Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • solojedi2013
    • By solojedi2013 9th Jul 18, 12:43 PM
    • 16Posts
    • 4Thanks
    solojedi2013
    Remortgage with Halifax declined is it worth appealing?
    • 9th Jul 18, 12:43 PM
    Remortgage with Halifax declined is it worth appealing? 9th Jul 18 at 12:43 PM
    Hi All,

I am having a issue trying to secure a remortgage with the Halifax basically used a broker FAC, seemed very good. He completed a DIP in my and my wife's name which Unforntantley failed but said it passed in my name. He advised to look at other lenders but would be subprime Magellan 3.14% with 2,500 lender fee plus broker fee of 750 or alternatively we could proceed with Halifax in just my name at 1.8% no lender fee andx 500 broker but this would mean my wife would need to come off the deed. I discussed this with my wife and we agreed it made sense for her to come off the title and to go back on when we could remortgage which would be 2 years without anyg early payment charges.

Anyway everything was going fine until we where told she would not be allowed to live in the property after completion. This raised some concerns as we where not aware of this, I raised it and asked if this could be changed but Halifax would not budge. So we decided to agree to her moving out of the property to my mother's as would be having some building work carried out at the house and could all stay at my mum's who live alone in a fairly big house on her own.

Again we provided a forwarding address and everything was fine . We where due to complete on the 27th of June but where told it had to go to the underwriters for approval.

They declined the application and said we tried to circumvent their lending policy!

I am so stressed out now due to this and desperately need to find a solution and am considering appealing. Is this something I should do or just go the subprime lender.

Any advice, experience any one can offer would greatly appreciated.

Many thanks for reading.
Page 1
    • haras_nosirrah
    • By haras_nosirrah 9th Jul 18, 12:50 PM
    • 1,455 Posts
    • 2,727 Thanks
    haras_nosirrah
    • 9th Jul 18, 12:50 PM
    • 9th Jul 18, 12:50 PM
    I guess the lender didn't believe that your wife would be permanently living with your mum while you were living in your house - you have to see why they think this is an unlikely scenario.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

120Posts Today

1,283Users online

Martin's Twitter