Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Dragonpie
    • By Dragonpie 19th Jun 18, 5:13 PM
    • 75Posts
    • 94Thanks
    Dragonpie
    So what's next?
    • 19th Jun 18, 5:13 PM
    So what's next? 19th Jun 18 at 5:13 PM
    I have recently started to address my debt, it is definitely manageable at the minute but I have a lot of uncertainty regarding jobs at the minute and am due to be made redundant in September. I have figured out how I intend to proceed with repayments either way but feel like writing this diary will make me a bit better at sticking to my plan! Plus any advice that people can give will be appreciated
    Currently I have a loan with 38 payments left at £295.57, a Tesco CC which is rapidly nearing the end of my 0% offer with £2556.40 and 2 other CCs with BT offers ending in June 2019 with balances of £2356.69 and £3255.30. The plan is to pay off the Tesco CC, then attack the other 2 and finally overpay the loan when all CCs are done (then think about the mortgage!), this plan only works if I find a job however otherwise, I intend to still have paid off the Tesco card by September and then stretch my redundancy payment with minimum payments until I find work and can start repaying again.
    I have already started to address my overspending- food, particularly lunch at work, clothes and shoes seem to be my weaknesses so I am taking my lunch to work and have deleted my shopping apps from my phone.
Page 1
    • onedaysomeday
    • By onedaysomeday 19th Jun 18, 5:24 PM
    • 560 Posts
    • 819 Thanks
    onedaysomeday
    • 19th Jun 18, 5:24 PM
    • 19th Jun 18, 5:24 PM
    Good luck with everything and fingers crossed a job comes up for you x
    Just trying to make up for past mistakes and work towards the future I want
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 19th Jun 18, 5:32 PM
    • 58,054 Posts
    • 239,101 Thanks
    beanielou
    • 19th Jun 18, 5:32 PM
    • 19th Jun 18, 5:32 PM
    Happy shiny new diary

Hope that you get a new job really soon.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 12 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. MFW 2018. No 144
    • Dragonpie
    • By Dragonpie 20th Jun 18, 5:16 PM
    • 75 Posts
    • 94 Thanks
    Dragonpie
    • 20th Jun 18, 5:16 PM
    • 20th Jun 18, 5:16 PM
    Thank you both.

Last 24 hours have been a bit up and down - I had a job interview this morning which seemed to go reasonably we!!!314;l but last night my mobile phone appeared to give up charging so I ended up ordering a new one, although I will be selling my current phone as the main issue is the short battery life and other than that is in good condition, it still mean that I have spent money that I hadn't intended to!
    • Dragonpie
    • By Dragonpie 28th Jun 18, 4:46 PM
    • 75 Posts
    • 94 Thanks
    Dragonpie
    • 28th Jun 18, 4:46 PM
    • 28th Jun 18, 4:46 PM
    Things have already changed a lot since I started this diary... I have a job! It is for the same business so no redundancy payout but wages will be increasing slightly. The aim is still to get the Tesco card paid off by September and then I will be setting up direct debits for the amounts needed to pay the other cards off by the end of their 0% periods. All being well, I should still have a bit of wiggle room in my budget but have the cards paid off without interest.
    • Dragonpie
    • By Dragonpie 28th Jun 18, 4:48 PM
    • 75 Posts
    • 94 Thanks
    Dragonpie
    • 28th Jun 18, 4:48 PM
    • 28th Jun 18, 4:48 PM
    PS I am also planning on trying to earn a little bit extra by selling DVDs, CDs and blu rays as well as a few dresses from a brand which usually sells well on eBay.
    • Dragonpie
    • By Dragonpie 4th Jul 18, 3:15 PM
    • 75 Posts
    • 94 Thanks
    Dragonpie
    • 4th Jul 18, 3:15 PM
    • 4th Jul 18, 3:15 PM
    There has been a hiccup in my plan! I naively assumed that MBNA would pay any funds to the balance transfer with the 0% offer ending soonest meaning and unexpected £20 interest. The offending balance has now been transferred to my Tesco card meaning an increase of about £1180 on the Tesco balance and a decrease of £1130 on the MBNA. I'll chalk this down as an expensive lesson learned!
    I've also learned that I cannot be trusted with a credit card for day to day spending, even if I do get rewards. Today I have deleted record of theCC on all online shopping which I regularly use and from tomorrow the card is staying at home and I will withdraw my budgeted spending money and keep in envelopes.
    • Dragonpie
    • By Dragonpie 11th Jul 18, 6:17 PM
    • 75 Posts
    • 94 Thanks
    Dragonpie
    • 11th Jul 18, 6:17 PM
    • 11th Jul 18, 6:17 PM
    I am still struggling to stick to a budget but I think I am improving! I am allowing myself £20 each week for spending money and £40 each week for household spending, I have just spent nearly £50 at Iceland but that should provide me with all the protein (meat,cheese and eggs) for at least a month so am hoping to only spend £20 each week on top up foods. I also went via Quidco for my Iceland shop and used a £5 voucher
    • Starmummy
    • By Starmummy 11th Jul 18, 8:46 PM
    • 276 Posts
    • 1,307 Thanks
    Starmummy
    • 11th Jul 18, 8:46 PM
    • 11th Jul 18, 8:46 PM
    Good luck Dragon. keep up the good fight and congrats on the job
    debt consolidated 16/8/18 £11,917.34/£12,618.12 (Total debt at LBM c..£19.5k)
    EF savings £650.06 House Deposit (LISA) £480.00/£12,000 4%
    • Dragonpie
    • By Dragonpie 12th Jul 18, 8:11 AM
    • 75 Posts
    • 94 Thanks
    Dragonpie
    Thanks Starmummy. :-)

I'm aiming for a NSD today, I prepped my lunch last night and have empty water bottles to fill in my desk drawer, fingers crossed!
    • Dragonpie
    • By Dragonpie 12th Jul 18, 7:37 PM
    • 75 Posts
    • 94 Thanks
    Dragonpie
    I was sooooo close to a NSD, until I got a message telling me that we needed tortoise food! Only 50p but still not a NSD. Still an improvement on the £10ish that I used to spend though and I can always try again tomorrow.
    • Dragonpie
    • By Dragonpie 13th Jul 18, 1:54 PM
    • 75 Posts
    • 94 Thanks
    Dragonpie
    NSD so far today but that will be going put of the window with tonight's takeaway.
    Not spending at work has had a further benefit as it has meant that I have had to stop my diet coke addiction, can't wait for the withdrawal headache to clear!
    • katsoocam
    • By katsoocam 13th Jul 18, 2:17 PM
    • 91 Posts
    • 275 Thanks
    katsoocam
    Dragonpie I have massive sympathy here, when I stopped drinking Diet Coke the headaches were awful, but you are right it is so expensive, and you save a lot by quitting!
    • Dragonpie
    • By Dragonpie 14th Jul 18, 1:30 PM
    • 75 Posts
    • 94 Thanks
    Dragonpie
    Thanks katssocam...I think the headaches have finally passed! Took about 2 days and last night was spent lay down (and drinking wine!) to help the headache pass.
    Today is a top up shop day, Ald1 for my fresh food and W1lkinsons for some bits for the house, aiming for £25-£30 spend today.
    • Dragonpie
    • By Dragonpie 16th Jul 18, 7:19 PM
    • 75 Posts
    • 94 Thanks
    Dragonpie
    NSD yesterday, today has been around £3 so not too bad; I've managed to batch cook 4 portions of chilli and 4 portions of bolognaise sauce and will have 2 portions of Mexican rice with chicken left over from tea, hopefully this will mean that those days where I am too tired to cook and order a takeaway will be replaced with homemade food from the freezer.
    I've not had energy drinks since Thursday and no diet coke since Wednesday so hopefully that particular spend will be removed going forward.
    • MovingForwards
    • By MovingForwards 16th Jul 18, 7:42 PM
    • 422 Posts
    • 507 Thanks
    MovingForwards
    I used to leave my purse at home and just take a bit of cash to work, meant I cołldnt spend on my debit card.

Now I take money out the bank each week (on a Saturday), buy food etc and have money in my purse for work. If I have spare money in my purse on the Saturday I take less out for the following week.

You will find your routine
    • Dragonpie
    • By Dragonpie 17th Jul 18, 5:06 PM
    • 75 Posts
    • 94 Thanks
    Dragonpie
    Not quite a NSD today but only spent £1 on a multipack of crisps which will last for the rest of the week and I no longer have any money in my purse so hopefully I can avoid spending tomorrow! I have a cashforclothes pick up booked for tomorrow, I won't get paid a lot but it will get rid of some clutter and 'not a lot' is better than 'nothing'
    • Dragonpie
    • By Dragonpie 17th Jul 18, 5:44 PM
    • 75 Posts
    • 94 Thanks
    Dragonpie
    I forgot my biggest piece of money saving news.. My 5 year fixed deal has finally ended on my mortgage, I am in a new 5 year deal but paying £55 less each month
    • Dragonpie
    • By Dragonpie 18th Jul 18, 3:39 PM
    • 75 Posts
    • 94 Thanks
    Dragonpie
    Payday today but it isn't the same on a budget, I am aiming to have the same amount every week so no more counting down to payday for me! I went on Noddle earlier and found out that my total debts (CCs and loan) total £20,289 so this has definitely made me more focused.
    I have reduced my overdraft today to £250, which is the maximum that I can use without being charged. My other plan may be a bit odd but I am NOT paying my CC, I have a CC that I use for day to day spending because I get rewards but I tend to overspend, my theory is, by delaying when I pay there is less available on the CC so I can't spend as much.
    It's only 3.30 but I am on target for my first NSD since I started my diary.
    • Dragonpie
    • By Dragonpie 19th Jul 18, 1:58 PM
    • 75 Posts
    • 94 Thanks
    Dragonpie
    I may have figured out part of my problem when it comes to budgeting... I keep thinking that I have had an NSD today because I seem to disregard money spent online! I need to work on recognising that it all still counts.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,737Posts Today

6,504Users online

Martin's Twitter