where do i stand

Hello all.

I started a job on Monday with a contractor (self employed), i'm a painter.
I had to turn up to site, do the job and that's it.
One issue, i'm a female painter and I have had to deal with a lot of s@@t. I finished the job because the grief I was getting. They owe me the money I have worked. Can I do anything? or is it lost.
many thanks

Comments

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,014 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Did you finish what you'd been contracted to do, or did you leave the job before it was finished?

What were the arrangements for paying you? Have you asked about the money?

Too little information to advise.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    ree1977 wrote: »
    Hello all.

I started a job on Monday with a contractor (self employed), i'm a painter.
    I had to turn up to site, do the job and that's it.
    One issue, i'm a female painter and I have had to deal with a lot of s@@t. I finished the job because the grief I was getting. They owe me the money I have worked. Can I do anything? or is it lost.
    many thanks
    Well how much do they owe you?

Surely as a self employed painter you've had to deal with issues in the past?

In what way was you being female a problem?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    it was day rate, so not a contractual agreement
  • System
    Comms69 wrote: »
    Well how much do they owe you?

Surely as a self employed painter you've had to deal with issues in the past?

In what way was you being female a problem?

no never dealt with this problem as I've had my own jobs because im good at what I do!, this was a contractor.
    in what way was being a female a problem..... absolute crap loads. I've learnt the hard way we're still not acceptable. You're obviously going to have a comment. So crack on
  • System
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    Did you finish what you'd been contracted to do, or did you leave the job before it was finished?

What were the arrangements for paying you? Have you asked about the money?

Too little information to advise.

It was weekly payment, and day rate so not a contract agreement
  • Brynsam
    Brynsam Posts: 3,643 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Two possibilities: you'll be paid on a quantum meruit basis (i.e. for the work actually done, even if not covered by a legally enforceable contract - although it sounds as if you had a verbal contract if you'd agreed a day rate); or you'll struggle to get any money because you didn't complete the work and it may have cost the contractor a lot more to get someone at short notice.
  • Comms69
    ree1977 wrote: »
    no never dealt with this problem as I've had my own jobs because im good at what I do!, this was a contractor.
    in what way was being a female a problem..... absolute crap loads. I've learnt the hard way we're still not acceptable. You're obviously going to have a comment. So crack on

Ok here goes:

1: I don't understand what you mean by 'i've had my own jobs' and 'this was a contractor'. YOU were a contractor. Subcontracted by presumably a builder / decorator.

2: I'm surprised this was the first time you've dealt with any bad feeling or whatnot. Perhaps it's a learning point.

3: I think I see the problem, and unfortunately it seems to be your attitude. I asked you what the problem was, because I assumed there were sexist comments made to you. BUT without a proper explanation I cant obviously comment; I wasn't there.
    You seem to have presumed that I'm 'obviously going to have a comment' and I should 'crack on'; so I shall:
    If your reaction to quite a reasonable question or request for more information is to get the hump; you're going to have a tough time in any field.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,455 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Ok here goes:

1: I don't understand what you mean by 'i've had my own jobs' and 'this was a contractor'. YOU were a contractor. Subcontracted by presumably a builder / decorator.

2: I'm surprised this was the first time you've dealt with any bad feeling or whatnot. Perhaps it's a learning point.

3: I think I see the problem, and unfortunately it seems to be your attitude. I asked you what the problem was, because I assumed there were sexist comments made to you. BUT without a proper explanation I cant obviously comment; I wasn't there.
    You seem to have presumed that I'm 'obviously going to have a comment' and I should 'crack on'; so I shall:
    If your reaction to quite a reasonable question or request for more information is to get the hump; you're going to have a tough time in any field.

What's not to understand in item 1. She has previously worked directly for a customer is the way I interpret 'having my own jobs', and this is the first time she's worked as a subby.

Item 2. Maybe she's previously worked with people who simply treat her as a painter and decorator and couldn't care less about gender.

Item 3. You may have a point as the 'crack on' comment does tend to suggest a very defensive attitude. Maybe the experience in the last job has something to do with that.
  • System
    Ok here goes:

thanks for your contribution.
  • Comms69
    TELLIT01 wrote: »
    What's not to understand in item 1. She has previously worked directly for a customer is the way I interpret 'having my own jobs', and this is the first time she's worked as a subby. - I don't see the difference. Still a contractor :) but fair enough.

Item 2. Maybe she's previously worked with people who simply treat her as a painter and decorator and couldn't care less about gender. - Indeed, and the vast majority of people couldn't care less if the painter is male or female. BUT we really don't know what was said or done - which is why I asked :)

Item 3. You may have a point as the 'crack on' comment does tend to suggest a very defensive attitude. Maybe the experience in the last job has something to do with that.

Perhaps, Or maybe the experience is the result of a defensive attitude. Who knows...

Well actually the OP does, but is seemingly unwilling to share those quite crucial bits of information
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure