Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ripplyuk
    • By ripplyuk 7th Aug 18, 7:15 PM
    • 1,789Posts
    • 1,652Thanks
    ripplyuk
    Canít afford to travel to hospital appointments
    • 7th Aug 18, 7:15 PM
    Canít afford to travel to hospital appointments 7th Aug 18 at 7:15 PM
    Iím unable to walk very far lately and at times, cannot walk at all. The doctors are still trying to work out what the problem is. I still have a lot more tests to go through. Problem is, I live in a very rural area. There is no public transport at all. Even if there was, I would be unable to use it. I have no family or friends who can drive me to all these appointments.

A taxi to the hospital would cost about £75 each way. I could never afford even one appointment at that price. There is a rural transport service but they donít go out of the local area so they canít help. Does anyone know what I can do? Iím getting desperate and I really need to get to these appointments.
Page 1
    • Ames
    • By Ames 7th Aug 18, 7:36 PM
    • 17,721 Posts
    • 31,337 Thanks
    Ames
    • 7th Aug 18, 7:36 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 7:36 PM
    You could contact PALS at the hospital and ask what patient transport is available. I have regular treatment and there are patients being dropped off and picked up, some from quite far away. It's not ideal as they do it on a fixed route so you can be travelling for a long time, and be waiting after appointments.

Some hospitals also have a volunteer scheme for patients to be given lifts.

As I said, I think PALS would be the people to ask - google it and your hospital trust.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
    • ripplyuk
    • By ripplyuk 7th Aug 18, 9:28 PM
    • 1,789 Posts
    • 1,652 Thanks
    ripplyuk
    • 7th Aug 18, 9:28 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 9:28 PM
    As I said, I think PALS would be the people to ask - google it and your hospital trust.
    Originally posted by Ames
    Iím in Northern Ireland and we donít have PALS here. I did ring the hospital and ask but the lady just said itís not up to them to help and that Iíd have to find my own way.

I know there is a patient transport scheme but she said it is only for people who are completely immobile and need medical support whilst travelling.
    • Flugelhorn
    • By Flugelhorn 7th Aug 18, 9:37 PM
    • 1,067 Posts
    • 1,288 Thanks
    Flugelhorn
    • 7th Aug 18, 9:37 PM
    some rural areas have volunteer drivers who do trips just for the fuel money and a donation to a local charity. https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/community-transport

http://www.volunteernow.co.uk/volunteering/volunteer-driving
    • esmy
    • By esmy 7th Aug 18, 9:37 PM
    • 1,105 Posts
    • 4,358 Thanks
    esmy
    Red Cross?? I know they used to assist with transport for patients with mobility issues
    http://www.nicva.org/organisation/british-red-cross-ni-belfast
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 7th Aug 18, 9:50 PM
    • 39,249 Posts
    • 36,204 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    • 7th Aug 18, 9:50 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 9:50 PM
    Ask at your GP surgery?

I've just done a google because what you've been told seems downright wrong. Did you find this? Will your GP confirm that you meet the criteria?
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 2 hats, 2 balaclavas for seamen, 1 balaclava for myself, multiple poppies, 3 peony flowers, 4 butterflies ...
    Current projects: ready to decrease / decreasing on all parts of the mohair cardigan pattern! but moved onto wrist warmers for friends at Christmas ...
    • Nicki
    • By Nicki 8th Aug 18, 9:43 AM
    • 7,780 Posts
    • 27,787 Thanks
    Nicki
    • 8th Aug 18, 9:43 AM
    • 8th Aug 18, 9:43 AM
    If you genuinely have no friends or family who can drive and don't qualify for patient transfer, could you perhaps take a taxi from your home to the nearest point where you can access public transport rather than all the way to the hospital? That would be a lot less than £75 each way surely.

Or could you join a local Facebook page and ask for volunteers to drive you in return for petrol money. Or speak to the local church and ask if they would ask for volunteers. My experience of Northern Ireland is that there is great community spirit and most people are happy to help out someone in need so I'd be surprised if you can't find someone to help with at least some of these trips.

Longer term if this is a chronic condition you may need to move closer to transport links or the hospital however.
    • fibonarchie
    • By fibonarchie 8th Aug 18, 10:02 AM
    • 904 Posts
    • 1,559 Thanks
    fibonarchie
    • 8th Aug 18, 10:02 AM
    • 8th Aug 18, 10:02 AM
    If you genuinely have no friends or family who can drive and don't qualify for patient transfer, could you perhaps take a taxi from your home to the nearest point where you can access public transport rather than all the way to the hospital? That would be a lot less than £75 each way surely.

Or could you join a local Facebook page and ask for volunteers to drive you in return for petrol money. Or speak to the local church and ask if they would ask for volunteers. My experience of Northern Ireland is that there is great community spirit and most people are happy to help out someone in need so I'd be surprised if you can't find someone to help with at least some of these trips.

Longer term if this is a chronic condition you may need to move closer to transport links or the hospital however.
    Originally posted by Nicki
    But it seems so wrong that she's been told by hospital staff that it's not their problem how she gets there. (How rude!!). I don't know if or how the NHS differs in N.I. but here on the mainland the NHS stump up for all manner of stupid things that are supposedly essential for the patient's wellbeing (horse riding lessons, computers, etc etc). If she's having to pay £75 to get there she should bill them for it.
    Signature Removed by Forum Team ..thanks to somebody reporting a witty and decades-old Kenny Everett quote as 'offensive'!!
    • ripplyuk
    • By ripplyuk 8th Aug 18, 12:24 PM
    • 1,789 Posts
    • 1,652 Thanks
    ripplyuk
    • 8th Aug 18, 12:24 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 12:24 PM
    I wouldnít be able to use buses/trains even if I lived closer to public transport. I also have ASD and mental health problems so Iím not good at being chatty with people or on Facebook etc. Iím not religious so I donít think a church would want to help and also Iíd be nervous about traveling with strangers. The volunteer driver scheme here only covers the local area, not as far as the hospital.

The problem with the patient transport service is that it says I would have to be unable to travel by any other method. That isnít true for me. I would be physically able to travel by taxi. I just canít afford it.

Iíll email the Red Cross and ask them.
    • fibonarchie
    • By fibonarchie 8th Aug 18, 12:47 PM
    • 904 Posts
    • 1,559 Thanks
    fibonarchie
    The problem with the patient transport service is that it says I would have to be unable to travel by any other method. That isn!!!8217;t true for me. I would be physically able to travel by taxi. I just can!!!8217;t afford it.
    Originally posted by ripplyuk
    From the patient transport service website:

This reason could be that you are immobile and unable to utilise public transport, or as a result of your treatment.
    I would interpret that as not being able to go by bus or train. Ask your GP, you've got nothing to lose. They can only say no

Patients can't be expected to pay £75 each time they need a hospital appointment, that's ridiculous. See what your doctor says.
    Signature Removed by Forum Team ..thanks to somebody reporting a witty and decades-old Kenny Everett quote as 'offensive'!!
    • fibonarchie
    • By fibonarchie 8th Aug 18, 1:32 PM
    • 904 Posts
    • 1,559 Thanks
    fibonarchie
    Just for clarity, here's a link to the general definition of public transport. It's things like buses, trains, ferries, trams, coaches, airlines etc. I'm pretty sure taxis don't count as public transport.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_transport

Public transport (also known as public transportation, public transit, or mass transit) is transport of passengers by group travel systems available for use by the general public, typically managed on a schedule, operated on established routes,
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 8th Aug 18, 1:58 PM
    • 22,838 Posts
    • 11,400 Thanks
    lisyloo
    I!!!8217;m not religious so I don!!!8217;t think a church would want to help

It's your attitude or presumptions about other people that are stoping you getting help.
    There are people who will be willing to help you.

Out of interest what happened to all your friends and family?
    • NCC-1701
    • By NCC-1701 8th Aug 18, 2:10 PM
    • 282 Posts
    • 399 Thanks
    NCC-1701
    It's your attitude or presumptions about other people that are stoping you getting help.
    There are people who will be willing to help you.

Out of interest what happened to all your friends and family?
    Originally posted by lisyloo

Ö.and what happened to the car you had in April?

Iíve got a Nextbase 412gw and itís hardwired in. When I turn the car off, it stays on. I donít know exactly how long for but itís over an hour at least. I thought it would go into stand-by mode quickly but it doesnít. I rang the customer support and was told not to worry be there is built-in battery protection but Iím not sure I want to rely on that. I donít drive a lot of miles so the battery wouldnít get very long to charge up. Also during freezing winter temperatures I donít think itís a good idea to let this drain the battery further.

I tried turning on parking mode but it still doesnít turn off. Also, the screen doesnít automatically go blank after a few minutes like the manual says it should.
    • lindens
    • By lindens 8th Aug 18, 2:12 PM
    • 2,233 Posts
    • 7,098 Thanks
    lindens
    I wouldnít be able to use buses/trains even if I lived closer to public transport. I also have ASD and mental health problems so Iím not good at being chatty with people or on Facebook etc. Iím not religious so I donít think a church would want to help and also Iíd be nervous about traveling with strangers. The volunteer driver scheme here only covers the local area, not as far as the hospital.

The problem with the patient transport service is that it says I would have to be unable to travel by any other method. That isnít true for me. I would be physically able to travel by taxi. I just canít afford it.

Iíll email the Red Cross and ask them.
    You seem to be putting a lot of obstacles in the way, such that your choices are reduced to almost nothing
    You're not your * could have not of * Debt not dept *
    • ripplyuk
    • By ripplyuk 8th Aug 18, 2:26 PM
    • 1,789 Posts
    • 1,652 Thanks
    ripplyuk
    Nothing has happened my family and friends. They simply arenít willing/ able to help. And I wasnít unwell in April. I canít drive now.
    • lindens
    • By lindens 8th Aug 18, 2:29 PM
    • 2,233 Posts
    • 7,098 Thanks
    lindens
    you don't say which hospital but i found this - if this is the wrong hospital then have you googled for your own hospital?
    http://www.belfasttrust.hscni.net/hospitals/TravelExpenses.htm
    You're not your * could have not of * Debt not dept *
    • NCC-1701
    • By NCC-1701 8th Aug 18, 2:29 PM
    • 282 Posts
    • 399 Thanks
    NCC-1701
    Nothing has happened my family and friends. They simply arenít willing/ able to help. And I wasnít unwell in April. I canít drive now.

Your partner?
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 8th Aug 18, 2:34 PM
    • 22,838 Posts
    • 11,400 Thanks
    lisyloo
    The problem with the patient transport service is that it says I would have to be unable to travel by any other method. That isn!!!8217;t true for me. I would be physically able to travel by taxi. I just can!!!8217;t afford it.

So you are unable ot travel by taxi as you don't have the money !
    Why are you deciding for yourslef that this option isn't open to you as well as help from the church??

If they turn you down then fair enough, but you have decided to turn down both these options.
    If you turn down everything then there isn't an option is there.

How come you don't have savings or emergency fund?

Why aren't your family willing to help when you are unwell?
    or is it that again you decided to turn down this option without asking if they will help?
    • fibonarchie
    • By fibonarchie 8th Aug 18, 2:39 PM
    • 904 Posts
    • 1,559 Thanks
    fibonarchie
    To be fair, not everyone's family lives nearby, and they have their own lives to lead. We're lucky where we live in that the hospital that's about 40 miles away has a public transport link to it, otherwise I don't know what I'd do!
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 8th Aug 18, 2:44 PM
    • 22,838 Posts
    • 11,400 Thanks
    lisyloo
    To be fair, not everyone's family lives nearby, and they have their own lives to lead. We're lucky where we live in that the hospital that's about 40 miles away has a public transport link to it, otherwise I don't know what I'd do!
    Originally posted by fibonarchie

If you were really stuck, would you be willing to ask charities whether they were christian, buddhist or muslim?
    Or would you decide in advance that they are not going to help you, so you'd lose the use of your legs?

See a pretty clear choice to me. I'd be willing to go with the monster raving looning party if it was my health.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

499Posts Today

3,616Users online

Martin's Twitter