Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dieselette
    • By dieselette 12th Jul 18, 5:56 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    dieselette
    Plan 1 and Plan 2 Student Loan. What should I do?
    • 12th Jul 18, 5:56 PM
    Plan 1 and Plan 2 Student Loan. What should I do? 12th Jul 18 at 5:56 PM
    Hello,

I am 37 and have recently graduated from a degree in healthcare. I took out a Plan 2 student loan to make ends meet. The total loan stands at 6,995. However, in a previous life I studied an unrelated degree. I took a full student loan out on Plan 1 in 2010. This stands at 15,775.

I'm trying to figure out what to do in terms of repayment. The Plan 2 loan is at a much higher interest rate but as the threshold for repayment is also higher than the Plan 1 loan, I can't preferentially repay it. Repayments for Plan 1 will be calculated on my earnings between 18330 and 25000, and my earnings above 25000 will be used to calculate repayments for Plan 2.

Here are the Plan 2 interest rates according to Martin's guide:
    - Earn under 25,000: Interest rate = RPI
    - Earn over 45,000: Interest rate = RPI + 3%
    - Earn from 25,000 to 45,000: It rises gradually from RPI to RPI + 3%. For example, earn midway, so 35,000, and your rate'll be RPI + 1.5%
    Plan 1 interests rates stand at 1.5%.

I expect to be earning 25k pa over the next two years, and 30k+ thereafter. I will be classed as self employed, and have a LISA, Stocks and Shares ISA, and will be setting up a SIPP. Am I better off trying to repay, even though the majority will pay off onto my Plan 1 loan, or should I invest any spare money I have?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.
Page 1
    • DrEskimo
    • By DrEskimo 12th Jul 18, 9:15 PM
    • 129 Posts
    • 96 Thanks
    DrEskimo
    • 12th Jul 18, 9:15 PM
    • 12th Jul 18, 9:15 PM
    What's your situation financially in other areas? Do you have a suitable emergency fund in an easy access savings account? Do you have any other debts, particularly high interest debts?

Generally, I don't think there is motivation to overpay a student loan, as you can typically get better returns elsewhere, and a student loan does not pose the same risks as normal debts (do not have to continue to pay it in the event of a job loss, etc. and it gets written off after a certain period) and I tend to think the same in your situation.

If you have no other debts, and have a good emergency fund of between 3-6months of expenses saved, then I would just put the spare money into a high interest current/savings account, e.g. NationWide Flex current account and flex regular saver. At 5%, these will outperform the interest you save on the student loans.

You can always use that money to pay a lump sum if you change your mind.
    • dieselette
    • By dieselette 13th Jul 18, 7:50 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    dieselette
    • 13th Jul 18, 7:50 AM
    • 13th Jul 18, 7:50 AM
    Thanks for the reply. I have no have no other debts and my financial plan has been to pay spare money into building my emergency fund, then my SIPP/S&SISA/LISA. I have learned to live quite frugally so I have low outgoings. As my second Plan 2 loan is for a smaller amount than people normally take (~7k rather than ~40-50k) I was wondering if the advice to invest it for a better return elsewhere still holds. I take it you believe it does?

It really stings not being able to preferentially pay off that higher interest 7K!
    • DrEskimo
    • By DrEskimo 13th Jul 18, 8:52 AM
    • 129 Posts
    • 96 Thanks
    DrEskimo
    • 13th Jul 18, 8:52 AM
    • 13th Jul 18, 8:52 AM
    Thanks for the reply. I have no have no other debts and my financial plan has been to pay spare money into building my emergency fund, then my SIPP/S&SISA/LISA. I have learned to live quite frugally so I have low outgoings. As my second Plan 2 loan is for a smaller amount than people normally take (~7k rather than ~40-50k) I was wondering if the advice to invest it for a better return elsewhere still holds. I take it you believe it does?

It really stings not being able to preferentially pay off that higher interest 7K!
    Originally posted by dieselette
    Awesome. well personally I would continue to build the emergency fund, and then put any surplus money in high interest current/savings accounts.

If the interest rate is RPI while you are on 25k, then that I believe that currently is 2.3%. When you are on 30k then it will be about RPI+0.8%. Even if inflation does rise, it's still unlikely to be higher than high interest accounts/savers, like the NationWide accounts paying 5%.

Are you sure you can't make an overpayment and nominate the loan you want to make payment on? Maybe save the money at 5% for a year in the banks, then use it + the interest you earn to make a lump sum payment. This is usually advised when learning the end of the loan anyway, as it prevents overpayment.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,024Posts Today

8,290Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @samgio1997: So glad you talked about the importance of taking out holiday insurance on this morning as a few years ago my auntie's pare?

• RT @mmhpi: "Two years ago, I was in the fortunate position to be able to found @mmhpi... I?m incredibly proud of the work the team there is?

• It means you should either have an annual policy in place, or book a specific single trip policy when you book https://t.co/oBDx8TmzQU

• Follow Martin