Idem Servicing letter

jcorbygas
jcorbygas Posts: 581 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 9 July 2018 at 10:04AM in Debt-free wannabe
I have 2 debts with idem servicing. They are both enforceable. I sent income and expenditure details which showed that I could only afford £13 per month for one of them which I have duly started to pay.
However, they have now sent a letter enclosing statement of account and a pre-action information sheet.
This was quite intimidating at first sight - it seems as if it is proper pre court action information requirements ie you have 30 days to fill in and return this form - if you dont it could result in court proceedings.
From the form it looks like Idem have copied official court paperwork and put it on their own headed paper, which I thought they werent allowed to do?
They say in their own letter that although I am making payments to them the payments are not sufficient to repay the amount owing within a reasonable timeframe!
So - do I have to fill in this form or should I just resend my I and E form which will show £13 again. I am not in a position to offer a Full and Final on this debt (6416 owed) so what could they do further?
Has anyone else received this type of letter from them and how did you get on further?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    Hi jcorbygas

It sounds like you have received a letter before claim. This is part of the county court's pre action protocol for debt claims and is aimed at trying to avoid the need for court action. A letter before claim will tell you the company is considering court action and gives you 30 days to respond.

There should be a form to complete which gives you the option to admit the debt, dispute the debt, ask for further information or ask for time to seek debt advice. You should also find enclosed an information sheet, a standard financial statement to complete (if you admit the debt) and a statement of the account.

If this is what you have received it's very important to respond using the form provided within the 30 day timeframe, ideally you should send it by recorded delivery. If you don't you will not have complied with the pre action protocol and could cause you issues further down the line. You can find more detailed information on how to respond here https://debtcamel.co.uk/letter-before-claim-ccj/.

Best wishes

Susie
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,833 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Yes, do not ignore it, you could just copy your budget onto the pre-action letter.

You need to be sensible with your budget though, for example, if you can do so, offering an extra £5-10 a month may stave off legal action, it is a non priority debt, so do not be swayed by any of their rhetoric, but they may go for the CCJ at any rate.

Just keep in mind any figure the court may set can be challenged if need be.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • jcorbygas
    jcorbygas Posts: 581 Forumite
    edited 9 July 2018 at 5:54PM
    Thanks. I will look at my budget again and see if there is anything I can do to increase the offer. No doubt they will do the same with the other debt.

If they do decide to go to court is this done on paper or do you physically have to go to a court?
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,833 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    jcorbygas wrote: »
    If they do decide to go to court is this done on paper or do you physically have to go to a court?

99.9% of the time its all done online and by post, you can be called in to the court if you have failed to pay a judgement, to be asked why you have not paid, but otherwise you never see the inside of a court room.

The process is explained here :

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/debt-and-money/action-your-creditor-can-take/creditor-takes-you-to-court-for-debt/
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure