Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • tawecdl
    • By tawecdl 9th Aug 18, 12:15 PM
    • 1,043Posts
    • 815Thanks
    tawecdl
    Bursary for Access Course to Nursing.
    • 9th Aug 18, 12:15 PM
    Bursary for Access Course to Nursing. 9th Aug 18 at 12:15 PM
    Hi all,

Just wondered if anyone has any information on any kind of Bursary that my partner may be eligible for if she does an access to Higher Education course for Nursing?

She currently works and picks up a steady wage but she wants to better herself and after researching the education she wants to do nursing. She has done all the applying etc and long story short she has to do an access to HE course.

The problem is she has just told me there is no bursary or loan to assist with living expenses meaning that we wouldnt be able to afford the bills.

Is this correct or is there another avenue she could take, I will feel terrible if she cannot fulfill her dream because we would be £200 a month short just for one year.

Any advise much appreciated.
Page 1
    • sangie595
    • By sangie595 9th Aug 18, 12:36 PM
    • 5,080 Posts
    • 8,695 Thanks
    sangie595
    • 9th Aug 18, 12:36 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 12:36 PM
    Most access courses are available on a part-time basis. She could do it that way and continue to work, or work on reduced hours. It isn't a year really, since it's September until perhaps June (depending on when the course actually finishes - some are effectively finished as early as May).

If it's only £200 per month, could you not cut back on things for that length of time?
    • tawecdl
    • By tawecdl 9th Aug 18, 12:46 PM
    • 1,043 Posts
    • 815 Thanks
    tawecdl
    • 9th Aug 18, 12:46 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 12:46 PM
    Most access courses are available on a part-time basis. She could do it that way and continue to work, or work on reduced hours. It isn't a year really, since it's September until perhaps June (depending on when the course actually finishes - some are effectively finished as early as May).

If it's only £200 per month, could you not cut back on things for that length of time?
    Originally posted by sangie595

Thank you for your response. We are already struggling financially hence why she wants to better herself.

I will check about part time. I just thought there was a loan or bursary to help her get into Higher Education.

It is literally a case of if there is no funding she cant afford to do the course which is a crying shame in this day and age with the reduction in nurses atm.
    • tawecdl
    • By tawecdl 9th Aug 18, 12:49 PM
    • 1,043 Posts
    • 815 Thanks
    tawecdl
    • 9th Aug 18, 12:49 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 12:49 PM
    update, this is part time 2 days college and home study on top but working 3 shifts a week would put us £200 pcm short.

If she can't do it she can't do it, end of story but I am just trying every avenue to make it happen.

Maybe we should just save for 4 to 5 years and then she could afford it, but she would be knocking on 35 then lol (don't tell her I said that)
    Last edited by tawecdl; 09-08-2018 at 12:53 PM.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 9th Aug 18, 1:09 PM
    • 20,717 Posts
    • 16,555 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 9th Aug 18, 1:09 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 1:09 PM
    If you can't cut back so that you need £200 less each month could you do some extra work to cover the shortfall? So far you seem to be putting the onus on her to make it up, but I'm sure she would appreciate your support to help her achieve her goals.
    • t0rt0ise
    • By t0rt0ise 9th Aug 18, 1:15 PM
    • 3,058 Posts
    • 1,923 Thanks
    t0rt0ise
    • 9th Aug 18, 1:15 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 1:15 PM
    There is a loan scheme called the Advanced Learner Loan which covers this sort of course. It pays for the course and then there are bursaries that go with it to help pay expenses. The loan is not repayable if you get the degree afterwards.

Look it up, ask the college. Don't give up.
    Last edited by t0rt0ise; 09-08-2018 at 1:18 PM.
    • ohreally
    • By ohreally 9th Aug 18, 1:39 PM
    • 6,721 Posts
    • 5,254 Thanks
    ohreally
    • 9th Aug 18, 1:39 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 1:39 PM
    The loan is not repayable if you get the degree afterwards.

Look it up
    Originally posted by t0rt0ise

"Repayments
    You!!!8217;ll have to pay your loan back when both the following apply:

you!!!8217;ve finished your course
    you earn more than £25,000 a year"
    Donít be a canít, be a can.
    • tawecdl
    • By tawecdl 9th Aug 18, 1:45 PM
    • 1,043 Posts
    • 815 Thanks
    tawecdl
    • 9th Aug 18, 1:45 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 1:45 PM
    If you can't cut back so that you need £200 less each month could you do some extra work to cover the shortfall? So far you seem to be putting the onus on her to make it up, but I'm sure she would appreciate your support to help her achieve her goals.
    Originally posted by agrinnall
    I could potentially look for some evening part time week work I guess, I currently work full time 8-6 monday to friday and have my children friday to sunday.

I did look into courier work but apparently it only pays off if you work more than 8hr shifts. If i did pick up extra work it would literally be max 8 hours per week which I cant see putting me over the £200 mark but I appreciate your advice and I will look into other ideas.
    • tawecdl
    • By tawecdl 9th Aug 18, 1:47 PM
    • 1,043 Posts
    • 815 Thanks
    tawecdl
    • 9th Aug 18, 1:47 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 1:47 PM
    There is a loan scheme called the Advanced Learner Loan which covers this sort of course. It pays for the course and then there are bursaries that go with it to help pay expenses. The loan is not repayable if you get the degree afterwards.

Look it up, ask the college. Don't give up.
    Originally posted by t0rt0ise
    This is what I thought and still think but apparently this is only for University not College? can anybody elaborate?
    • w06
    • By w06 9th Aug 18, 2:10 PM
    • 696 Posts
    • 1,007 Thanks
    w06
    if it's two days a week that leaves five in which to earn
    • MarkN88
    • By MarkN88 9th Aug 18, 2:26 PM
    • 129 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    MarkN88
    Advanced learner loans are not for university courses, that!!!8217;s a different funding system altogether.

Look at this and check with the college...

Eligibility

Whether you qualify for an Advanced Learner Loan depends on your:

course
    college or training provider
    If your course started before 1 August 2016
    You must have been 24 or older on the first day of your course.

Your course must be:

a Level 3 or 4 qualification, for example A Levels
    at an approved college or training provider in England
    • MarkN88
    • By MarkN88 9th Aug 18, 2:28 PM
    • 129 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    MarkN88
    Also check this out..

https://www.gov.uk/further-education-courses/financial-help
    • GlasweJen
    • By GlasweJen 9th Aug 18, 6:01 PM
    • 6,597 Posts
    • 11,909 Thanks
    GlasweJen
    Depending on where you live if she already has good GCSE/standard grades (preferably A levels/highers) if she can get a job in a hospital as a healthcare support worker some hospitals will put her through the open university nursing degree after a certain number of years service. It's brand new in our hospital area and talk of the wards as you keep your job (and your wage) while you study so the places are like gold dust so you need impeccable attendance, excellent references from your charge and lead nurses and you want to prove you've done "extra" courses like venepuncture, cannulation, hand hygiene champion, basically you want to be indispensable as the work will be putting a huge investment in these places and will want to choose the ones who are most likely to pass.

I've not been along to the information seminar but I know our hospital will want the money for fees back from anyone who fails to qualify within 7 years as that's put some people off putting their name forward.
    Bounts, Quidco, Shop and Scan, Receipt Hog, Costco Cashback, Debit card cashback

NOT BUYING IT
    (unless it's on offer and can get my loyalty points)
    • Soph1988
    • By Soph1988 9th Aug 18, 9:28 PM
    • 43 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    Soph1988
    Iím currently doing an access course around working full time in social sciences and psychology via Learn Direct. It can be hard work juggling both doing it in your own time, but itís not THAT hard! (And I have zero formal qualifications prior to this...) And itís funded with an advanced learner loan which I pay back once I finish the course if Iím earning over 25k, but if you go to Uni after completing the course that gets wiped off.

A distance course seems your best option here - learndirect do one for nursing too!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,689Posts Today

8,194Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin