Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Debtfreeforever
    • By Debtfreeforever 1st Jul 18, 6:58 PM
    • 61Posts
    • 72Thanks
    Debtfreeforever
    What have you gained?
    • 1st Jul 18, 6:58 PM
    What have you gained? 1st Jul 18 at 6:58 PM
    What have you gained and learnt since you have been on a debt free journey?

Of course money helps and makes life easier, but I'm not sure whether it makes me happy, but then I have never had enough of it.

As I didn't have much money to spend I enjoy the simple thing in life, such as spending time with friends and family, going for a walk and appreciating nature and spending time on my own to reflect and meditate

What have I learnt?

Not to buy myself happy and out of feelings, still Working on emotional eating
    Last edited by Debtfreeforever; 01-07-2018 at 11:55 PM.
Page 1
    • Fireflyaway
    • By Fireflyaway 2nd Jul 18, 3:01 PM
    • 2,017 Posts
    • 2,295 Thanks
    Fireflyaway
    • 2nd Jul 18, 3:01 PM
    • 2nd Jul 18, 3:01 PM
    I've learned there is more pleasure in saving up for something than sticking it in credit.
    Emotional eating! Yep I've not cracked that one either. What have I gained from my journey? About 2 stone!
    • Deep In Debt
    • By Deep In Debt 2nd Jul 18, 7:31 PM
    • 8,237 Posts
    • 12,996 Thanks
    Deep In Debt
    • 2nd Jul 18, 7:31 PM
    • 2nd Jul 18, 7:31 PM
    I've learned to enjoy free things like walks and being outside enjoying nature and the environment, which has helped with both my physical and mental health.

I've learned to shop for bargains and getting good deals. My biggest enjoyment is being in a position to save.

I've learned that money doesn't buy happiness.
    Debt 30k in 2008. Cleared all my debt in 2013 and loving being debt free
    Mortgage free since 2014
    • Debtfreeforever
    • By Debtfreeforever 2nd Jul 18, 9:53 PM
    • 61 Posts
    • 72 Thanks
    Debtfreeforever
    • 2nd Jul 18, 9:53 PM
    • 2nd Jul 18, 9:53 PM
    Firefly I'm glad I'm not the only one I guess it is hard to give up everything.

So true what you say, I would feel awful buying anything on credit anymore.
    • Debtfreeforever
    • By Debtfreeforever 2nd Jul 18, 9:57 PM
    • 61 Posts
    • 72 Thanks
    Debtfreeforever
    • 2nd Jul 18, 9:57 PM
    • 2nd Jul 18, 9:57 PM
    Thank you deep in debt, so true money doesn't buy happiness. Must feel amazing being debt and mortgage free
    • indesisiv
    • By indesisiv 3rd Jul 18, 10:42 AM
    • 6,231 Posts
    • 20,438 Thanks
    indesisiv
    • 3rd Jul 18, 10:42 AM
    • 3rd Jul 18, 10:42 AM
    I've learned that not spending money is good for your health.
    Most of my debt was due to just "overliving" or more to the point over partying.
    I gave up smoking and drinking and saved in the region of about £25 a day.
    In order to facilitate the change I took up running as it was pretty much free. So as a side effect I lost several stone, feel much healthier and am running fairly good times for someone who only took up exercise in their 40s.
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
    • Debtfreeforever
    • By Debtfreeforever 3rd Jul 18, 9:20 PM
    • 61 Posts
    • 72 Thanks
    Debtfreeforever
    • 3rd Jul 18, 9:20 PM
    • 3rd Jul 18, 9:20 PM
    That is amazing indesisiv! I wish I had started running, quite the opposite for me.
    • Working Mum
    • By Working Mum 4th Jul 18, 9:46 AM
    • 314 Posts
    • 1,066 Thanks
    Working Mum
    • 4th Jul 18, 9:46 AM
    • 4th Jul 18, 9:46 AM
    I have to say this is a great thing to acknowledge! When we arrive here we are often feeling battered and bruised and like we will have to "give up" all the things we love to be able to afford to repay our debts!!

For me I have found it a really liberating experience to free myself from debt!! I am wiser and kinder and more tolerant as a result of cutting my cloth to my budget and working towards sensible fiscal goals and financial freedom.

I have set a good example to my children; teaching them to manage their budgets and save!

I have learned that there is real kindness in this world - simply reading these strangers supporting other strangers online, often at their darkest times, dealing with thorny painful issues with real care and kindness in a non-judgmental way.

I have learned that having things dos not mean "wealth"

I have learned that I am resilient and can achieve ace things even from an absolute rock bottom!

I have learned that I love being frugal and living a life which does no harm: as I get older this resonates more I am afraid!

Thank you for asking this question as it made me count my blessings and write them down!
    • Bellisima
    • By Bellisima 4th Jul 18, 2:37 PM
    • 110 Posts
    • 150 Thanks
    Bellisima
    • 4th Jul 18, 2:37 PM
    • 4th Jul 18, 2:37 PM
    I have found saving money gives me a buzz, much more that spending it! Through MoneySavingExpert I have made some huge savings, which then gives me more money in my pocket. My most recent saving was new mobile phone sim deals for both me and my husband, saving us over £500 a year. However, I agree that family and nice friends are what matters, not the size of your house and car. I like nice stuff, as we all do, but spending and getting into debt can mean something is missing in your life? Do more freeish stuff - walks, seeing friends and family, watching a good movie is so much more rewarding.
    • Debtfreeforever
    • By Debtfreeforever 4th Jul 18, 2:55 PM
    • 61 Posts
    • 72 Thanks
    Debtfreeforever
    So true Bellisima, thank you for sharing. Excessive spending can be a void filler for sure
    • *snow*white*
    • By *snow*white* 4th Jul 18, 3:22 PM
    • 125 Posts
    • 859 Thanks
    *snow*white*
    This is a really good post. Sometimes debt busting and LBM can feel like a punishment with the assumption that you have to deny yourself.

We have a ways to go with our debt free journey but I feel more at peace and content now than I have for a long time. We have gained control of our lives and finances. I know exactly what our incomings/outgoings and bank balances are.

We have simplified our lives a lot but are enjoying what we do more. We are not afraid of saying no to something that doesn't fit our priorities and this means we enjoy guilt free the things we do.
    1DV100 £0/£2250
    "Little by little one travels far"
    • nomadfreedom
    • By nomadfreedom 4th Jul 18, 9:09 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    nomadfreedom
    Great question!

I'm just starting on clearing £15k in debt that I built while in a soulless corporate job.

I've been living in Bali having a fantastic life on a frugal income, but have returned home for a few months and it's time to tackle this debt.

I've discovered that there is a BIG cost to living somewhere that doesn't make you happy.

If you really want to be in the ocean or on a mountain each day, then you'll sink THOUSANDS trying to capture a fragment of that experience. Just move there instead.

When you're happy with your daily life, you don't need so many of the indulgences you try to compensate yourself with when you're miserable.
    • Clouds88
    • By Clouds88 4th Jul 18, 10:05 PM
    • 58 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    Clouds88
    I am ashamed that I got myself into debt, and had to resort to BR after a few years of trying to sort it out, spent money on gambling too which is now completely sorted and I am now on the road to being debt free. The most important thing I have Learnt is to live within my means and find happiness through free things.

I pack picnics for the kids when we go out for the day now instead of spending lots of money on take out food. I do most of my shopping in Aldi. I really appreciate my free time and focus my energy on my children and husband. We get out more than we used to, bike rides, trips to the beach in this lovely weather. H and M and Primark have replaced Next and Monsoon, (£2.99 dresses are AMAZING) and they still love their clothes.
    • Debtfreeforever
    • By Debtfreeforever 4th Jul 18, 10:52 PM
    • 61 Posts
    • 72 Thanks
    Debtfreeforever
    I love this Snow White, this is brilliant to hear! Certainly makes things easier
    • Debtfreeforever
    • By Debtfreeforever 4th Jul 18, 10:54 PM
    • 61 Posts
    • 72 Thanks
    Debtfreeforever
    That is brilliant clouds88, what a great success story and humbling to hear where you have come from. Thank you for sharing
    • Debtfreeforever
    • By Debtfreeforever 4th Jul 18, 10:58 PM
    • 61 Posts
    • 72 Thanks
    Debtfreeforever
    Wow nomadslife that is so inspiring to hear and so true, wow, that has certainly made me think, that I can achieve, what I really want.

So true if you are not happy and ultametly following your dreams, you are trying to press down the feeling with shopping, eating, drinking etc..
    • Debtfreeforever
    • By Debtfreeforever 4th Jul 18, 11:02 PM
    • 61 Posts
    • 72 Thanks
    Debtfreeforever
    Thank you so much sharing working mum, your words totally resonate with me and I couldn’t agree more, I get so much out of talking, helping, caring for people that are in need.

I love the fact that you are teaching your kids the value of money, brilliant, I wish schools would do that and more parents....
    • Fireflyaway
    • By Fireflyaway 5th Jul 18, 5:27 PM
    • 2,017 Posts
    • 2,295 Thanks
    Fireflyaway
    Kids don't need a lot of money spent on them to be happy. We fell into the trap of entertainment in the form of bowling, trampoline parks, theme parks, shopping trips etc and then realized all that was doing was spending a load of money, petrol and sometimes getting quite stressed at queues and crowds etc! Now we do things such as getting a few cheap nibbles from aldi and watching a free film on tv, getting out the paddling pool, building a blanket fort, cooking together, walking in the country or colouring, bike riding or looking for fish in the stream. Our little one is just as happy doing those things. Kids don't understand money.
    • Debtfreeforever
    • By Debtfreeforever 6th Jul 18, 10:26 PM
    • 61 Posts
    • 72 Thanks
    Debtfreeforever
    Thanks so much fireflyaway
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,825Posts Today

6,639Users online

Martin's Twitter