PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Old Style Daily Monday 9th July

Options
This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Comments

• Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Morning everyone :wave:

The warm weather is making my problems sleeping even worse than usual. I’m finding that once I’m awake I may as well get up because I can’t get back to sleep. I’ve just made a cup of tea and thought I would have a look on the internet while I drink that and then try and have a doze on the sofa. It’s much cooler in here.

The forecast is for it to be cloudy and a bit cooler than it has been today. If it turns out that way I am going to have an afternoon catching up on the housework. I would like to go through the kitchen cupboards and give them a good clean and the tiles could do with a thorough cleaning.

Other than that I’m not sure what I shall do today, I will play it by ear and see how the day unfolds.

I had a bit of a surprise yesterday evening. I was going through a cupboard in my bedroom and found three pairs of shoes I didn’t know that I had behind a spare duvet :o. This would be fine, because they are the comfortable flat shoes that I wear everywhere and I will wear them, the only problem is, that I already have two spare pairs. How I managed this I don’t know, but at least I have winter shoes to last ages. I just hope that my feet don’t change shape or size.

Judi I do hope that you are winning the sorting out everything that Grump brought back with him. It sounds like a lot of work needed to restore order.

I hope you managed to sleep a bit better TA and that your arm is less painful.

I’m glad that you enjoyed the party after all Tru. There is nothing worse than being stuck at that sort of social event, bored stiff and feeling that you have to stay.

Silver-oldie I also did a M&S run during the football and came back with some lovely bargains, including their salmon medallions reduced to £1.30 from £8.50 and seafood casserole for 90p, and a strawberry cheesecake for 70p so I was really pleased :D.

Hopefully your mum is improving Gers now that they have got her on the antibiotics for the uti.

Floss have a good break and catch up session with your friend.

Have a good day everyone.
  • ancientofdays
    ancientofdays Posts: 2,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good morning, it is cloudy here but still very warm. I am hoping for a breeze, I am loving the sun but breezes do help.

Yesterday was good, it was great to spend an afternoon with colleagues and to see 'my' families and there have always been other families I know even if not actually been their person. On our craft tables we made things, painted things, stuck things to things and of course to ourselves and generally had a very goid time. Our motto should be Never Knowingly Underglittered.

As OH and DS will be out today, we swapped cooking days so tge mister cooked last night. They had pigs in blankets but I really don't like sausages from M*rrisons and especially not fancypants sausages with chili in OH had been to M*rrisons and bought me some YS fish and unusually for me, I did not .like it at all, it was lemon sole. Nothing wrong with it, it was simply a case of not liking this particular fish. I can't remember having it before.

I was so tired that I fell asleep on the sofa, went up to bed but woke at 2 with a massive cramp in my leg. I get cramp in my feet quite a lot and have been taking vitamins and minerals as a form of insurance but a leg cramp is unusual for me. I had to get out of bed until it passed off but was able to go back to sleep for a couple of hours.

This must be one of my longest and boringest posts ever.

Sending virtual support to those who need it and hoping that everyone has as good a day as possible.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
  • Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have a dilemma and wonder what my virtual friends on the daily thread would do.

Three weeks ago I bought a pair of sandals to put away for next year as they are a good fit. They are in the box and have never been worn. I have the receipt and it says "In line with our promise you have 90 days within which to return your purchase for an exchange or refund".

When I went into the shop yesterday they had them in the sale for £17 less than I paid, and had one pair left in my size which were the display pair and they don't look that good, one shoe is darker than the other.

So what I want to do is take my sandals and receipt in, ask for a refund, and them to immediately sell me them back at the sale price.

I am thinking that there is probably no harm in asking, apart from feeling a bit embarrassed, and the worse that can happen is that they say no.

Would any of you do this? I'm not sure whether or not I dare do it!
  • TravellingAbuela
    TravellingAbuela Posts: 6,693 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 9 July 2018 at 6:41AM
    Options
    Morning folks. I hope you managed to doze on the sofa HOLLY. Today is forecast to be cooler thank goodness. Yesterday was horrendously hot and I only ventured outside to peg out some washing. Like the cleaning, the weeding was postponed until it gets cooler!

I was having a down day yesterday but DS popped in unexpectedly and that perked me up. Then DD nipped in with the medication she had collected for me from Sainsbobs pharmacy on her way back from work.

Mr TA had to inform the DVLA about his neuropathy diagnosis and, after writing to his GP and Neurologist , they decreed his driving licence had to be exchanged for a medical review licence. The form etc has been picked up and put back down numerous times "till I can be bothered doing it" Then yesterday I went into a panic as I had left it almost to the deadline so had to do it. I know I am no mastermind but I don't class myself as totally stupid, but this form was absolutely baffling. I soldiered on until I got to the inserting the photo etc section and realised it had to be signed and filled in, similar to a passport, by a professional person. It was at this point DD called in and suggested her neighbour who is a councillor. He was happy to do it thankfully and the envelope is now sitting here with all it's forms of ID etc ready to be posted today.

I need to go down to Boots this morning to pick up further supplies of Fortisip and Aymes shakes for Mr TA. I ordered Friday so I hope they are ready as his stocks are running low.

I had an e mail from my best mate yesterday. They have finally made the decision, after much dithering, to move nearer their DD near York. They have no family here and if anything happened to one of them the other would feel a bit isolated. We agreed we are going to meet up half way, maybe Leeds, for lunch and a natter, when she does eventually move. I shall miss her and our little trips to Skipton.

I have waffled on and bored you long enough so have a good day folks and I hope it's a bit cooler where you all are. ((HUGS)) for all in need/want of them. Hope GERS' DM is picking up and there is news from LAMEWOLF about her DH. Worrying times for some of us. Take care all xx

Just seen your 2nd post HOLLY. I am not sure I would have the nerve to do that. x
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Good Morning chums and why not give it a go H/Harvey ,you have nothing to lose.If the return isn't conditional on any reason I can't see why they would objectand you could be £17.00 better off.

Well just had a look at the long range weather forecast and its looking good until the 22nd at least with wall-to-wall sunshine.No rain in sight for the gardeners though.
    I am off to book club this morning which I always enjoy.
    Hope everyone has a good Monday and Gers DM is hopefully a bit cooler today and maybe they will let her home.
    Mrs TA I see you are in your rushing around mode again so slow down a little and make sure you get a moment to relax a bit if you can.
    AOD snap I too woke with cramp this morning ,gets you out of bed quicker than an alarm that's for sure

Right time for some tea I think Have a greata day chums whatever you are doing

JackieO xxx
  • redruby
    redruby Posts: 7,317 Forumite
    Options
    Morning all

Another beautiful day here, yesterday apart from a quick trip to Lidl I did not go out of the house all day apart from in the evening to take little madam out an to eat dinner in the garden, it was above 30 all day :eek: hopefully today might be a bit cooler.

Back to work for me today and I think the new kitchen equipment is arriving this week and supposed to be being fitted, we are supposed to be opening next Monday into the new building, but we shall see !!

Not sure about dinner tonight but there is lots in, there is a quiche which will cook quickly and so the oven wont be on for long.

Holly I don't think morally I would feel able to do that , also I would not have the nerve.

I think it was Mrs SD asking about cold sore remedies ? put some spirits on it gin or vodka work best, just dab on the outside and leave it to dry, repeat several times during the day but be careful not to drink any if driving !!

Right better get on have good days all xx
  • camelot1001
    camelot1001 Posts: 6,024 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Morning All

Another warm day here, last night cooled a lot so I had a nice breeze blowing through the upstairs of the house. The forecast for today says there may be drizzle but we'll see.

Hope there's an improvement in your DM today Gers.
    Well done on the form filling TA, you certainly don't need that at the moment.
    Holly, it's worth a try, they can only say no.

I had a lovely day with DS1 and the grandchildren yesterday, we went to the park where they have great stuff for the children after lunch here, I was totally wiped out when they had gone!

Not sure what today holds, I'll go with the flow. Hope you all have a good day, take care. XX
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Morning all,

Early morning Sprint to the newsagent to get Livewires early morning treat. I forgot it yesterday. He normally comes in with his Mummy when she drops Diva off.

Order still hasn't been restored to the household. Work stuff all laundered and put away but Dandy soft furnishings still to do. Stuff all over the kitchen work tops that needs to be put away. I'm getting there slowly.

Grump is much more relaxed, so relaxed the spending has started. 4 tyres for Barbies jeep, Not needed just yet but they will be needed at some point. He's looking at replacing some of his tools too.

Best get started. Diva will be here soon.

Onwards and forwards

Have a great day all.
  • silver-oldie
    silver-oldie Posts: 1,011 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Good morning friends

Thank you for starting us off Holly. I think I would take them back, as others have said you have nothing to loose.

It's already hot, so not much planned.

The garden is so dry. We have 7 water butts and all have been dry for some time. I don't want to use the hose to water my veg but I haven't the energy or strength to carry watering cans. I do save water from washing veg/salad washing up water, if not greasy.
    Maybe use the hose to fill a water butt and just water each plant as needed.

Gers hope your Mum is improving

LW thinking about you and Mr LW

Hope you all have a good day
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
  • snoozer
    snoozer Posts: 3,594 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Holly, I don't think I'd have the nerve to do it, but I suppose you've nothing to lose.

It's much cooler here today and no sun, I must admit it's a relief. I'll be able to take Ziggy for her walk without sweltering or worrying about her being too hot.

DH is getting ready to cycle to work and I've got the day in the van by myself. I think some of it will entail napping as I had the most awful night. I seem to retain fluid in the heat and then at night have to go to the loo umpteen times!

I might have a run into THirsk just to have a look round although I won't be able to go in anywhere with the doglet. On the drive up here I sopped at Clumber Park National Trust site to use the loo but it said assistance dogs only. I ended up going in anyway, if I'd been challenged I was going to say she stopped me from having panic attacks when I couldn't use a toilet. Sorry, I know it's not something to joke about but I couldn't leave her in the car for even a minute in the heat and I won't tie her up outside anywhere, she'd be good but also a sitting duck for dog thieves.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure