a contractor (self employed), i'm a painter.
    I had to turn up to site, do the job and that's it.
    One issue, i'm a female painter and I have had to deal with a lot of s@@t. I finished the job because the grief I was getting. They owe me the money I have worked. Can I do anything? or is it lost.
    many thanks
    Originally posted by ree1977
    Well how much do they owe you?

Surely as a self employed painter you've had to deal with issues in the past?

In what way was you being female a problem?
  • archived user
    • 9th Aug 18, 3:31 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 3:31 PM
    it was day rate, so not a contractual agreement
  • archived user
    • 9th Aug 18, 3:38 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 3:38 PM
    Well how much do they owe you?

Surely as a self employed painter you've had to deal with issues in the past?

In what way was you being female a problem?
    Originally posted by Comms69
    no never dealt with this problem as I've had my own jobs because im good at what I do!, this was a contractor.
    in what way was being a female a problem..... absolute crap loads. I've learnt the hard way we're still not acceptable. You're obviously going to have a comment. So crack on
  • archived user
    • 9th Aug 18, 3:40 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 3:40 PM
    Did you finish what you'd been contracted to do, or did you leave the job before it was finished?

What were the arrangements for paying you? Have you asked about the money?

Too little information to advise.
    Originally posted by Savvy_Sue
    It was weekly payment, and day rate so not a contract agreement
    • Brynsam
    • By Brynsam 9th Aug 18, 3:41 PM
    • 1,740 Posts
    • 1,276 Thanks
    Brynsam
    • 9th Aug 18, 3:41 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 3:41 PM
    Two possibilities: you'll be paid on a quantum meruit basis (i.e. for the work actually done, even if not covered by a legally enforceable contract - although it sounds as if you had a verbal contract if you'd agreed a day rate); or you'll struggle to get any money because you didn't complete the work and it may have cost the contractor a lot more to get someone at short notice.
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 9th Aug 18, 3:45 PM
    • 5,810 Posts
    • 6,035 Thanks
    Comms69
    • 9th Aug 18, 3:45 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 3:45 PM
    no never dealt with this problem as I've had my own jobs because im good at what I do!, this was a contractor.
    in what way was being a female a problem..... absolute crap loads. I've learnt the hard way we're still not acceptable. You're obviously going to have a comment. So crack on

Ok here goes:

1: I don't understand what you mean by 'i've had my own jobs' and 'this was a contractor'. YOU were a contractor. Subcontracted by presumably a builder / decorator.

2: I'm surprised this was the first time you've dealt with any bad feeling or whatnot. Perhaps it's a learning point.

3: I think I see the problem, and unfortunately it seems to be your attitude. I asked you what the problem was, because I assumed there were sexist comments made to you. BUT without a proper explanation I cant obviously comment; I wasn't there.
    You seem to have presumed that I'm 'obviously going to have a comment' and I should 'crack on'; so I shall:
    If your reaction to quite a reasonable question or request for more information is to get the hump; you're going to have a tough time in any field.
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 9th Aug 18, 3:56 PM
    • 5,663 Posts
    • 6,372 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    • 9th Aug 18, 3:56 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 3:56 PM
    Ok here goes:

1: I don't understand what you mean by 'i've had my own jobs' and 'this was a contractor'. YOU were a contractor. Subcontracted by presumably a builder / decorator.

2: I'm surprised this was the first time you've dealt with any bad feeling or whatnot. Perhaps it's a learning point.

3: I think I see the problem, and unfortunately it seems to be your attitude. I asked you what the problem was, because I assumed there were sexist comments made to you. BUT without a proper explanation I cant obviously comment; I wasn't there.
    You seem to have presumed that I'm 'obviously going to have a comment' and I should 'crack on'; so I shall:
    If your reaction to quite a reasonable question or request for more information is to get the hump; you're going to have a tough time in any field.

What's not to understand in item 1. She has previously worked directly for a customer is the way I interpret 'having my own jobs', and this is the first time she's worked as a subby.

Item 2. Maybe she's previously worked with people who simply treat her as a painter and decorator and couldn't care less about gender.

Item 3. You may have a point as the 'crack on' comment does tend to suggest a very defensive attitude. Maybe the experience in the last job has something to do with that.
  • archived user
    Ok here goes:

thanks for your contribution.
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 9th Aug 18, 4:01 PM
    • 5,810 Posts
    • 6,035 Thanks
    Comms69
    What's not to understand in item 1. She has previously worked directly for a customer is the way I interpret 'having my own jobs', and this is the first time she's worked as a subby. - I don't see the difference. Still a contractor but fair enough.

Item 2. Maybe she's previously worked with people who simply treat her as a painter and decorator and couldn't care less about gender. - Indeed, and the vast majority of people couldn't care less if the painter is male or female. BUT we really don't know what was said or done - which is why I asked

Item 3. You may have a point as the 'crack on' comment does tend to suggest a very defensive attitude. Maybe the experience in the last job has something to do with that.
    Originally posted by TELLIT01

Perhaps, Or maybe the experience is the result of a defensive attitude. Who knows...

Well actually the OP does, but is seemingly unwilling to share those quite crucial bits of information
  • archived user
    oh my. I was only asking for advice, I was told to come here. Geeez!!!8230;.

no I haven't got a bad attitude, I work my !!!! off every day! i'm just !!!!ed off with people taking advantage, if you haven't worked the trade then you don t know. I was just asking for advice.
    • Undervalued
    • By Undervalued 9th Aug 18, 4:06 PM
    • 3,685 Posts
    • 3,340 Thanks
    Undervalued
    It was weekly payment, and day rate so not a contract agreement
    It was a contract agreement. They asked you to do something for an agreed payment. You accepted. That forms a contract.

Very few "contracts" in English law have to be in writing to be enforceable and this is not one of them. Obviously it is easier in the event of a dispute if it is written down but it is still just as valid if it is not.

If you were being paid by the hour then there is a strong argument that you should be paid for the work you actually did.

If you were being paid for the job, which you didn't complete, it is a bit more complex.

Either way, keep in mind you broke the contract. So, unless their behaviour was so bad no reasonable person could have been expected to put up with it, they may have a claim against you for breach of contract. If, for example, they had to pay somebody a higher rate at short notice to get the job done they could look to you for the difference.
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 9th Aug 18, 4:07 PM
    • 5,810 Posts
    • 6,035 Thanks
    Comms69
    oh my. I was only asking for advice, I was told to come here. Geeez!!!8230;.

no I haven't got a bad attitude, I work my !!!! off every day! i'm just !!!!ed off with people taking advantage, if you haven't worked the trade then you don t know. I was just asking for advice.

How can anyone give you advice if they don't know what happened.

Plenty of people have worked the trade and not seen any sexism (apparently you've managed it for many years, up until this previous job!).

anyway, I don't think this is going to go any further; i'm not sure why but you wont explain what actually happened.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 9th Aug 18, 4:09 PM
    • 21,689 Posts
    • 17,562 Thanks
    agrinnall

no I haven't got a bad attitude...

I'm sorry, but the evidence of your posts in this thread seem to point strongly towards you having a bad attitude.

If you feel you are owed money then you can start a small claim to recover it (you should send a Letter Before Action first to give them a formal opportunity to pay).

https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/web/mcol/welcome
  • archived user
    It was a contract agreement. They asked you to do something for an agreed payment. You accepted. That forms a contract.

Very few "contracts" in English law have to be in writing to be enforceable and this is not one of them. Obviously it is easier in the event of a dispute if it is written down but it is still just as valid if it is not.

If you were being paid by the hour then there is a strong argument that you should be paid for the work you actually did.

If you were being paid for the job, which you didn't complete, it is a bit more complex.

Either way, keep in mind you broke the contract. So, unless their behaviour was so bad no reasonable person could have been expected to put up with it, they may have a claim against you for breach of contract. If, for example, they had to pay somebody a higher rate at short notice to get the job done they could look to you for the difference.
    Originally posted by Undervalued
    Thank you.
    There was no job area agreed per se, its a day rate job. I was told, 'x' amount per day, you turn up every day and they point you to somewhere and you work. it isn't a written quote scenario..?
  • archived user
    I'm sorry, but the evidence of your posts in this thread seem to point strongly towards you having a bad attitude.

If you feel you are owed money then you can start a small claim to recover it (you should send a Letter Before Action first to give them a formal opportunity to pay).

https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/web/mcol/welcome
    Originally posted by agrinnall
    yes of course it does
    • Undervalued
    • By Undervalued 9th Aug 18, 4:30 PM
    • 3,685 Posts
    • 3,340 Thanks
    Undervalued
    Thank you.
    There was no job area agreed per se, its a day rate job. I was told, 'x' amount per day, you turn up every day and they point you to somewhere and you work. it isn't a written quote scenario..?
    The what I said earlier applies.

You have a claim against them for payment pro rate for the time your worked.

But keep in mind they may have a claim against you for breach of contract unless your "walkout" was your only reasonable option.
    • FBaby
    • By FBaby 9th Aug 18, 4:55 PM
    • 17,049 Posts
    • 41,974 Thanks
    FBaby
    I'm totally confused by this thread. Have they said they are not going to pay you? You say you finished the job because of the grief, do you mean you finished before the end of the agreed time you were expected to be there? You are wanting to be paid for the day you were there?

Have they said why they don't intend to pay you anything at all?
    • Brynsam
    • By Brynsam 9th Aug 18, 7:49 PM
    • 1,740 Posts
    • 1,276 Thanks
    Brynsam
    oh my. I was only asking for advice, I was told to come here.
    ..and if you read post 7 there's your answer.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

875Posts Today

5,906Users online

Martin's Twitter