Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Halladay34
    • By Halladay34 6th Aug 18, 10:51 AM
    • 3Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Halladay34
    Time off for interviews - dublin
    • 6th Aug 18, 10:51 AM
    Time off for interviews - dublin 6th Aug 18 at 10:51 AM
    Hi,

I am living and working in Dublin at the moment, originally from the UK and looking to change my job.
    Does anyone know if the law in Ireland is the same as the UK where an employer is obliged to give you time off for the interview?

Struggling to find anything online.

Thanks in advance
Page 1
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 6th Aug 18, 10:54 AM
    • 4,488 Posts
    • 6,474 Thanks
    Nick_C
    • 6th Aug 18, 10:54 AM
    • 6th Aug 18, 10:54 AM
    I wasn't aware that UK gave you the right to take time off work for an interview.

It isn;t listed on the CAB web site.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/work/rights-at-work/basic-rights-and-contracts/time-off-work-overview/

But if you are happy for your employer to know that you are looking for other jobs, then why not ask them?

Of course, if you haven't been there long and they know you are looking around they may just sack you anyway!
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 6th Aug 18, 10:55 AM
    • 6,896 Posts
    • 15,040 Thanks
    marliepanda
    • 6th Aug 18, 10:55 AM
    • 6th Aug 18, 10:55 AM
    Hi,

I am living and working in Dublin at the moment, originally from the UK and looking to change my job.
    Does anyone know if the law in Ireland is the same as the UK where an employer is obliged to give you time off for the interview?

Thanks in advance
    Originally posted by Halladay34
    I didnt realise the law said that in the UK.
    • Doshwaster
    • By Doshwaster 6th Aug 18, 11:08 AM
    • 5,003 Posts
    • 4,125 Thanks
    Doshwaster
    • 6th Aug 18, 11:08 AM
    • 6th Aug 18, 11:08 AM
    I wasn't aware that UK gave you the right to take time off work for an interview.
    Originally posted by Nick_C
    As far as I am aware, that only applies during redundancy notice periods:

https://www.gov.uk/redundant-your-rights/suitable-alternative-employment

Clearly it would be nonsense to have the right to time off for interviews during normal working period as what would there be to stop someone going for interviews every week just to get time off work?
    • Undervalued
    • By Undervalued 6th Aug 18, 12:26 PM
    • 3,692 Posts
    • 3,342 Thanks
    Undervalued
    • 6th Aug 18, 12:26 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 12:26 PM
    As far as I am aware, that only applies during redundancy notice periods:

https://www.gov.uk/redundant-your-rights/suitable-alternative-employment

Clearly it would be nonsense to have the right to time off for interviews during normal working period as what would there be to stop someone going for interviews every week just to get time off work?
    Originally posted by Doshwaster
    Correct.

Also remember an employer can dictate when an employee can and cannot take their holiday. Unless they have any additional contractual rights, the employer can refuse any holiday request providing they are able to take their entitlement at some point during the year.
    • sangie595
    • By sangie595 6th Aug 18, 1:04 PM
    • 5,702 Posts
    • 9,946 Thanks
    sangie595
    • 6th Aug 18, 1:04 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 1:04 PM
    It's also only reasonable time off. Anyone want to venture a guess as to what that means?
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 6th Aug 18, 2:04 PM
    • 5,899 Posts
    • 6,187 Thanks
    Comms69
    • 6th Aug 18, 2:04 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 2:04 PM
    Hi,

Thanks in advance
    Originally posted by Halladay34
    No such law exists (although I think there is something around this when in redundancy, but whether that's just policy im not sure)
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 7th Aug 18, 2:08 AM
    • 39,252 Posts
    • 36,212 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    • 7th Aug 18, 2:08 AM
    • 7th Aug 18, 2:08 AM
    You'll still need to make arrangements for time off for the interviews, but it may be worth you seeing if you can be interviewed by Skype. that would reduce the amount of time you'd need off!
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 2 hats, 2 balaclavas for seamen, 1 balaclava for myself, multiple poppies, 3 peony flowers, 4 butterflies ...
    Current projects: ready to decrease / decreasing on all parts of the mohair cardigan pattern! but moved onto wrist warmers for friends at Christmas ...
    • Doshwaster
    • By Doshwaster 7th Aug 18, 9:58 PM
    • 5,003 Posts
    • 4,125 Thanks
    Doshwaster
    • 7th Aug 18, 9:58 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 9:58 PM
    You'll still need to make arrangements for time off for the interviews, but it may be worth you seeing if you can be interviewed by Skype. that would reduce the amount of time you'd need off!
    Originally posted by Savvy_Sue
    It's very common for first round interviews to be done by Skype (other video conference services are available) or phone but I don't know many employers who would make a job offer without doing a final interview in person.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,824Posts Today

6,597Users online

Martin's Twitter