Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • A Flock Of Sheep
    • By A Flock Of Sheep 7th Jul 18, 7:41 PM
    • 5,011Posts
    • 6,504Thanks
    A Flock Of Sheep
    Anyone fed up with the heatwave?
    • 7th Jul 18, 7:41 PM
    Anyone fed up with the heatwave? 7th Jul 18 at 7:41 PM
    As above!

I am now sick to death of the hot sticky oppressive weather that shows no sign of stopping.

I have barely done any housework due to being a sweaty over heated mess. Working is difficult. Go outside and I burn to a crisp in minutes even with sun cream.

Roll on the rain I really miss you as does my garden.
Page 1
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 7th Jul 18, 7:49 PM
    • 25,131 Posts
    • 65,783 Thanks
    pollypenny
    • 7th Jul 18, 7:49 PM
    • 7th Jul 18, 7:49 PM
    No.

I love it.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • Mrs Arcanum
    • By Mrs Arcanum 7th Jul 18, 7:52 PM
    • 18,554 Posts
    • 38,874 Thanks
    Mrs Arcanum
    • 7th Jul 18, 7:52 PM
    • 7th Jul 18, 7:52 PM
    Knees love it, ankles hate it and fed up of being tired all the time.
    “We put all our politicians in prison as soon as they’re elected. Don't you?" "Why?” “It saves time.” - Terry Pratchett, The Last Continent.
    • trigger fish
    • By trigger fish 7th Jul 18, 7:55 PM
    • 2,454 Posts
    • 3,071 Thanks
    trigger fish
    • 7th Jul 18, 7:55 PM
    • 7th Jul 18, 7:55 PM
    I'm not fed up with it.

Its drying out the damp in the house when I can't afford to put the heating on during the winter.
    • Tabbytabitha
    • By Tabbytabitha 7th Jul 18, 7:56 PM
    • 4,383 Posts
    • 6,972 Thanks
    Tabbytabitha
    • 7th Jul 18, 7:56 PM
    • 7th Jul 18, 7:56 PM
    Yes and it's hotter here in France, although I'm fortunate in having air conditioning.
    • boliston
    • By boliston 7th Jul 18, 8:01 PM
    • 2,797 Posts
    • 2,380 Thanks
    boliston
    • 7th Jul 18, 8:01 PM
    • 7th Jul 18, 8:01 PM
    can't really see the appeal of it being this hot - everything just seems like twice the effort it normally is - I have aircon at work luckily but evenings are just miserable as my flat has no aircon (like most in the uk) and just turns into an oven
    • cepheus
    • By cepheus 7th Jul 18, 8:03 PM
    • 19,216 Posts
    • 20,337 Thanks
    cepheus
    • 7th Jul 18, 8:03 PM
    • 7th Jul 18, 8:03 PM
    As mentioned on the other thread, I think 'sun worshipping' could be a sign of irrationality and susceptibility to persuasion by advertisers. I can understand why people don't like the wet, and cold, but they seem to compensate by going to the other extreme which is far worse and even more uncomfortable.

Was it always like this or is it a fashion? Didn't people once try to look pale so they didn't resemble outdoor manual workers? I think colonists used to escape the heat of the plain by building their living premises at altitude if possible.

If everybody likes heat why do those in hot countries spend most time in purpose build air conditioned buildings and cars or pools, if they can afford it?

About 15 years ago I toured the US SW with some friends to see the sights and visit relatives. It was hot especially in Phoenix and Las Vegas. However, we spent 90% of the time in air-conditioned premises and cars, and some of the remaining time at altitude or cooler coastal regions, so it wasn't too stressful. Perhaps being a bit younger helped. Other than that I've avoided hot holidays.
    Last edited by cepheus; 07-07-2018 at 8:13 PM.
    • pepper77
    • By pepper77 7th Jul 18, 8:11 PM
    • 2,666 Posts
    • 7,607 Thanks
    pepper77
    • 7th Jul 18, 8:11 PM
    • 7th Jul 18, 8:11 PM
    I love it, long may it continue.
    All my fridges are full, cold milk, beers, diet coke and cider.
    If I get a bit too hot then I get my motorbike out and buzz round a few lanes.
    Farm foods have magnums cheap, salad stuff is cheap, because I live in a first world luxury infested country I can take a shower in clean water whenever I want, the only downside is I need to wait until nine-ish before taking a walk, and of course if I want shade I need to move my chair in the garden occasionally.
    • trigger fish
    • By trigger fish 7th Jul 18, 8:12 PM
    • 2,454 Posts
    • 3,071 Thanks
    trigger fish
    • 7th Jul 18, 8:12 PM
    • 7th Jul 18, 8:12 PM
    Beach and surf culture leading to rising skin cancer in Wales.

Never been a surfer or sun worshipper and rarely go shirtless. I burn once then go brown.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-44723312
    • House Martin
    • By House Martin 7th Jul 18, 8:14 PM
    • 1,428 Posts
    • 1,192 Thanks
    House Martin
    Love it, spent part of the afternoon in the heat on a 40 mile bike ride returning in time to watch us win against the Swedes.
    Exercise is great in a heatwave.Its actually cooler on a bike in hot weather compared to walking or jogging
    People who are tired in this weather need to clean up their act and get healthy and stop smoking
    • trigger fish
    • By trigger fish 7th Jul 18, 8:19 PM
    • 2,454 Posts
    • 3,071 Thanks
    trigger fish
    Love it, spent part of the afternoon in the heat on a 40 mile bike ride returning in time to watch us win against the Swedes.
    Exercise is great in a heatwave.Its actually cooler on a bike in hot weather compared to walking or jogging
    People who are tired in this weather need to clean up their act and get healthy and stop smoking
    Originally posted by House Martin
    How do you know they smoke?
    • chris_m
    • By chris_m 7th Jul 18, 8:22 PM
    • 7,045 Posts
    • 27,205 Thanks
    chris_m
    and stop smoking
    How do you know they smoke?
    Originally posted by trigger fish
    If things get too hot, they do generally smoke
    • worldtraveller
    • By worldtraveller 7th Jul 18, 8:30 PM
    • 12,068 Posts
    • 24,510 Thanks
    worldtraveller
    If Jeremy Corbyn had his way, much of the economy would have just shut down over the past few weeks, with obvious devastating results.

In 2015 he was Primary Sponsor of an Early Day Motion to ban all workers from having to do their jobs in temperatures above 30C. His commie mate McDonnell was also a sponsor.

In the case of the likes of building sites, the maximum temperature allowed for working would be 27C! So, probably a complete shutdown of the construction industry for weeks, if not months!

Don't you just love him!
    Last edited by worldtraveller; 07-07-2018 at 8:32 PM.
    There is a pleasure in the pathless woods, There is a rapture on the lonely shore, There is society, where none intrudes, By the deep sea, and music in its roar: I love not man the less, but Nature more...
    • kpwll
    • By kpwll 7th Jul 18, 8:31 PM
    • 2,235 Posts
    • 6,159 Thanks
    kpwll
    The main downside of wishing this heat-wave away, is if/when the rain starts it doesn't know when to stop, usually.
    • humptydumptybits
    • By humptydumptybits 7th Jul 18, 8:34 PM
    • 1,557 Posts
    • 4,031 Thanks
    humptydumptybits
    Yes and it's hotter here in France, although I'm fortunate in having air conditioning.
    Originally posted by Tabbytabitha

I am so jealous! I wish I had air conditioning, the heat is killing me. With my Irish roots and red hair I was not designed for this weather. I live near a beach and we are having a walk on the beach every evening when it is cooler and usually a nice breeze.
    • pepper77
    • By pepper77 7th Jul 18, 8:38 PM
    • 2,666 Posts
    • 7,607 Thanks
    pepper77
    If Jeremy Corbyn had his way, much of the economy would have just shut down over the past few weeks, with obvious devastating results.

In 2015 he was Primary Sponsor of an Early Day Motion to ban all workers from having to do their jobs in temperatures above 30C. His commie mate McDonnell was also a sponsor.

In the case of the likes of building sites, the maximum temperature allowed for working would be 27C! So, probably a complete shutdown of the construction industry for weeks, if not months!

Don't you just love him!
    Originally posted by worldtraveller
    Seriously? They would stop self employed tradespeople from earning a living ?

I assume there was also a minimum temperature for working too.
    • fibonarchie
    • By fibonarchie 7th Jul 18, 8:41 PM
    • 904 Posts
    • 1,559 Thanks
    fibonarchie
    I like spring and autumn more than summer and winter, I must admit.
    • stephen77
    • By stephen77 7th Jul 18, 8:44 PM
    • 7,029 Posts
    • 8,173 Thanks
    stephen77
    I like the long daylight hours, but not the heat
    • Tabbytabitha
    • By Tabbytabitha 7th Jul 18, 8:46 PM
    • 4,383 Posts
    • 6,972 Thanks
    Tabbytabitha
    I am so jealous! I wish I had air conditioning, the heat is killing me. With my Irish roots and red hair I was not designed for this weather. I live near a beach and we are having a walk on the beach every evening when it is cooler and usually a nice breeze.
    Originally posted by humptydumptybits
    We couldn't have lived here without it, given my husband's lung condition - now he's gone I'm not giving it up!
    • RichardD1970
    • By RichardD1970 7th Jul 18, 8:56 PM
    • 3,065 Posts
    • 4,565 Thanks
    RichardD1970
    I hate this weather, anything about 25 is just uncomfortable, prefer it around 20.

My "act" is fairly clean, I'm fit (ish) and healthy and don't smoke.

But you can't help yourself making crass generalisations based on your own prejudices can you?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,371Posts Today

6,682Users online

Martin's Twitter