Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • fibonarchie
    • By fibonarchie 7th Aug 18, 10:06 AM
    • 904Posts
    • 1,559Thanks
    fibonarchie
    how to freshen my loo.. the old style way
    • 7th Aug 18, 10:06 AM
    how to freshen my loo.. the old style way 7th Aug 18 at 10:06 AM
    I like to use a bit of toilet deodoriser in our loo, and was wondering about making my own using essential oil. Do you think this would work?

I was thinking instead of using this one that I bought, I could maybe just put a drop of pine essential oil into the water in the loo after use, to freshen the air in our bathroom.

Seems much cheaper and more environment friendly, but I haven't heard of anyone else doing this..
    Signature Removed by Forum Team ..thanks to somebody reporting a witty and decades-old Kenny Everett quote as 'offensive'!!
Page 1
    • Mummy2cheekymonkeys
    • By Mummy2cheekymonkeys 7th Aug 18, 10:28 AM
    • 186 Posts
    • 1,306 Thanks
    Mummy2cheekymonkeys
    • 7th Aug 18, 10:28 AM
    • 7th Aug 18, 10:28 AM
    I know on supershoppers recently they made their own version of v.i. poo which was basically a small spray bottle with about 80% water 20% vodka and a couple of drops of essential oil. They just gave it a good shake each time and then sprayed. I haven't tried it out yet but will give it a try soon.
    • Out, Vile Jelly
    • By Out, Vile Jelly 7th Aug 18, 10:31 AM
    • 4,246 Posts
    • 14,496 Thanks
    Out, Vile Jelly
    • 7th Aug 18, 10:31 AM
    • 7th Aug 18, 10:31 AM
    I clean mine regularly with cheap bleach, and always have a bathroom window open. Not keen on weird perfume smells in the home.
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
    • fibonarchie
    • By fibonarchie 7th Aug 18, 10:47 AM
    • 904 Posts
    • 1,559 Thanks
    fibonarchie
    • 7th Aug 18, 10:47 AM
    • 7th Aug 18, 10:47 AM
    I clean mine regularly with cheap bleach, and always have a bathroom window open. Not keen on weird perfume smells in the home.
    Originally posted by Out, Vile Jelly
    Our bathroom doesn't have any windows! It's inside, in the middle of the flat/building. It does have an extractor fan but I don't think it's really man enough for the job.
    Signature Removed by Forum Team ..thanks to somebody reporting a witty and decades-old Kenny Everett quote as 'offensive'!!
    • rach_k
    • By rach_k 7th Aug 18, 12:37 PM
    • 1,344 Posts
    • 2,332 Thanks
    rach_k
    • 7th Aug 18, 12:37 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 12:37 PM
    If it's to freshen the air in the bathroom, rather than to actually clean the loo, I think it would be better to use something like a diffuser (and just clean the loo as needed). There are plenty of instructions online for making reed diffusers cheaply yourself, using essential oils and vodka I believe.

If you put the oil directly into the toilet, you'll wash it away every time you flush it (possibly wasting it) and it will go into the sewers. Just because something is natural doesn't mean it's okay to flush it (and yes I know, a few drops a day is a tiny amount but if everybody did it...).

If you really want to use a plain drop of essential oil, you could drop it onto an old bottle lid or something.
    • Sayschezza
    • By Sayschezza 7th Aug 18, 1:08 PM
    • 345 Posts
    • 2,945 Thanks
    Sayschezza
    • 7th Aug 18, 1:08 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 1:08 PM
    If anyone has made a smell simply light a match and waft it around for a second or two. Burns off any nasties in the air.
    • Mr_Singleton
    • By Mr_Singleton 7th Aug 18, 6:55 PM
    • 990 Posts
    • 1,929 Thanks
    Mr_Singleton
    • 7th Aug 18, 6:55 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 6:55 PM
    I like to use a bit of toilet deodoriser in our loo
    Originally posted by fibonarchie
    In all seriousness if you need to use a deodoriser maybe you would be better off looking at your diet.
    • fibonarchie
    • By fibonarchie 7th Aug 18, 7:37 PM
    • 904 Posts
    • 1,559 Thanks
    fibonarchie
    • 7th Aug 18, 7:37 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 7:37 PM
    If anyone has made a smell simply light a match and waft it around for a second or two. Burns off any nasties in the air.
    Originally posted by Sayschezza
    Bless your cotton socks, if I did that after my OH's been in there the whole block'd go up
    • fibonarchie
    • By fibonarchie 7th Aug 18, 7:42 PM
    • 904 Posts
    • 1,559 Thanks
    fibonarchie
    • 7th Aug 18, 7:42 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 7:42 PM
    If it's to freshen the air in the bathroom, rather than to actually clean the loo, I think it would be better to use something like a diffuser (and just clean the loo as needed). There are plenty of instructions online for making reed diffusers cheaply yourself, using essential oils and vodka I believe.

If you put the oil directly into the toilet, you'll wash it away every time you flush it (possibly wasting it) and it will go into the sewers. Just because something is natural doesn't mean it's okay to flush it (and yes I know, a few drops a day is a tiny amount but if everybody did it...).

If you really want to use a plain drop of essential oil, you could drop it onto an old bottle lid or something.
    Originally posted by rach_k
    Yes it's to deodorise after using the loo, rather than to clean it. (I just use ajax to clean it). I did wonder if essential oil would have some sort of detrimental effect on the pipes, etc. V I Poo seems safe to use (but at 10 a bottle in Morrissons it's very pricey, so I don't buy it).
    • coffeehound
    • By coffeehound 7th Aug 18, 8:21 PM
    • 2,149 Posts
    • 3,382 Thanks
    coffeehound
    Zoflora is really concentrated isn't it - a micro-drop of that in the pan might do the trick.
    • rach_k
    • By rach_k 7th Aug 18, 10:24 PM
    • 1,344 Posts
    • 2,332 Thanks
    rach_k
    Yes it's to deodorise after using the loo, rather than to clean it. (I just use ajax to clean it). I did wonder if essential oil would have some sort of detrimental effect on the pipes, etc. V I Poo seems safe to use (but at 10 a bottle in Morrissons it's very pricey, so I don't buy it).
    I don't think essential oils would affect your plumbing, but I don't know how things like that might accumulate in the waterways. Some (many?) of them are toxic if ingested and I assume toxic to aquatic life so I'd personally not be happy using them in every toilet flush.

Sprays like VIPoo and essential oils don't actually deodorise anything; they just add another smell to the air. Some work better than others! The match trick is better at removing the smell.
    • Shirleykate
    • By Shirleykate 8th Aug 18, 1:26 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Shirleykate
    Bless your cotton socks, if I did that after my OH's been in there the whole block'd go up
    Striking a match really works though. Try it. I keep a book of matches in me bag when visiting friends, or to avoid embarrassment with occasional use of public loos.
    • Shirleykate
    • By Shirleykate 8th Aug 18, 1:31 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Shirleykate
    It works fibonarchie. But make OH strike his own match. There's a limit to the services we gals should perform!
    • Denando
    • By Denando 8th Aug 18, 3:36 PM
    • 103 Posts
    • 116 Thanks
    Denando
    I put a couple of drops of essential oil inside the toilet roll, on the cardboard. That way it gets 'wafted' every time the roll spins. In winter I have an oil holder that sticks to the back of the radiator, or I just use oil on a tissue behind the radiator.

For actually in the toilet, I recently saw a video of how to make cleaner 'bombs' (like bath bombs, not the 'boom' type) that you could drop in and it would fizz up and deodorise. Think it was citric acid and bicarb with oils, made in ice cube trays.
    • tugra
    • By tugra 14th Aug 18, 11:33 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    tugra
    I've always put a tea-light in a nice little tray together with a lighter or book matches on the cistern or a nearby shelf, for people who wish to disguise any "aromas". They ignite it on their arrival in the bathroom. So no need to add extra chemicals to the environment. Works for us, anyway - except my son keeps forgetting!
    • klew356
    • By klew356 15th Aug 18, 8:45 AM
    • 364 Posts
    • 2,016 Thanks
    klew356
    theres nothing better than the smell of bleach in a bog!
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 15th Aug 18, 9:26 AM
    • 27,031 Posts
    • 57,559 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Originally posted by rach_k
    And an old wooden peg, or bamboo skewer, whatever is available.

Completely agree with the rest of the post. Oil down the sewers is a complete no-no, although a drop of Zoflora goes a long way!
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • speckyhen
    • By speckyhen 15th Aug 18, 6:07 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    speckyhen
    My loo brush container has water and a few drops of Zoflora in it. Keeps the brush smelling sweet and a few brushes around the loo helps freshen the air too.
    Happiness is knowing what you can do without
    • Frankie56
    • By Frankie56 15th Aug 18, 6:35 PM
    • 58 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    Frankie56
    Essential oils are extracted from plants so won't do harm if flushed down the loo. Bleach would do much more harm.
    • McAllystar
    • By McAllystar 15th Aug 18, 8:39 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    McAllystar
    Don't do it!
    One of the above posts mentioned that essential oils are harmful to aquatic life and they're right. Many EO's are toxic and carcinogenic. I know lots of ppl think because they're natural it's fine but any qualified aromatherapist will warn you of the dangers. They can be quite serious especially if flushing it down the loo becomes a thing!
    Last edited by McAllystar; 15-08-2018 at 8:40 PM. Reason: So it makes sense
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,748Posts Today

7,721Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's Twitter poll: On Brexit, which is more important to you right now certainty or outcome. Ie would you prefe? https://t.co/En38QfRh3o

• Many saying sexism or ego. My suspicion as someone who works in TV is that this is a format point. I'd think whe? https://t.co/AXfrv5YqKA

• I do always ponder when watching apprentice why Lord Sugar is "Lord Sugar" but Baroness Bradey is Karen. #bbctheapprentice

• Follow Martin