Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

    • EYorks
    • By EYorks 11th Jul 18, 7:29 PM
    • 8Posts
    • 0Thanks
    16 year old Student Loan and can't pay.
    • #1
    • 11th Jul 18, 7:29 PM
    16 year old Student Loan and can't pay. 11th Jul 18 at 7:29 PM
    I know what most people say about posts like this - but bear with me!

    Left Uni in 2002, moved abroad and gave SLC my address three times in order to start repayments.(3 different addresses) They never replied or sent me any paperwork. 5 years ago I received all sorts of debt collector letters from companies based in the country I was living and I think I contacted SLC and filled in a form with my address and declared I wasn't working (true).

    No news since and I called them again when I moved country 3 years ago. Still no news or paperwork from them. Until today when I got an email from a debt collector based in my country.

    Im now working with. a good salary but with 3 kids, 2 disabled and outgoings that barely match incomings I frankly wouldn't be able to even buy the SLC a beer, not now or in the near future.

    They don't have my current address as we just moved again. Only my email.

    Honestly, I can't see how it isn't Statute barred. When I wanted to pay and could I couldn't get them to engage, and now I can't pay, they're chasing me with debt collectors. Not even directly trying to reach me by themselves.

    I know its easy to judge but please - does anyone have some practical advice about how to deal with this situation?
Page 1
    • Edi81
    • By Edi81 11th Jul 18, 8:50 PM
    • 637 Posts
    • 574 Thanks
    • #2
    • 11th Jul 18, 8:50 PM
    • #2
    • 11th Jul 18, 8:50 PM
    Get in contact and arrange to make payments.
    • CakeCrusader
    • By CakeCrusader 11th Jul 18, 9:37 PM
    • 738 Posts
    • 431 Thanks
    • #3
    • 11th Jul 18, 9:37 PM
    • #3
    • 11th Jul 18, 9:37 PM
    The Student Loan company sold a massive batch of old loans (1995-2002 ish) to a company called Erudio a couple of years ago. Erudio would have tried to write to you using the last address that the SLC had. As you'd have 'ignored' their letters, they've passed your account on to debt collectors. Student loans taken out post 1998 are not the mortgage type ones, so they are not statute barred. There's a 25 year limit for them being wiped, but this only applies if the customer has deferred correctly, and it sounds like you haven't done this. As Edi says, your best bet is to get in touch with them and tell them about your circumstances. They will probably ask you to give info about your income.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,817Posts Today

9,373Users online

Martin's Twitter