Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 7th Aug 18, 8:49 PM
    • 1,410Posts
    • 523Thanks
    sevenhills
    Best energy supplier with solar panels
    • 7th Aug 18, 8:49 PM
    Best energy supplier with solar panels 7th Aug 18 at 8:49 PM
    Does having solar panels make a difference to which energy supplier you should get?
    I guess it depends on your production/usage, but people with solar panels will be lower than average electricity users. Does that mean its better to get a supplier with zero or low standing charges?

I just have eight panels, I have had them since 2015

Page 1
    • EricMears
    • By EricMears 7th Aug 18, 9:31 PM
    • 2,340 Posts
    • 4,098 Thanks
    EricMears
    • 7th Aug 18, 9:31 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 9:31 PM
    In theory, you'd want a zero or low standing charge during the summer but low unit costs during the winter. That could be difficult to arrange !

Probably best just to get an accurate record of last years usage, use that as a forecast for next year and use a comparison site to pick your best supplier for next year. I've done that for several years now and have been fairly happy with results.

EXCEPT, alas, that this year's lucky REC was Iresa which has just ceased trading so I'm stuck with Octopus for next month or so. I don't think they're going to be very competitive so am checking alternatives.

One promising contender is "Bulb" who I understand have a fairly generous referral scheme. Is there a current Bulb customer who'd like to PM me with a link to that scheme ?
    N Derbyshire.
    4kwp S Facing 17.5deg slope (dormer roof).
    • theboylard
    • By theboylard 7th Aug 18, 9:36 PM
    • 1,158 Posts
    • 2,799 Thanks
    theboylard
    • 7th Aug 18, 9:36 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 9:36 PM
    I left Iresa at the beginning of July and moved to Utility Point - also moved my gas from Zog who have been great but a dual fuel deal works out fractionally better for us this year.

Don't be scared of the small supplier - I found Iresa to be fine for us, no issues at all with billing including two bank moves.
    4kWp, SSE, 16 x 250w EcoFuture BoB with retro-fitted SolarEdge P300 optimisers & SE3500 Inverter, in occasionally sunny Corby, Northants.
    • EricMears
    • By EricMears 8th Aug 18, 7:26 AM
    • 2,340 Posts
    • 4,098 Thanks
    EricMears
    • 8th Aug 18, 7:26 AM
    • 8th Aug 18, 7:26 AM
    Don't be scared of the small supplier - I found Iresa to be fine for us, no issues at all with billing including two bank moves.
    Originally posted by theboylard
    I've had no real problems with Iresa except that they're dreadful at (not) responding to emails ! After 18 months with them, they're still not 'verifying' my start readings - in spite of having passed them on to my previous supplier wo used correct figures to close my previous account.

Ofgem have assured me that any credit balances with Iresa will be refunded by Octopus so I'm not too bothered even if my next supplier also ceases trading.
    N Derbyshire.
    • travellerboy
    • By travellerboy 9th Aug 18, 9:22 PM
    • 748 Posts
    • 367 Thanks
    travellerboy
    • 9th Aug 18, 9:22 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 9:22 PM
    One promising contender is "Bulb" who I understand have a fairly generous referral scheme. Is there a current Bulb customer who'd like to PM me with a link to that scheme ?
    Originally posted by EricMears
    Just today received another email from BULB saying they are likely to increase their rates in November. They arent the cheapest now, so changed yesterday to Eon 12 month fixed ahead of their planned November increase.
    • silverwhistle
    • By silverwhistle 9th Aug 18, 10:39 PM
    • 2,021 Posts
    • 2,670 Thanks
    silverwhistle
    • 9th Aug 18, 10:39 PM
    • 9th Aug 18, 10:39 PM
    Does having solar panels make a difference to which energy supplier you should get?
    I guess it depends on your production/usage,
    Originally posted by sevenhills

Exactly! I'm a very low user (wood stove as well) so I've gone with Ebico for the standing charge free tariff for both gas and electric. I periodically review but it still comes out cheapest for my usage at the moment.
    • jimjames
    • By jimjames 10th Aug 18, 7:52 PM
    • 12,704 Posts
    • 11,395 Thanks
    jimjames
    • 10th Aug 18, 7:52 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 7:52 PM
    In theory, you'd want a zero or low standing charge during the summer but low unit costs during the winter. That could be difficult to arrange !
    The beauty of switching is that you could (in theory) move supplier in spring and autumn to be on the best tariff for that time of year.

Personally I've just used the supplier with the best deal for my consumption levels.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
    • EricMears
    • By EricMears 10th Aug 18, 9:46 PM
    • 2,340 Posts
    • 4,098 Thanks
    EricMears
    • 10th Aug 18, 9:46 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 9:46 PM
    The beauty of switching is that you could (in theory) move supplier in spring and autumn to be on the best tariff for that time of year.

Personally I've just used the supplier with the best deal for my consumption levels.
    Originally posted by jimjames
    Alas, it's only "in theory". In practice, to get best deal you usually have to sign up for 12 months and majority of suppliers would charge an 'exit fee' if you left before that.

Fully agree that estimating next year's usage and accepting best deal those figures offer is almost always best practice. It's worked well for me for last ten years or so.
    N Derbyshire.
    • EricMears
    • By EricMears 11th Aug 18, 10:55 AM
    • 2,340 Posts
    • 4,098 Thanks
    EricMears
    • 11th Aug 18, 10:55 AM
    • 11th Aug 18, 10:55 AM
    I can't actually change suppliers till after 21st Aug but have had another quick look at comparisons. Bulb didn't seem to have a fixed price option and the daily standing charge seemed rather high. Not sure how long I'd need to stay with them to keep the 50 ? If it's a full year they're probably not the best but if it was only a couple of months they would be. Will look in detail at the various options when I'm allowed to change.
    N Derbyshire.
    • Chris Type R
    • By Chris Type R 11th Aug 18, 11:26 AM
    • 16 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Chris Type R
    I can't actually change suppliers till after 21st Aug but have had another quick look at comparisons. Bulb didn't seem to have a fixed price option and the daily standing charge seemed rather high. Not sure how long I'd need to stay with them to keep the 50 ? If it's a full year they're probably not the best but if it was only a couple of months they would be. Will look in detail at the various options when I'm allowed to change.
    https://bulb.co.uk/terms/ Section 17, I think.
    Central Beds, 2.02kW South facing with shade. SunnyBoy Inverter. Planning to SolarEdge soon.
    • EricMears
    • By EricMears 11th Aug 18, 12:32 PM
    • 2,340 Posts
    • 4,098 Thanks
    EricMears
    https://bulb.co.uk/terms/ Section 17, I think.
    Thanks, it is indeed Sect 17 :-

17.2.7. If the Recruit cancels their agreement with Bulb before the Switch Date, this will result in the cancellation of the Referrer's Reward and the Recruit's Reward.<
    17.2.8. The Referrer will be notified by email once a Recruit has signed up, on the Sign Up Date, and again when the Reward has been earned
    17.2.9. Rewards will be delivered to the Referrer and the Recruit as credit into their account on the Switch Date. This is usually 21 days after the Sign Up Date.
    It doesn't appear that there is any obligation to stay with Bulb (apart from the obvious one of needing to stay until the sign-up date and probably for 21 days after that) though if anyone knows different please shout.
    Last edited by MSE ForumTeam3; 11-08-2018 at 1:05 PM.
    N Derbyshire.
    • pinnks
    • By pinnks 11th Aug 18, 1:17 PM
    • 619 Posts
    • 1,369 Thanks
    pinnks
    This is interesting. Just did myself a like-for-like quote with my current big 6 provider etc etc and Bulb is a whopping 80 or 14% more expensive - and more for 100% green energy. Hmm, what does that tell us?
    Wiltshire - 5.25kWp
    3.5kWp: 14 x Phono Solar 250 Onyx, Sunny Boy 4000TL, WSW 40 degrees, June 2013
    1.75kWp: 7 x Phono Solar 250 Onyx, Sunny Boy 1600TL, SSE 45 degrees, March 2014
    • EricMears
    • By EricMears 11th Aug 18, 2:44 PM
    • 2,340 Posts
    • 4,098 Thanks
    EricMears
    This is interesting. Just did myself a like-for-like quote with my current big 6 provider etc etc and Bulb is a whopping 80 or 14% more expensive - and more for 100% green energy. Hmm, what does that tell us?
    Originally posted by pinnks
    I suspect it tells us that all the electricity companies quote different prices for different people. Sometimes it's based on postcode, other times it probably depends on other random factors.
    N Derbyshire.
    • zeupater
    • By zeupater 12th Aug 18, 6:43 PM
    • 4,257 Posts
    • 5,654 Thanks
    zeupater
    I suspect it tells us that all the electricity companies quote different prices for different people. Sometimes it's based on postcode, other times it probably depends on other random factors.
    Hi

... With the main 'random factors' likely being consumer usage relative to the unit price to standing charge ratio as it has different effect of diluting the standing charge as customer usage changes ...

Don't you just love the unnecessary complexity the industry hides behind to avoid the competitive nature that simply price transparency would provide!

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    • KevinG
    • By KevinG 12th Aug 18, 7:18 PM
    • 1,190 Posts
    • 2,823 Thanks
    KevinG
    Originally posted by pinnks
    There is one wholesale price for energy, irrespective of its source so Bulb cannot offer a different price for renewable energy; there is no separate market. I am with Bulb and more than happy with the price (which isn't quite the lowest but it's not far off) and service.
    Last edited by KevinG; 12-08-2018 at 7:21 PM.
    Baxi Ecogen 24/1.0 Micro-CHP boiler installed Oct-2010; 2kWp Solar PV - 10*200W Kioto, SMA Sunny Boy 2000HF, SSE facing, some shading in winter, 37 pitch, installed Jun-2011, inverter replaced Sep-2017.
    • KevinG
    • By KevinG 12th Aug 18, 7:20 PM
    • 1,190 Posts
    • 2,823 Thanks
    KevinG
    Bulb has one tariff, full stop. It does vary by "postcode" (old Electricity Board areas) but so it does for every supplier.
    Baxi Ecogen 24/1.0 Micro-CHP boiler installed Oct-2010; 2kWp Solar PV - 10*200W Kioto, SMA Sunny Boy 2000HF, SSE facing, some shading in winter, 37 pitch, installed Jun-2011, inverter replaced Sep-2017.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,372Posts Today

8,357Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin