Querying why husband not on mortgage

Options
Lender asking why husband not party to the mortgage - this is for a few reasons -

my personal choice - i earn the most
He recently started a new job
Hasnt the greatest credit
Is of different nationality (resident in UK for 4 years), occasionally received pay in euros in the last year

I know lenders can ask whatever the like before anyone starts - but wondering is it really their business (could be not on the mortgage for many reasons, none of which sinister but due to personal relationship preferences) - and whats the best way to phrase this to the lender?

thanks in advance for any helpful comments!

Comments

• Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    DAWN08 wrote: »
    but wondering is it really their business

If he is going to live in the house then yes it is!
  • haras_nosirrah
    Options
    A lot of lenders won't allow a spouse to be resident in the property and not named on the mortgage. This is because the deposit money is legally joint money so he can claim rights over the property which the lenders don't like
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • DAWN08
    DAWN08 Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    carrot - if you read the rest of my post youll see i acknowledge they can ask what the like, thanks for your helpful comment!
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options

I know lenders can ask whatever the like before anyone starts - but wondering is it really their business (could be not on the mortgage for many reasons, none of which sinister but due to personal relationship preferences) - and whats the best way to phrase this to the lender?

Given that the lenders themselves are highly regulated, i.e. to lend responsibly for example. Their internal policies will set accordingly. Likewise people will try and circumnavigate the application process. Lenders do not have the resource to micro manage every application. Instead operate at the macro level.

Seems as if your response needs to be along the lines of personal choice. The lender could then assume that you husband is financially dependent upon you and base their decision accordingly.
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,727 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    I know I have posted this a lot on here, but single applications for married (and even unmarried) couples can be a problem for lenders. The advice is to check before you make an application.

Realistically it will depend on the lender and even the underwriter to some extent. You could be fine and there will be no issues, it could be rejected or anything in between.

All you can do is tell the lender and see what they say.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • foxy-stoat
    foxy-stoat Posts: 6,879 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    My wife isnt on my mortgage but she had to sign a declaration that she has no financial interest in the property and some other rights that she had to waive - no idea if it has legal bearing but the lender was happy to give me a sole mortgage in this case.

When we remortgage next year she will go on though so it should be more beneficial if the worst happens.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    carrot - if you read the rest of my post youll see i acknowledge they can ask what the like, thanks for your helpful comment!

Not the same, since they cannot ask "what they like" and they do have a reason.

They can ask questions related to their business, such as not wanting to be unable to repossess a house because another party has rights, such as a person who is living there but didn't go on the mortgage. Expect your partner to have to sign a form giving up rights to stay there n such an event.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure