Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 8balluk8
    • By 8balluk8 16th May 18, 11:57 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    8balluk8
    London Undergrond with Family
    • 16th May 18, 11:57 AM
    London Undergrond with Family 16th May 18 at 11:57 AM
    Hi all

Can you tell me the cheapest way of travelling round London on the underground for a family of 4 (2 children 16/13) for the day

We will be getting on and ending our day in Zone 8 Watford high street. Don't seem to be able to purchase for this zone tho.

Help will greatly appreciated
Page 1
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 16th May 18, 5:38 PM
    • 7,141 Posts
    • 6,590 Thanks
    KeithP
    • 16th May 18, 5:38 PM
    • 16th May 18, 5:38 PM
    Firstly, a 16 year old is an adult in railway terms.

The easiest way for the three adults is for each one to have a contactless payment card. You do need one card each though. You annot share a card when travelling. It does not have to be in the traveller's name.

Buying a one day child's travelcard for the child is probably easiest.
    • jbuchanangb
    • By jbuchanangb 18th May 18, 6:02 PM
    • 376 Posts
    • 116 Thanks
    jbuchanangb
    • 18th May 18, 6:02 PM
    • 18th May 18, 6:02 PM
    I looked up Off peak travel cards for 3 adults & 1 child on a train operating company's web site and it priced it at 47.50.
    Enter Watford High Street as the origin station and London Underground Zones 1-6 as the destination station.

You can buy on line and collect from ticket office or ticket machine at the station, or buy from the ticket office at the station.

If you had a Family & Friends railcard, that would have been reduced to 29.40, but the railcard costs 30. Of course the railcard is valid for a year, so if you planned any other journey within 12 months you would easily get your money back.
    • AirlieBird
    • By AirlieBird 19th May 18, 7:22 AM
    • 1,007 Posts
    • 812 Thanks
    AirlieBird
    • 19th May 18, 7:22 AM
    • 19th May 18, 7:22 AM
    I looked up Off peak travel cards for 3 adults & 1 child on a train operating company's web site and it priced it at 47.50.
    Enter Watford High Street as the origin station and London Underground Zones 1-6 as the destination station.
    Originally posted by jbuchanangb
    With Group Save it is 33.70. The 3 adults must always travel together.
    Did you really mean to put loose?
    Lose: no longer possess, not to retain, unable to find
    Loose: not firmly or tightly fixed in place
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,366Posts Today

7,800Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin