Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 7th Aug 18, 1:42 AM
    • 1,673Posts
    • 18,498Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    Old Style Daily Tuesday 7th August 2018
    • 7th Aug 18, 1:42 AM
    Old Style Daily Tuesday 7th August 2018 7th Aug 18 at 1:42 AM
    This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.
    Last edited by Hollyharvey; 07-08-2018 at 5:38 AM.
Page 1
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 7th Aug 18, 1:50 AM
    • 1,673 Posts
    • 18,498 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    • 7th Aug 18, 1:50 AM
    • 7th Aug 18, 1:50 AM
    Morning everyone

The forecast is for yet more sunshine and hot weather today, so I am going to go off somewhere today as usual. I had a lovely lunch in a seafront pub yesterday of seafood casserole and warm crusty bread. It was one of the best meals out I have had for a long time. I’ve got used to eating out on my own this summer as well which is good. It has given me the confidence to go to more places on my own.

I need to go through my wardrobe and sort out what I’m not wearing and take it to the charity shop. I realised yesterday that there are a lot of things still in there that I haven’t worn since the last cull.

I’m on watering duties for one of my neighbours as well this week, and by the time I got home yesterday and organised it was getting dark. Watering someone else’s garden at dusk wasn’t much fun, so I need to make a point of doing it earlier today.

Elona how exciting . Any news?

Gers glad to hear that your mum is recovering well, I hope that she comes home today as planned.

TA thinking of you and MR TA, and I hope that you are able to get the results of the scans today.

Csarina I hope that your husband starts to pick up soon and that his scans are all completed by Wednesday as currently planned.

Lainey it was good to hear that your sister in law is back home and starting to make a recovery.

Silver-oldie I’m sorry to hear that your husband is struggling more with his health, as you say health is more important than a few pounds off your shopping.

Snoozer I hope that Steve’s appointment goes as well as these things can today.

Nanny I’m sorry to hear that Mr Fixit has hurt his knee. At least it is making him sit down rather than mending sheds.

I hope that you all have the best day possible everyone.
    • Elona
    • By Elona 7th Aug 18, 3:19 AM
    • 346 Posts
    • 3,544 Thanks
    Elona
    • 7th Aug 18, 3:19 AM
    • 7th Aug 18, 3:19 AM
    Holly

Thanks for starting the thread.

I just heard from middle dd and baby is fine. operation seems to have gone well and dd will be out of theatre soon.

Trying to get some sleep now.

Hugs to all
    • ancientofdays
    • By ancientofdays 7th Aug 18, 5:14 AM
    • 1,976 Posts
    • 24,260 Thanks
    ancientofdays
    • 7th Aug 18, 5:14 AM
    • 7th Aug 18, 5:14 AM
    Congratulations Elona, that's lovely news.

I had a busy day yesterday so didn't get here, will go to yesterday's thread in a minute.

Thinking of TA, Csarina2, Snoozer, Poppy and all of us who are unwell or worried about others' health.

Hollyharvey, that sounds like my sort of meal, enjoy your day!
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 7th Aug 18, 5:40 AM
    • 1,673 Posts
    • 18,498 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    • 7th Aug 18, 5:40 AM
    • 7th Aug 18, 5:40 AM
    Congratulations Elona, that's really good news .
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 7th Aug 18, 5:53 AM
    • 12,731 Posts
    • 44,424 Thanks
    Nelski
    • 7th Aug 18, 5:53 AM
    • 7th Aug 18, 5:53 AM
    Yeah... congratulations Granny Elona Hope mum and baby are both doing well. You must be so excited

Morning all

Early work day today and I could quite happily sneak back to bed. Thank you for all the laughs yesterday re my mother shopping activity. Safe to say she drove me nuts yesterday, managed to insult me more times than I can remember and we completed at least 3 full laps of Morrisons.......if I never saw that place again it would be too soon. Lunch was nice though and a good bargain at 4.95 with enough for tonight too.

Heading into the city soon aka sitting in a traffic jam for an hour or so. I have only 3 delegates which can be fine but will depend on them. Gonna take a pack up with me as its expensive enough to park without adding a lunch on top too. I have some rolls and tuna sweetcorn but knowing me will have them snaffled by 10am lol I am never good at waiting for a pack up.

Weather starting to head downwards here now its still warm but no real sun to speak of. Glad I made the most of a fabulous weekend.

Anyway have a lovely day all especially Elona
    TA hope all is as well as it can be
    • nmlc
    • By nmlc 7th Aug 18, 6:30 AM
    • 3,257 Posts
    • 45,316 Thanks
    nmlc
    • 7th Aug 18, 6:30 AM
    • 7th Aug 18, 6:30 AM
    Morning everyone

hollyharvey - thanks for starting us off x

Hugs to those that want/need one, especially those that are poorly or have poorly family/friends x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

Very cloudy, misty and overcast start to the day here, but forecast another hot and sunny day once the mist burns off. Washing ready to go out on the line too.

DH up and gone to work stupid early, DS1 getting ready for work and DS2 still in his pit, will wake him shortly as he wants to go for a run before it gets to hot.

Dinner last night was scampi, chips/jacket potato, beans/veg for the menfolk, I had oven baked cod, jacket potato and veg. Tonight we'll be having sausages, mash, peas/veg and gravy.

Work yesterday was a nightmare, the cash machines still weren't working properly but also we couldn't cash them up, so a bit of a nightmare and when we finished at close of business yesterday they still weren't working although we'd been able to cash them up. No-one has been able to confirm when they will be sorted. We'll see, at least it's my early finish day today.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
    • redruby
    • By redruby 7th Aug 18, 7:18 AM
    • 6,878 Posts
    • 96,335 Thanks
    redruby
    • 7th Aug 18, 7:18 AM
    • 7th Aug 18, 7:18 AM
    Morning all

Another scorcher here shame I am off to work, it was really busy yesterday and so hot we were melting !! Still the weather is meant to turn at the weekend so we are making the most of it.

Work today and its water fun and bouncy castles so should be busy which makes the day go faster.

Lasagne for dinner tonight with salad and garlic bread lasagne is already made and in the fridge so a nice easy meal.

DD exchanged yesterday so I think is moving on the 17th she may be able to get the keys earlier and start moving bits in before hand which will free up space in my house.

Elona Congratulations Granny what lovely news, did your DD had to have a caesarean ? I hope she is ok xx

Hugs to all the poorlys , I hope things start to improve for you all soon xx

Nelski Ive heard grape groping in very on trend atm

Have good days all xx
    • I Love comps
    • By I Love comps 7th Aug 18, 7:26 AM
    • 1,263 Posts
    • 5,301 Thanks
    I Love comps
    • 7th Aug 18, 7:26 AM
    • 7th Aug 18, 7:26 AM
    Morning Everyone,

Hollyharvey Have another wonderful day at the seaside.

Congratulations Elona

Thinking of the TA'S

Today I be will catching up on the jobs I did not get done yesterday.

Lovely sunny day again here.

Sending everyone a hug who needs one x
    I'm a Board Guide on all of the Shopping Boards. "I am a volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly.
    Any views are my own and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board Guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • silver-oldie
    • By silver-oldie 7th Aug 18, 7:46 AM
    • 632 Posts
    • 9,111 Thanks
    silver-oldie
    Good morning all

Thank you for starting us off Holly, pleased you had a lovely day.

Congratulations nanny Elona

TA you are in my thoughts

Gers hope your mum is home soon

Hoping DH's blue badge arrives soon,his old one has now expired. I applied to renew about 8 weeks ago, waited and they sent me more forms.
    It makes life so much easier if we can park near the sm. Wish he was 4 and not 84, sorry but I do find it a bit annoying to see fit healthy mums with children parking in special bays near supermarket and we struggle, often not many disabled parking spaces.
    This hot weather has made it so much worse.
    Sorry rant over, think I'm getting tired.

Hope you all have a good day
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
    • Gers
    • By Gers 7th Aug 18, 8:07 AM
    • 6,862 Posts
    • 45,427 Thanks
    Gers
    Morning folks.

It's decidedly chilly here, I'm hoping that the sun will appear later.

Elona - congratulations to all the family, it's good to hear that all went well and your grandchild has arrived

Silver-Oldie - thanks. I'm hoping she gets back in the morning as the patients are taken to a discharge lounge after breakfast and have to wait around for transport.

I've been round every room in the house to make sure that things are ship-shape. DM likes things 'just so'.

Nelski - I stopped trekking round the supermarket with my DM, couldn't bear the 'three times round and once more 'just in case'' I took to sitting in the cafe, drinking coffee and reading a paper. DM would wander past a few times, dropping in for a sip of coffee sometimes. This made the trips much more bearable.

Still got all the other poorlies in my mind and sending out good vibes.

Happy Tuesday to all.
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 7th Aug 18, 8:15 AM
    • 2,548 Posts
    • 32,011 Thanks
    LaineyT
    Morning all and thanks for the start Holly, glad you are enjoying your summer so much x

Many congratulations to Nanna Elona x

I visited my DSIL yesterday afternoon and it was so good to see her in her own home, relaxed and happy, said will go over later in the week and take her out for tea and cake, always helps with any convalescence I find
    Not too many plans for today, need to make a couple of batches of pasta sauce to use up toms as we cannot keep up with production at the moment.

Thinking of the TA’s and all with worries & cares, take care folks x
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 7th Aug 18, 8:37 AM
    • 1,012 Posts
    • 13,684 Thanks
    nannywindow
    Morning campers
    Just a quick pop in to say Congratulation to Elona on the safe arrival of the DGC. . May your purse be ever open, as far as DGC are concerned ! Hope Mum and baby are well and continue that way. Please give the baby a cuddle from me when you visit.

Right I'm off to get some fruit bread for brekkie and await the window man for a quote. I hope to be back here later, depending on the diagnosis from the broadband engineer .
    Take care all and enjoy your day.
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 7th Aug 18, 8:39 AM
    • 2,218 Posts
    • 18,242 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Morning one and all,

Horrible morning in Glasgow. Rain, wind and dark grey clouds.

I'm still going on my fast, water only, since Sunday nights dinner. Not hungry - so far. Thankfully it stayed dry for football last night and I've been to the gym this morning too. No plans this evening although I might stay late in work.

I've booked flights to Gibraltar next Monday (with work) and I've realised that my passport is still with the passport people for renewal and not due back till after the trip. But, i can get it faster for £101. So I'm going to ask my boss nicely if work could cover it as it's a really important trip.

HH - How's the sleeping going? I assume it's non-existant since you practically posted last night haha!
    Elona - Great news. Hope you managed to sleep a bit better.
    Nelski - What happened to your DJ/colleague guy? Wasn't he helping you at with things? Also, I'm picturing you and your mum going round Morrisons with the Benny Hill music playing!
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16
    • csarina2
    • By csarina2 7th Aug 18, 9:09 AM
    • 2,369 Posts
    • 24,544 Thanks
    csarina2
    Morning ((((((((((hugs)))))))))) if you need one and big hugs to Elona now you are a Nana. I hope everything went ok.

OH was ok yesterday. I went in early in the morning as the library bus comes just after lunch and I needed to hand all the books in. SS messaged me last night to say his dad had been ok all day.

I saw a Dr whilst I was there and made sure he laso had the message re OH coming home, however it does look as if he will be stuck there until all the others have had clear swabs. He did have his EEG yesterday and they are hoping to do his scan tomorrow evening.

I have decided I am going to go in early in the mornings if I can, it gives me longer at home and the day is not so disjointed.

The cleaners are due today, I am going to cut them down to twice a month, as things are I can manage to shove the hoover round id there are bits on the carper, and blow the dust away, so they can do a decent clean every other week.

Today looks like being another hot one. I have the back door and back bedroom windows open till the sun get round. Will shut them once the sunstarts shining on the back and open the front curtains and windows. The tower fan that P brought round is doing stirling service when it gets really hot. I have beef out to cook want to do it before the kitchen gets too hot. Will have some for tonights supper and freeze the rest.

I enjoyed the tikka marsala last night, not too hot. I have sweet and sour pork in the freezer for another treat night.
    • snoozer
    • By snoozer 7th Aug 18, 9:42 AM
    • 2,192 Posts
    • 23,254 Thanks
    snoozer
    silver-oldie, just use the mother and child spaces if you can't find a disabled one. They aren't policed and even if they were a disabled peson trumps a child. I have been known to use one when my small, local Aldi car park is full while I would never use a disabled space.

Elona, congratulations that is lovely news. I'm keeping everything crossed for Laura this month as she actually ovulated for the first time since she started treatment. You lot are privileged with that info because I haven't told anyone in real life. One of her (40 year old) friends is due in December after two miscarriages so that is good news.

Well, today is Dday when we will find out a bit more information on what we are dealing with with regards to Steve's lymphoma. The appointment is 4.30 so we'll have to fill the day. I need to collect a delivery from M & S (pillow protectors so nothing exciting) and we need bread and milk.
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 7th Aug 18, 11:28 AM
    • 1,298 Posts
    • 14,599 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Good morning from a very hot & sunny Isle of Dogs. Currently feeding the squirrel - she is very bold - eating her monkey nuts on the decking about 4 feet from where I am sitting

Thanks for starting us off Holly. So glad you had such a lovely day (and meal ) yesterday. I hope you have another lovely day today you deserve it after the rough start to the year.

Sending gentle hugs to TA & csarinaas well as any else who needs or wants one.

Congratulations nanna Elona - glad DD & baby are doing well

Nelski, hope the delegates are a nice group & that the traffic jam doesn’t turn out as badly as you fear How about mango mauling

nmlc, hope the cash machines are sorted this morning

redruby, so happy for your DD - it is always a worry until contracts are exchanged.

I Love comps, if yesterday’s jobs can wait I would make the most of the sunshine

silver-oldie, you rant away I never fully understand what possesses people to take their kids sm shopping - surely a few mums could take it in turns to babysit while other mums shop but then again maybe as a childless person I shouldn’t comment Hope the Blue Badge turns up very soon

Gers, hope DM is doing well. I did like your sm solution - eminently sensible & probably less stressful for your DM as well as you

Lainey, glad DSIL is on the mend & hope she is well enough to go out for tea & cake

bellabella, winkle indeed

nannywindow, fingers crossed that the broadband can be sorted

Speky, Benny Hill music - that brought a smile to my face . Hope employer is accommodating & that you get to Gibraltar

snoozer, hope everything goes well today

I will be pottering again today but may have a burst of activity when DSis goes to hospital for GI tests (accompanied by my DH as he knows the Royal London very well ) The house will be empty so I can just get on with it - with none of the ‘whatya doing, do you need help’ etc questions

Wishing everyone as good a Tuesday as possible

MrsSD
    • silver-oldie
    • By silver-oldie 7th Aug 18, 1:02 PM
    • 632 Posts
    • 9,111 Thanks
    silver-oldie
    silver-oldie, just use the mother and child spaces if you can't find a disabled one. They aren't policed and even if they were a disabled peson trumps a child. I have been known to use one when my small, local Aldi car park is full while I would never use a disabled space.
    Originally posted by snoozer

Still waiting for blue badge renewal, almost 8 weeks, so can't use disabled places, but don't need badge if you have a child.
    Think this will get worse next year when they extend the blue badge scheme.
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 7th Aug 18, 2:34 PM
    • 16,488 Posts
    • 141,066 Thanks
    JackieO
    Just had my b/badge renewal done ,but I had to keep chasing the council takes ages doesn't it..Then I had to chase the TFL as I get an exemtion for the congestion charge as well, so many blooming forms to fill in I haven't suddenly had a miraculous recovery for my clapped out joints in the space of three years In fact I am three years older and slower now .

Hope you get it sorted soon honey

Took DGS Henry for his interview this morning and we have everything crossed for him He googled interview techniques and when the chap asked him if he had any questions he asked him if HE liked working there ,the man chuckled and said 'Well yes I do, what a good question 'The chap seemed impressed that Henry volunteers at a CS at weekends and said his retail skills would be transferrable so we have everything crossed for him. If nothing else he is getting valuble experience at interviews

still very hot and sticky in the south east ,but hopefully it should be cooler tomorrow, with maybe a drop of rain to freshen things up a bit.

Quiz night at the pub tonight so no cooking needed for me

Hope all our poorlies and worried driends are coping OK.

Cheers chums

JackieO xx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus. 2018:Food Budget only Total spend up to end of November since Jan £349.83 December new month spends so far £11.48
    • poppy811
    • By poppy811 7th Aug 18, 2:43 PM
    • 127 Posts
    • 1,793 Thanks
    poppy811
    Many congratulations Elona, enjoy lots of cuddles.
    TA hope things are improving for your husband and that he can be home with you soon.

I went to see the Oncologist yesterday. Apparently there is a new drug I can have which is gentler than chemo and although it means frequent blood tests and scans should hold things for about 2 years. It should mean I will be able to cope at home without all the side effects of chemo. When it stops working they will review options. Still getting my head around a Life Limiting illness but overwhelmed by the kindness of family and friends.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,627Posts Today

7,073Users online

Martin's Twitter