Buying parents house

My parents owe £50000 on there mortgage house is worth about £90000 they have 1mth to pay remaining amount but don’t have funds question is can I get a mortgage for the £50000 they owe and will I have to pay any inheritance tax

Comments

• Why do they need to find £50k in one month? Would possibly get better answers if we knew whether this was becasue of Interest Only term running out or whether its repossession etc.

Inheritance tax is very unlikely to be an issue as the property value falls within the residential nil rate band. Again without understanding the wealth of the overall estate, its difficult to say 100%

Would suggest you seek the help of a broker because there is so much that needs to be considered with this.
  • rscozzy
    rscozzy Posts: 8 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    My dad has phoned bank of Ireland who he has his mortgage with and they are going to start court action at the end of September if they don!!!8217;t have the money to pay the debt the mortgage loan term ended in July and he still owed £50000
  • As I understood it, lenders were reluctant to repossess in these circumstances, albeit it is within their powers.

The options are as follows;

- Try and negotiate an extension
    - Try and remortgage
    - Try and buy yourself (albeit this may have wider consequences on your ability to borrow going forward)
    - Look at things like lifetime mortgages etc.

Im sure a few of the brokers on here will have far greater experience of this situation and may be able to offer some further clarity to what you should be doing.

if you are exploring other options with other lenders then it is probably important that BOI are updated which may delay legal proceedings. At the end of the day, if they want their money its better this way than repossession.
  • rscozzy
    Thanks for help cheers
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,585 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Do you already have a mortgage on another property?

It would be complicated for you to borrow £50k as obviously you would need some security and the property is in your parents name presumably. They also would not be able to transfer the property into your name so you could raise a mortgage unless the mortgage was paid off.

I would suggest you and your parents ring the Bank of Ireland and ask first of all for an extension as that is the cheapest and easiest option. Whether they agree to it depends on your parents ages and their financial circumstances.

If they wont ask if the mortgage can be transferred into your name but you will need to see a solicitor to organise transferring the house over. It may also pose a problem if the house is worth much more than £50k as effectively you will be receiving a discount. If you own another property it is made even more complicated by way of the fact it would be a 2nd property and you may be liable to stamp duty.

Another option is you raise £50k on your own property if you have enough equity and repay the mortgage using that. Again a solicitor would be needed to sort out the transfer over of the property into your name if that is what is to happen.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • rscozzy
    I don!!!8217;t own any property ....just trying to find best options so parents don!!!8217;t loose there home
    Mum doesn!!!8217;t work and dad retires in September
  • tlc678910
    tlc678910 Posts: 982 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    If both your mum and dad won't be working in September will they be able to help you pay the mortgage? Do they have decent pensions? If they are on a low income they would get help from housing benefit if they were renting (when their savings/equity from the house is under the threshold) but they won't get help paying a mortgage.

Are you happy to take on this mortgage, live at home and pay for this house? It will make it very tough for you to get a home of your own.

Your parents could get in touch with the council and local housing associations to see if they can go on their waiting lists for a property. They might be able to afford a shared ownership property with the equity if they sell their house e.g. Buy 25% and pay rent on the rest. There is a special scheme shared ownership for older people they could look into. If their house is repossessed they will likely get less money than selling privately as there will be fees and charges added.

Hope you can work something out.

Tlc
  • Smellyonion
    Smellyonion Posts: 258 Forumite
    It's quite a small amount for a mortgage
    All they would have to do is sell it to you and transfer the ownership. You pay them 90k from your deposit and mortgage (I hope you have at least 5k for a 5% deposit and income of at least 22k), they pay off their mortgage. They live there and pay you rent.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure