Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dumpling
    • By dumpling 17th May 18, 5:03 AM
    • 1,525Posts
    • 21,334Thanks
    dumpling
    Old Style Daily Thursday 17th May
    • 17th May 18, 5:03 AM
    Old Style Daily Thursday 17th May 17th May 18 at 5:03 AM
    This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Page 1
    • dumpling
    • By dumpling 17th May 18, 5:16 AM
    • 1,525 Posts
    • 21,334 Thanks
    dumpling
    • 17th May 18, 5:16 AM
    • 17th May 18, 5:16 AM
    Good morning everyone

I managed a few more hours sleep last night so I don't feel so much like a zombie today so I thought I would start us all off. It's too dark to see what the weather is like but the birdies are all chirping away.

Gers, it was Phoebe that started a job last weekend. She did really well and quite enjoyed it and they were pleased with her so she is working again this weekend. She has her last appointment with camhs at the beginning of next month but they are really pleased with her progress and I think the medication has helped her a lot.

TA, just to go along with what has already been said, sending you loads of hugs and hoping Mr TA manages to find something palatable to eat. Such a lot of stress and worry for you xx

Another quiet day here apart from all the banging and noise coming from the builders. I was on the verge of kicking them out yesterday as my stress levels were so high but managed to distract myself for a few hours until they had gone home. I know I am being very unreasonable and it will all be worth it in the end.

Good old sausage and mash for tea, I made some bakestones yesterday but they vanished as soon as the girls got home. I will make a cake today as it helps to be busy. The diet is going very badly and that is all I want to say about that.

I hope you all have a great day whatever you are up to, take care xx

• TravellingAbuela
    • By TravellingAbuela 17th May 18, 6:16 AM
    • 4,185 Posts
    • 30,540 Thanks
    TravellingAbuela
    • 17th May 18, 6:16 AM
    • 17th May 18, 6:16 AM
    Morning fellow insomniacs. I slept soundly (surprisingly) until I woke with a start at 5.00 and that was my lot. Pleased yesterday's meeting went well HOLLY.

Thanks everybody for all the lovely comments yesterday. I really was at my lowest ebb. Today I shall don my big girls knickers and carry on coping. Wallowing in misery doesn't help. BTW the kids are well aware of all the diagnosis/prognosis etc and up to date with the outcome of every appointment etc. It's my worries about everything I try and shield them from. This stems from my own mother who wasn't good at coping with life and I was bombarded with calls, day and night, from her about the least thing that was worrying her. I swore blind I wouldn't be the same with my kids. It's all about finding a happy medium I suppose!

We went to DGDs confirmation last night and the church was packed to the rafters. It was a lovely service and DGD looked lovely and so grown up in her posh dress. We didn't go on to the restaurant after though as Mr TA just wanted to get home and get his feet up. He couldn't have eaten anything anyway.

Today we have the monthly Oncology clinic in Leeds and travelling in style! The surgery has arranged taxi transfer for us, being the first time. In future, sadly, it will be the normal patient transfer service! The bus/train travelling was getting too much for Mr TA to handle and to drive ourselves through Leeds is not an option!

After a chilly, cloudy day yesterday the sun has got his hat back on this morning. Have a good day folks and ((HUGS)) as always for all who need them. Take care xx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
    • Gers
    • By Gers 17th May 18, 6:18 AM
    • 6,786 Posts
    • 44,588 Thanks
    Gers
    • 17th May 18, 6:18 AM
    • 17th May 18, 6:18 AM
    Morning everyone.

Thanks dumpling - it’s good to hear the Phoebe’s efforts are paying off. Well done her!

That cold wind came back late yesterday afternoon, this morning is not as bright either.

This morning I have work to mark and then later there’s another exam to invigilate, think it’s Higher Business. ‘Higher’ is the Scottish equivalent to English ‘A level’.

I hope everyone is doing well or getting better. Happy Thursday folks.
    • nmlc
    • By nmlc 17th May 18, 6:24 AM
    • 3,221 Posts
    • 44,695 Thanks
    nmlc
    • 17th May 18, 6:24 AM
    • 17th May 18, 6:24 AM
    Morning everyone

TA - thinking of you both x

dumpling - thanks for starting us off x

Hugs to those that want/need one x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

DH up and gone to work stupid early, DS1 now getting ready for work and DS2 still in his pit, will wake him shortly.

Blue sky and sunshine, but the air is a bit nippy, hopefully it'll warm up in a while.

Dinner last night was a cheeky takeaway - DH's idea, not mine, but was eaten and enjoyed by us all. Tonight will be the pork steaks that we should have had last night.

Yesterday work wasn't as busy but steady, I'm now on days' off and not back to work until Monday so have my "to do" list today so will just work my way steadily through the jobs. I have a nail appointment this morning, so that will take care of the morning, I'll try to get a pan of potatoes prepped before I go out so at least that will be done, and also give the kitchen a tidy. I have a basket full of washing that did go out on the line yesterday but it's still a bit damp, so that's going to go back out and I have a load ready to go in the WM, I think then I'll be able to start on the towels and bedding. It makes the washing and drying so much easier when it can be line dried and I can do a wash load put it out on the line before work and get it in all nice and dry when I get home.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
    • tru
    • By tru 17th May 18, 6:30 AM
    • 8,720 Posts
    • 45,920 Thanks
    tru
    • 17th May 18, 6:30 AM
    • 17th May 18, 6:30 AM
    Morning

TravellingAbuela I'm sorry the news wasn't better. Thinking of you both, and please don't apologise! xx

Out with Scampi yesterday, I finally managed to talk to the local man with the bulldog – only because he didn't have his dog with him and he was on the other side of the road He asked why Scampi reacts, I told him and he said he thought he was probably nervous but wasn't sure. He asked if I'd like him to do X, Y and Z if we spot each other and both have our dogs with us, I told him that was exactly what I try to do but most people think they know better and do something that sets him off. Thanked him very much and told him I wished everyone was like him, lol.

I have no work today and the housework is all done, all I have to do is hang out one load of washing. I'll sort through a bit more junk then spend time staring at yarn, I'm hoping the perfect colours for my blanket will jump out at me

Bulletproof
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 17th May 18, 6:41 AM
    • 4,078 Posts
    • 49,997 Thanks
    camelot1001
    • 17th May 18, 6:41 AM
    • 17th May 18, 6:41 AM
    Morning All

Big hugs to you TA.

Lovely morning again, I hope DS2 and GF are having the same weather up north, he sent some photos and the scenery is stunning. I really must go some time!

I've finished the driveway! Just the power washer to play with at the weekend then I can re-sand it and forget about it for a few weeks. Must keep up to date with the weed killer and perhaps it wont get so bad although there's not much I can do about the moss.

Work again today, parents afternoon so will be bombarded with questions all day from parents! DD is coming to give me a lift to the allotment then home.

Have a good day, take care. XX
    • ancientofdays
    • By ancientofdays 17th May 18, 6:54 AM
    • 1,911 Posts
    • 23,336 Thanks
    ancientofdays
    • 17th May 18, 6:54 AM
    • 17th May 18, 6:54 AM
    Good morning, the sun is shining here - yesterday was overcast and quite cold.

I'm working today but a late start as I have another late appointment and also am owed many hours now. I probably won't get many of those back but my lovely manager has suggested that I might just like to work what hours are necessary for the final couple of weeks.

Dumpling, great news about Phoebe.

TA, hope today goes well. You must be exhausted. I'm not surprised about your decision not to drive through Leeds, that city motorway thingy is horrendous. Last time I used it I ended up somewhere I'd never heard of and had to stop for a while and breathe deeply before starting aha in.

Holly, great that the consultant's visit was so positive and that he is listening to what has worked for you in the past.

I really should get on with getting on!

Hope today is good for everyone.
    Last edited by ancientofdays; 17-05-2018 at 6:58 AM.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 17th May 18, 7:23 AM
    • 2,493 Posts
    • 31,243 Thanks
    LaineyT
    • 17th May 18, 7:23 AM
    • 17th May 18, 7:23 AM
    Morning everyone,

Am online a tad earlier today as have a Lu lesson at 9am, it’s good to have someone on the ground whilst we work advising how things could be done better.
    The weather is nicer here today although still very cold, I sat on the sofa with a blanket around me last night as flatly refuse to put the heating on in May! It’s meant to get warmer today and we are planning to go out for lunch so looking forward to that.
    What an understanding fellow dog owner TRU and good of him to ask how he can help.
    Sounds a positive meeting with your consultant Holly, enjoy your lunch.

Have a good day folks x
    • redruby
    • By redruby 17th May 18, 7:24 AM
    • 6,842 Posts
    • 95,723 Thanks
    redruby
    Morning all

Running late so a quick one from me wishing everyone well and sending hugs to the TA's x

Have good days all xx
    • TravellingAbuela
    • By TravellingAbuela 17th May 18, 7:29 AM
    • 4,185 Posts
    • 30,540 Thanks
    TravellingAbuela
    AOD you have described that Leeds system spot on. We only used it once ourselves, quite some years ago, when visiting our nephew in St James. Like you we ended up totally lost without a clue where we were! We stopped a passing man and he looked a bit askance at our question of where are we?!! We got to the hospital eventually, vowing never again!!

When we have to get a taxi from the station they have to use that system obviously and when DS took us for the last stent change he had to use it but he wasn't impressed with it! At least he didn't get us lost though! It's fingers crossed that our taxi driver today is acquainted with it!
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 17th May 18, 8:37 AM
    • 2,128 Posts
    • 17,377 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Good morning everyone,

It's almost Friday.

Firstly TA, I'm sorry it's not better news. And never apologise for coming on here to get things of your chest, that's the whole point. Whenever I go through a difficulty in life I remind myself of the saying "smooth sea's never made a skilled sailor". To apply that to yourself, you're such a strong, determined, thoughtful, grateful and dedicated woman, wife and mother. Bad things happen to good people unfortunately. We're always here if you need us.

For me today, I've been to the gym and I'll perhaps stay a little bit later in work followed by a night at my mates house to chill out on the Xbox for a bit. He's recently split up with his long-term GF and he's not one for showing his emotions so no doubt he'll need some company but won't ask.

HH - Good to hear that the professionals are actually asking you what made you feel better for a change!
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16
  • archived user
    Morning all,

Holly i'm glad all went well with the consultant and care co ordinator. Enjoy your walk today. Hopefully where you are is as warm and sunny as it is here.

Ive got to do a wheelie bin tetris in a bit. We have green recycling one week, garden waste the other. Seems like ive put the garden waste out the wrong week. To be honest i can never remember which week is which so i just look out the window and see what my neighbours put out.... well i did yesterday and it looks like they got it wrong too.

How about this for a coincidence. My daughter in SA sent me a few pictures of the house they are moving into. This picture really stood out to me, apart from liking the tiles i didnt know why.

Then it dawned on me. Look at the tiles in my bathroom.

No plans for me today, just the ritualistic vacuuming, need to bleach the bathroom and the side of the house but thats it.

Tru Ginge is a barker, she barks at dogs, open doors, open windows, my neighbours empty gardens. Anything really though its only really embarrassing when we are out.

TA Hope all goes well at the hospital today. Enjoy your ride in style.

Dumpling I wish i was the sort of woman who didnt eat when she got stressed but i'm not and my big girl knickers are a bit tight at the moment. Ive had a couple of stress free days so ive been able to eat what i should eat and not what i want which has been a help.

Onwards and forwards,

have a great day all.
    • mehefin
    • By mehefin 17th May 18, 8:57 AM
    • 289 Posts
    • 1,691 Thanks
    mehefin
    Morning all
    Hugs and spoons to those in need especially the TAs.

Well the poo run to the allotments generated another 2 orders which was a nice result. Just have to get it sorted now. 4 trips so far this week has definitely played havoc with my tiredness levels.

Lainey Don't mention the c word..Have lost at least 3 to it over the years and each one was as horrible as you can imagine. Also had laminitis in several of them too. Sometimes I think that those of us that look after our animals seem to get the worst luck, whilst other neglected things stay fit and healthy.
    DS who claims to be a hard nosed little sod was so upset when we lost our aged pony just after new year. It was 'the end of my childhood'. Fact that the old girl was 35 and he is 24 didn't come into it. Strange how we are all affected isn't it? Find myself welling up having just typed that so I will buzz off.

Take care
    Mehefin
    • MoneySavingEmma
    • By MoneySavingEmma 17th May 18, 8:58 AM
    • 61 Posts
    • 770 Thanks
    MoneySavingEmma
    Good morning

Fairly cloudy here at the moment but I can see bits of blue trying to peek through so hopefully they will win! Bit grumpy with OH this morning for not getting the rubbish/recycling ready to go out so I ended up rushing around doing it 5 minutes after I wanted to leave! Only a minor problem I know but it drives me mad!

Birds had raided the feeders yesterday so I've also filled them up, I love watching them all, one of the best things about moving from a flat to a house with a garden last year

TA - just echoing what others are saying, sorry to hear you have yet another diagnosis to deal with,
    life just isn't fair, and I am in awe of how you cope and all you do. Certainly never apologise for venting here, that is exactly what we are here for!

dumpling, I hope you can see the end in sight with your bathroom renovations, soon the workmen will be a distant memory. And well done to Phoebe, that's great for her

aod, is this the countdown to retirement? How exciting!

Holly I am so pleased it sounds like you finally have some people who understand the sort of care you need, after being messed around for so long, hopefully this is the path to much better times ahead for you

Must dash off to a quick training meeting. Then need to finish various bits and pieces as I've decided to take the day off tomorrow. OH is off too so we will try and find somewhere to get out too.

Hugs/spoons/thoughts to all as needed. Have a good Thursday
    Emma
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 17th May 18, 9:00 AM
    • 12,676 Posts
    • 43,548 Thanks
    Nelski
    Morning

TA I remember the city loop well in leeds and if you missed your turnoff it could take you half an hour to get back to the same place. Hope the appointment today doesn't add to your stress

Not very fond of our wonderful NHS today my hip op has been postponed again. It was going to be the 29th May (coincidentally the day after bank holiday) and has been postponed due to an emergency needing the slot. Rang my "friend" in admissions who confirmed the emergency case. How can it be an emergency 2 weeks away?? (you know when you can tell someone is uncomfortable saying something not true?) a small rant later and I asked him if it was just a holiday extension ...he stayed quiet I understand people have holidays but this is now really affecting my life both for more time in pain and work that I had booked which I had to cancel and let down customers again I know my op is nothing compared to mr TA or Hollys situation though so I will accept it and hope the next date sticks this time.

Gorgeous blue sky here today which does make life seem better may get an hour in the garden later Food wise I have an Ansburys delivery this morning and i ordered a large chicken so will cook that later for the freezer and have a hot chicken sandwich with crusty bread and a salad today

Hope everyone has a good day if possible
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 17th May 18, 9:32 AM
    • 16,404 Posts
    • 140,217 Thanks
    JackieO
    Oh Nelski what a nuisance for you ,it disrupts everything when ops. are cancelled, fingers crossed for the next date honey.

Well the sun is out but it doesn't seem that warm at the moment ,quite windy, looking out at the tree at the bottom of my garden in fact.

Later on today I am going to youngest DD's house as my DGD and GGD are coming over for a visit so much baby cuddling will be going on .

It would have been my late Oh's 85th birthday today so I will be staying for dinner tonight as I always do and we have a long laugh-filled dinner remembering him, and all the jokes he played on us all over the years

I am making a cake to take with me and we have a toast to absent 'Dad'

Its a celebration in our family of a lovely man who is still very much missed even after almost 15 years.

I hope everyone has a good day, and if the sun is out there, it shines down on you all

JackieO xxx

R.I.P. Alan 1933-2003
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus. 2018:Food Budget only( 1st Oct £30.96,15 Oct £14.28 total for month £45.24,) Total end of October since Jan £307.43
    • snoozer
    • By snoozer 17th May 18, 9:34 AM
    • 2,163 Posts
    • 22,816 Thanks
    snoozer
    Holly, I'm glad this consultant seems more attuned to you.

dumpling and judi, I too am losing the battle with food at the moment - chocolate is my downfall, I've always used it as a comforter and I suppose always will.

TA, I hope today isn't too stressful.

Well, dd's appointment wasn't as positive as they'd hoped. They were offered IVF straight away which came as a shock to them, but also made her feel worse, as you can probably imagine. Anyway they have decided to try conventional treatment first because she really doesn't want to go down the IVF route. As you can imagine, I then had a difficult night.
    • Gers
    • By Gers 17th May 18, 10:19 AM
    • 6,786 Posts
    • 44,588 Thanks
    Gers
    Sorry about your news Nelski! It's so annoying, especially as you've been fed untruths.

My neighbour is here doing the fencing. At the same time the farmer's wife (my nearest neighbour) is walking her two working dogs and an orphaned Hebridean lamb called Dave!

Not sure if he's helping but he certainly made me smile.
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 17th May 18, 10:46 AM
    • 12,676 Posts
    • 43,548 Thanks
    Nelski
    Sorry about your news Nelski! It's so annoying, especially as you've been fed untruths.

My neighbour is here doing the fencing. At the same time the farmer's wife (my nearest neighbour) is walking her two working dogs and an orphaned Hebridean lamb called Dave!

Not sure if he's helping but he certainly made me smile.
    Originally posted by Gers
    Oh how gorgeous Gers i want a pet lamb
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

141Posts Today

1,557Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I've just heard about the 8 month pregnant woman shot through the stomach by a crossbow. Its both evil and medie? https://t.co/hQTOxWiXhj

• Major new guide... Brexit, what it means for you and your finances: M mortgages, savings, flights, consumer rights? https://t.co/SXCMG2qXwX

• Have you haggled on the high street in the last year? If so who with and did you succeed? Please vote in this week? https://t.co/fdzmmFfA4u

• Follow Martin