Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Smurphington
    • By Smurphington 5th Aug 18, 8:39 AM
    • 69Posts
    • 273Thanks
    Smurphington
    Can you get fit without a gym
    • 5th Aug 18, 8:39 AM
    Can you get fit without a gym 5th Aug 18 at 8:39 AM
    I'm a single mum who works 4 days a week so going to the gym is just not a possibility at the moment. I used to enjoy fitness classes and did a lot of them but nowdays walking (which i do a lot of whilst pushimg a 3yr old aroynd) is about the most i do. I was wondering if I could get a bit fitter/build a bit of muscle doing exercise dvds/ you tube videos and if anyone has any recommendations?
Page 1
    • wgl2014
    • By wgl2014 5th Aug 18, 10:24 AM
    • 884 Posts
    • 558 Thanks
    wgl2014
    • 5th Aug 18, 10:24 AM
    • 5th Aug 18, 10:24 AM
    Quick answer - Yes.

Have a look at Joe Wicks on YouTube, other channels available but it's a good place to start.

If you're short on time then interval training is your friend. 20 mins 3 or 4 times a week is enough.
    • tacpot12
    • By tacpot12 5th Aug 18, 11:03 AM
    • 1,426 Posts
    • 1,223 Thanks
    tacpot12
    • 5th Aug 18, 11:03 AM
    • 5th Aug 18, 11:03 AM
    Pushing your 3yr old around will get you fit if you do it vigorously for 20 minutes five times a week. Often this just requires you to take a slightly longer route to/from some you were going to anyway.
    • elsien
    • By elsien 5th Aug 18, 11:07 AM
    • 17,374 Posts
    • 43,795 Thanks
    elsien
    • 5th Aug 18, 11:07 AM
    • 5th Aug 18, 11:07 AM
    Park run - seen other parents doing it with a pushchair.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • Smurphington
    • By Smurphington 5th Aug 18, 11:11 AM
    • 69 Posts
    • 273 Thanks
    Smurphington
    • 5th Aug 18, 11:11 AM
    • 5th Aug 18, 11:11 AM
    Oh I walk about an hour a day pushing her as I don't drive but feel I need something more
    • ruperts
    • By ruperts 5th Aug 18, 1:11 PM
    • 989 Posts
    • 1,645 Thanks
    ruperts
    • 5th Aug 18, 1:11 PM
    • 5th Aug 18, 1:11 PM
    You need a special type of pushchair for it to be safe to run with, but that's one possibility.

There are plenty of outdoor gyms in parks these days. Combining a few exercises on that equipment with some pram running would give you a decent work out.

If it has to be at home and you don't want to buy any equipment then it's still possible, there are no end of work out videos on YouTube that you could follow.
    • parking_question_chap
    • By parking_question_chap 5th Aug 18, 2:18 PM
    • 1,762 Posts
    • 1,565 Thanks
    parking_question_chap
    • 5th Aug 18, 2:18 PM
    • 5th Aug 18, 2:18 PM
    Your fitness gains are determined by what you do, not where you do it.

Walking isnt really going to improve your fitness very much. Can you have somebody watch your child whilst you get in a run? Or perhaps you could have a run when you are on your lunch break at work? Depending on the shower facilities. Could you cycle to work and turn it into a training session?
    • Sea Shell
    • By Sea Shell 5th Aug 18, 3:07 PM
    • 970 Posts
    • 1,561 Thanks
    Sea Shell
    • 5th Aug 18, 3:07 PM
    • 5th Aug 18, 3:07 PM
    A bag of rice in each hand, then step up and down your bottom step for 5 mins including arm lifts/bends. Repeat daily.

It can be as simple as that.
    " That pound I saved yesterday, is a pound I don't have to earn tomorrow "
    • Rosemary7391
    • By Rosemary7391 5th Aug 18, 3:41 PM
    • 2,379 Posts
    • 4,006 Thanks
    Rosemary7391
    • 5th Aug 18, 3:41 PM
    • 5th Aug 18, 3:41 PM
    The NHS has some podcasts for running and strength and flexibility that you can do without much stuff - think the strength/flex one is designed to be done in a park.
    Slinkies 2018 Challenge - 0/80lb lost
    • silverwhistle
    • By silverwhistle 5th Aug 18, 3:50 PM
    • 2,149 Posts
    • 2,968 Thanks
    silverwhistle
    I didn't realise you needed special pushchairs, but if you wanted to get your heart going a bit you could do a sort of fartlek - push, then jog for a bit (when and where might be decided by the pavement and other people).Quite a few ideas in the replies, so hope you find something that works for you.

Another exercise to get the heart going is skipping - cheap equipment and can be done anywhere with a spare 10 minutes.

I play women's football and there are plenty of mums in mine and other teams, but perhaps not practical for you at the moment as it's a bit of a time commitment. But I do exercises for this at home on my own: lifting weights to strengthen my knee and leg muscles, for example.
    • lozzy81
    • By lozzy81 5th Aug 18, 3:59 PM
    • 217 Posts
    • 773 Thanks
    lozzy81
    Check out rebecca louise on YouTube I have been doing some of her 10 min abs work out and they are great, she is really motivational as Well
    Virtual sealed pot 2017 member #14
    30.04/250
    • genetic
    • By genetic 6th Aug 18, 9:25 AM
    • 123 Posts
    • 298 Thanks
    genetic
    I like fitness blender (on youtube). They have lots of body-weight only routines and others where you only need hand weights (or water bottles/ anything heavy and easy to hold). They are a good mix of cardio and strength training and aren't annoying!
    • LilTerryWhite
    • By LilTerryWhite 6th Aug 18, 2:01 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    LilTerryWhite
    Yes!
    There are a lot of cardio sessions on youtube. Start with 20-30 minutes(2 or 3 times a week) and then try to increase your time to 40-60 minutes cardio workout in a month or two.
    Good luck.
    • Soulginge
    • By Soulginge 10th Aug 18, 9:28 AM
    • 27 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    Soulginge
    Absolutely!! Joe Wicks on YouTube is great, both me and my wife can be seen limping round the lounge after one of those. I also find some great workout stuff on Pinterest, just have a bit of a search and it should pop up pretty quick.
    • Alias_Omega
    • By Alias_Omega 10th Aug 18, 9:06 PM
    • 7,237 Posts
    • 3,934 Thanks
    Alias_Omega
    parkrun!

Absolutely free..

• YORKSHIRELASS
    • By YORKSHIRELASS 12th Aug 18, 9:34 AM
    • 4,610 Posts
    • 38,589 Thanks
    YORKSHIRELASS
    Yes, you don't need a gym but if you aren't using a gym and not doing classes you need to be motivated enough to find something that you enjoy and can stick to doing regularly. This is where I always fall down.

As you say, walking will get you fit to a certain degree if you do enough and step it out so you get your heart rate up, but if you really want to get fitter, more toned and lose weight then you need to do something else as well.

I cycle a bit but I also make time for the gym and classess because otherwise I wouldn't do much regular exercise - and the busier I am the more that is true. However I am lucky enough to have older kids so don't have to worry about childcare.

I would try and fit 2 or 3 of the Joe Wicks workouts into your week as they are short but effective. He defintiely does know what he is doing too.
    • photojournalni
    • By photojournalni 14th Aug 18, 9:22 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    photojournalni
    Another advocate for parkrun. One 5km a week added to your current walking with the pushchair will do wonders.
    Ultimately it depends on your overall fitness goal though - do you want to be super fit, or are you happy to just increase what you are currently doing to bring your fitness levels up a notch? If it's the former then i'd suggest doing some body weight exercises and some yoga - all can be done in your living room.

Try the Do You Yoga website - it has some great free classes. I did a 30-day strength workout - 10 to 15 mins a day - and it was remarkable how much strength I gained.
    • Stoke
    • By Stoke 14th Aug 18, 10:25 AM
    • 2,818 Posts
    • 2,762 Thanks
    Stoke
    I'm trying by using resistance bands and going for the occasional run.
    • Smurphington
    • By Smurphington 20th Aug 18, 6:42 AM
    • 69 Posts
    • 273 Thanks
    Smurphington
    Thanks for all the responses. I don't have anyone to help me with childcare unfortunately so park runs are out and i only get a 30 min dinner break so usually try to incorporate a walk into that. However I could definitely try to do something at home and do have some dumbbells, not super heavy ones but better than nowt! I could probably fit 30mins in so I will try to do that as often as I can
    • Murphybear
    • By Murphybear 26th Aug 18, 8:24 PM
    • 3,921 Posts
    • 7,832 Thanks
    Murphybear
    Can you fit in some time to go swimming? Easy way to get fit and you can take your 3 year old, most children love it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,100Posts Today

9,205Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • How much of your income do you spend on holidays each year? Please vote in this week's MSE site poll... https://t.co/LZ3YIGra1p

• RT @FinanceJames: @MartinSLewis Absolutely do. I've been shouldered out of the way by cyclists - while on a bike myself - because I'd stopp?

• I no longer have a car. I mostly walk (& occasionally cycle). I don't need lecturing on bad drivers, I lost my moth? https://t.co/tsBYUEhRjt

• Follow Martin