Getting a weekend job where you'll be "overqualified"

Hi all.

I work in professional services and money is tight for a number of reasons and I am spending more than I am earning for the most part. I am looking for a second job I can do over the weekend and I want some advice.

How do I apply for a job where I will immediately been seen as overqualified? I am thinking of getting a job at my local Tesco but have no idea how to tailor a CV without outright lying about what I am currently doing.

I also wanted to know if there were any professional or relatively high paying jobs I can do on the weekend that anyone could recommend?

Comments

• comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,742 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I worked in a bar at weekends and nights, I was vastly over qualified for this as a full time job but as a casual job the managers took no notice of my qualifications, just could I do the job. Don't lie on your CV and don't omit details as you will possibly meet people who know you and could make comments overheard by management.
  • Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,706 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    If you go to Tesco just watch out if they offer you a flexible contract that you aren't also signing up to flex hours your can't do. Last page of the contract, but best to discuss at interview!
  • xapprenticex
    xapprenticex Posts: 1,760 Forumite
    Im actually interested in doing a little weekend Asda/Tesco work, i work in 'professional services' too but as a weekend job i would rather not have to use my brain so would be happiest stacking shelves.

Seems like its easier to get that work if you 'know' someone, but i don't know anyone who is working in retail.
  • Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,706 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    You don't need to know someone to get a shelf stacking or home shopping job. just check indeed.co.uk or reed.co.uk - I live in the middle of nowhere and I see they come up quite often locally due to the unsociable/different hours. Application is typically by form not CV. You fill in a form and do might get invited to do a test online, then are likely to get phone interview then a group interview if successful. (This is all 3rd hand - I've not been through the process myself).
  • stoopy
    stoopy Posts: 55 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Driving for out of hours services?
    Grocery Challenge Jul £380.75 Aug £637 Sep £539.82 Oct £53.43 / £475
    EF 3-6 challenge #104 £739.25/£10000
    MFW2018 #183 0/£2000
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Seems like its easier to get that work if you 'know' someone, but i don't know anyone who is working in retail.

Not always, I applied for a job via the retailers website.

OP if its bar works your after OP ask in your local Wetherspoons or something like indeed.
  • Brynsam
    Brynsam Posts: 3,643 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    I also wanted to know if there were any professional or relatively high paying jobs I can do on the weekend that anyone could recommend?

You say you work in 'professional services', which could mean anything. Could you be specific about your area of expertise, please?
  • Les79
    Les79 Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    Maybe seek advice on your financial situation so that you can get that under control and support yourself on your primary income?

Work to Live, or Live to Work.
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    edited 11 July 2018 at 6:59AM
    People really do rate themselves.

You can only be overqualified in your own field. I'm a "professional" but I wouldn't be overqualified for a job in bar/restaurant/supermarket. I'd have no relevant qualifications or experience.

My favourite barman has a PhD and the first person I ever managed used to be a solicitor but wanted a low stress part time admin job when her kids started school.

Edit to add something helpful in addition to the churlish reply above:

I would give accurate info on the CV but I'd be very brief about irrelevant stuff. For example, I wouldn't list professional accreditations or the fine details of my work. I'd put the qualifications they're asking for first. So if they wanted 5 A-C GCSEs including Maths and English, that would be the first and most detailed bit of my qualifications section, secondary to degrees and the like. I'd add a chunky 'Relevant Skills and Experience' section at the start where I'd try to draw out aspects of my work that match with the job spec. I'm self employed so I order all the things I need for my job so I might use that to talk about stock control. Stuff like that. It's just like any other application. Help them to tick off every bit on the job spec.

I changed careers in my 30s and the first interview I had in the new field was a disaster because I was underprepared and over confident. Believe me, the difficult bit won't be downplaying your qualifications. It'll be demonstrating you're as good as someone who's worked in a supermarket all their life.
  • Ineededaname
    Ineededaname Posts: 148 Forumite
    How does working in the financial services make you overqualified to work in retail? They are completley different roles. At the end of the day an experienced retail worker is going to trump you for the job every time. They are more qualified than you.

They are going to have concerns but not in the way you are thinking. Going in thinking you are too qualified for the role is going to compound their concerns, not allay them.

Retail in general won't be too concerned with your lack of experience, as they can train you easily enough. Their concerns will be things like:

- Is he going to stick the job for a decent length of time?
    - Can he adapt to a *completley* different working environment.
    - Will he work well under pressure when it's not his main role.
    - Will he be willing to work early starts and late nights.
    - Will he be available to work additional hours in busy periods such as Christmas and Easter, when he is accustomed to time off.
    - How will he react to rude customers who speak to him like he's beneath them.
    - Will he work well under potentially young and 'unqualified' supervisors.

The challenge here is that retail can be a very tough job in a different way to what you are used to, and they are going to worry you won't hack it when your easy weekend job doesn't turn out to be so easy.

You've had advice about applications already. Just remember at an interview you need to show them why your situation is a good for them and not that it could be a potential problem.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure