PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Old Style Daily Friday 6th July 2018

This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning

Comments

• Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Morning everyone :wave:

It is far too hot for me to sleep, so I have given up on that.

I was pleased to get my roots done yesterday, I do hate it when they are becoming noticeable. We left it a bit longer than usual to time the space between appointments to fit in with my hairdresser’s holiday.

I didn’t get into town in the end yesterday, it was just too hot to walk up there by mid-morning, I will have to go this morning though because I need to collect my prescription. I must start to look for a present for my niece as well.

It will most definitely be a sandwich in the park for lunch today. I would go to the seaside if it wasn’t for the need to go into town.

As it is so hot dinner will be quiche with salad and new potatoes and a trifle for dessert, so nice and easy with minimal effort.

Silver-oldie sorry to read that you have been struggling, please take care of yourself (hugs) xx

I hope that your mum is responding to treatment after yesterday and is well enough to come home today Gers.

TA just to say that I am thinking of you, and sending you and Mr TA good wishes xx.

Nelski you must have got to mocha on the paint chart by now with all the good weather :).

Sounds like a good holiday Mrs SD, I’m pleased that you enjoyed yourself.

What a lovely visit from Lamewolf for you and Lu Lainey, I’m pleased that you all had a good time. it sounds like Lu did well with the parsnips :).

Nice to see you back Lindsay C. Sorry to hear that you are not having the best of times right now. Enjoy your day just pottering.

Have as good day possible everyone whatever you are doing.
  • TravellingAbuela
    TravellingAbuela Posts: 6,671 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Morning folks and thanks HOLLY. Yesterday was horrendously hot I agree and sleeping very difficult in the stuffy bedroom. I would put the fan on but Mr TA can't sleep with the noise of it. Can anyone recommend a silent fan?!

No phone call yesterday about the second lot of bloods so will give them a ring if we don't hear today. We did, however, get a call from the hospital asking if Mr TA could go and see the Gastroenterologist on the 16th of this month. So well within the 2 week fast track time limit. I know we need to be told just what's what but I shall be the usual nervous wreck. After 5 years of his escalating health problems I should be used to the worry but sadly not.

I went to the short school concert with DD as planned. Years 3 & 4 singing the various hymns/songs they had been learning especially. They were really good and, despite the hall resembling a sauna, we both enjoyed it. After school they all went on to their swimming/diving clubs and came back here for the customary Bolognese Bake. No matter how big I make it there is never any left!

It seemed strange waving them off home afterwards but, this morning, I am feeling quite relieved that I don't have the added work of getting them up, off and away to school. DD's BF doing the honours this morning.

Well, being a Friday, it's that day again and the Friday Tidy is on the agenda. Fortunately it doesn't feel quite as hot as yesterday but, even so, it will just be a lick and a promise again. One day ....!

Not much in the way of cooking today. Mr TA just managing the nutrishakes these days. Anything remotely solid, even rice pudding, won't go down. I am living off easy meals like salad, new potatoes and some form of protein this hot weather. I alternate between chicken, fish or a veggie based item. With the usual berries, sf jelly and yogurt to finish.

Have a good day folks and ((HUGS)) as always for all in need. Thinking especially of SILVER-OLDIE, DUMPLING and GERS' DM. Take care all xx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
  • nmlc
    nmlc Posts: 4,788 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Morning everyone

hollyharvey - thanks for starting us off x

Hugs to those that want/need one x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

Cloudy and overcast but getting warm already, sky will clear and it's forecast to be another hot day.

DH and myself enjoying peaceful cuppas, I've showered, just eaten brekkie, and I'm dressed. DS1 now getting ready for work and I'll wake DS2 as now he's finished college, he had a days' work yesterday and has been asked to go back today - so I'll drop him there when I go to town first thing. Once I've been to town we'll be leaving for our hols, can't wait.

Dinner last night was new pots, roast chicken portions, fish florentine, and veg/caponata, ice cream for dessert. Tonight I don't know as we'll be at our accommodation, not taking that many supplies as we can buy everything there, will just take the essentials, there's a couple of mainstream supermarkets not too far away.

Heard from a work colleague yesterday that it's all kicked off at work - will be interesting to see what transpires over the coming weeks. So glad not too be at work at the moment, sounds not nice, feel for my colleagues.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
  • tru
    tru Posts: 9,138 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Morning hello.gif[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]It was quite cool on wednesday (well, comparatively!) and I had a productive day. Yesterday afternoon was horrible, I tried to get on with a few things but ended up sat on the sofa feeling a bit sick and light-headed. I hope it's not as muggy today. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I've caught up with work, repotted a couple of plants and sorted my tomatoes. I'm so pleased my leg hasn't stopped me gardening this year. Mr tru has had to do most of my garden jobs for the past couple of years and he doesn't do things the way I would like :D It's mine again now and I'm out there most mornings tidying, weeding and pruning, it takes a bit longer than I would like but the point is, I'm doing it. I'm especially proud of two little honeysuckle cuttings which are growing nicely, I'm not good with cuttings usually but these look nice and strong.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I'll just be pottering today, the only thing that must be done is hoovering, everything else can wait if I feel a bit off again today. I'll put a wash on in a mo then throw some clothes on to take Scampi out, I'll have a cool shower when I get back, and will get the lotions and potions out. My skin is very dry – don't know why, I'm drinking tons of water and eating lots of fruit – and my feet need some heavy duty foot cream.[/FONT]

:beer:
    Bulletproof
  • ancientofdays
    ancientofdays Posts: 2,913 Forumite
    Morning everyone, yet another hot and sunny day. I'm not complaining, it is lovely but I'd like to have slightly cooler nights. I have slept but patchily and have been up and pottering for a couple of hours.

Good to see those who have been mis sing and I'm thinking if all those of us who have been having difficult times.

I tidied yesterday, have just redone the bathroom yet again. This morning I have to go into my former office to get some documents verified. These are my ID docs for my pension. I am already receiving the main part of my pension - I was on a flexible retirement scheme where you can reduce working hours and claim occupational pension while still working. You then get your employment terminated and restarted so a new pension us started and I completed all the firm's, provided verified ID docs and sent them to where they were meant to go, only for them to vanish into thin air. Good job they were only copies and also that this will be just a very small addition to the pension I'm already getting but it is an annoyance , especially with the ongoing saga of state pension, or lack thereof.

I'll take the opportunity to carry on afterwards to the M&S outlet for shower stuff, it us really cheap there.

Went to M*rrisons the other day where I bought all sorts of things we'd get anyway vastly reduced, for example a big pot of hummus, the posh sort which should have been £2.24 at 8 pence. None left now, it was so much nicer than the usual stuff and I think nicer than my own homemade. I think the most expensive thing was 4 pots of Greek yogurt with a citrus layer for 12 pence, delicious and all for me as nobody else eats it and 3pence a pot! Clearly I am the last of the big spenders.

I am trying to decide between hiring a rug doctor and buying a carpet washer. If anyone has a carpet washer and feels like sharing opinions, I'd be glad to hear. I did have a very ancient Vax wet and dry one years ago, it was 3rd hand but did the job for years until it literally fell apart through old age.

There us a nest of wasps behind the soffit (?) Above the kitchen. I can't tell if it is big or small,. I think it is small though. I really hate wasps, they are my scary thing, like Winston Smith and the rats.

Hope everyone has the best day possible
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
  • snoozer
    snoozer Posts: 3,582 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    nmlc, hope everything turns out ok at work.
    TA still thinking of you.

Heard from DD that her DH's gran died last night. He saw her on Friday and it seems as if she was ready to go. I don't know if they'll have to cut short their holiday for the funeral yet.

It's lovely and cool at the moment, I hope it doesn't get as hot as yesterday, although I'm driving up to Thirsk to meet DH in the camper van so hopefully it will be a few degrees cooler up there. I hope there won't be lots of Silverstone traffic on the A1. I'll take a picnic and stop at Clumber Park to give Ziggy a run and hopefully have a toilet break, it's so difficult with dogs - I can't leave her in the car and wouldn't leave her tied up outside, she'd go off with anyone.

She's taken herself back off to bed but I'll try to take her out before it gets too warm.
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,013 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Morning everyone.

Blooming heck, aren't gulls noisy blighters? I've never heard such a loud annoying sound before, woke me at 4.30am and kept me awake. Even tough I live right by the sea either there aren't any gulls or they don't squawk horribly.

Last night I investigated DM's fridge abd have taken out loads of food with BBE April. She has never lost the war habit of removing green mould. I know that some foodstuffs are OK but not the ones in her fridge. Now I'll have to go shopping to replace them all with fresh.

Don't know if she's coming home today or not yet. I have to phone the ward mid morning after the docs have been round.

TA - I'm so pleased that you had a child free overnight and morning! My thoughts are still with you and MrTA.

Now I must get myself organised. I hope the everyone has a happy Friday.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Morning all,

Grump quit his job yesterday. I knew it was coming from the moans I've had daily for months. I'm just surprised its took this long. He didn't like the foreman, didn't like the drive and they didn't pay enough apparently. Well he will be living on his savings till he gets another job. That's his tax rebate gone.:(

The job he was supposed to be moving on to hasn't come off so I don't know what he'll do.

I only know I can't cope with him and the blasted kids. I'll be pulling my hair out!

He finishes today but will be back tomorrow as he's got to pack.

Silver-oldie big hugs coming your way.

Onwards and forwards

Have a great day all
  • ancientofdays
    ancientofdays Posts: 2,913 Forumite
    Do you have a shed Judi?
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
  • ScarletRibbons
    ScarletRibbons Posts: 2,063 Forumite
    Good morning all, it's warm and sunny here. Thank you Holly for starting off.

It turned cloudy in the early evening yesterday, I half expected a shower, but nothing happened.

TA, so sorry to hear that things are no better.
    Gers, hope your Mum gets home today.

We cleaned the outside of the caravan yesterday, bl**dy awful job. The storage people would do it for £20, but we wanted to open the windows and do round the seals, and edges of the perspex window panes, and Dh wanted to check the roof. Anyway it's done, and looks nuch better. It was Dh's birthday yesterday, and you would think that we would go out for a meal or something like that - no, no, we go and clean the caravan, it's the latest way to celebrate.

Might go out for the day today up to Alnwick Ga*dens, we like to go often to see the changes as the year progresses. The roses will be at their best I should think.. We'll take a picnic, tightwads that we are.

Glad to see you back Mrs SD.
    You must have really tender feet Snoozer!!

Thinking of everyone who is sad and worried.

Take care folks.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport