Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jolly23
    • By Jolly23 12th Jul 18, 8:43 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Jolly23
    Lifetime Equity Release from Aviva
    • 12th Jul 18, 8:43 PM
    Lifetime Equity Release from Aviva 12th Jul 18 at 8:43 PM
    Does anyone have experience of how Aviva operates after a family member has died? On their website it just says the property will be sold immediately without going into details. Do Aviva sell it at auction or does the person named in the will have time to find an estate agent and redecorate etc.?
Page 1
    • antrobus
    • By antrobus 12th Jul 18, 10:29 PM
    • 16,231 Posts
    • 23,087 Thanks
    antrobus
    • 12th Jul 18, 10:29 PM
    • 12th Jul 18, 10:29 PM
    Does anyone have experience of how Aviva operates after a family member has died? On their website it just says the property will be sold immediately without going into details. Do Aviva sell it at auction or does the person named in the will have time to find an estate agent and redecorate etc.?
    Originally posted by Jolly23
    Experience, no. But isn't Aviva's equity release simply a mortgage?

Family member's estate has to go to probate. The executor or whatever, puts the property up for sale, tries to get the best price, and uses the proceeds to settle the debt with Aviva.
    • dealer wins
    • By dealer wins 12th Jul 18, 10:53 PM
    • 6,086 Posts
    • 11,790 Thanks
    dealer wins
    • 12th Jul 18, 10:53 PM
    • 12th Jul 18, 10:53 PM
    Experience, no. But isn't Aviva's equity release simply a mortgage?

Family member's estate has to go to probate. The executor or whatever, puts the property up for sale, tries to get the best price, and uses the proceeds to settle the debt with Aviva.
    Originally posted by antrobus
    I would say thats how it works, no way would they send properties to auction!
    Choose life
    • Jolly23
    • By Jolly23 13th Jul 18, 1:49 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Jolly23
    • 13th Jul 18, 1:49 AM
    • 13th Jul 18, 1:49 AM
    Ok I've just checked their faq page again and either I misread it a few weeks ago or they have made a slight change. It says "For a lifetime mortgage the amount owed to us is usually paid back from the proceeds of the sale of the property. Any money left over would be paid to the beneficiaries. The estate has up to 12 months to repay the lifetime mortgage. The interest continues to accrue daily until it is repaid.".

So it does seem that the estate can take their time and get the best price.

Obviously I know that equity release is essentially just a mortgage but it seems to differ from a normal mortgage as the lender is buying the property from the borrower and charging a hefty compound interest rate. That's were my confusion comes from.
    • foxy-stoat
    • By foxy-stoat 13th Jul 18, 11:48 AM
    • 3,041 Posts
    • 1,711 Thanks
    foxy-stoat
    • 13th Jul 18, 11:48 AM
    • 13th Jul 18, 11:48 AM
    Are you asking as your parents are thinking about this type of equity release or have they already done it and you are in the situation you describe?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,559Posts Today

6,310Users online

Martin's Twitter