Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 16th May 18, 5:52 AM
    • 1,517Posts
    • 16,422Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    Old Style Daily Wednesday 16th May 2018
    • 16th May 18, 5:52 AM
    Old Style Daily Wednesday 16th May 2018 16th May 18 at 5:52 AM
    This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.
    Last edited by Hollyharvey; 16-05-2018 at 5:58 AM.
Page 2
    • Floss
    • By Floss 16th May 18, 11:25 AM
    • 4,728 Posts
    • 43,271 Thanks
    Floss
    Nelski is it worth ringing her surgery to voice your concerns, and asking if they have any check-up she could be invited to?
    • TravellingAbuela
    • By TravellingAbuela 16th May 18, 12:16 PM
    • 4,080 Posts
    • 28,850 Thanks
    TravellingAbuela
    We are back from the surgery and I just feel totally at rock bottom and wonder how many more illnesses can floor Mr TA and how many more I can cope with. This inability to digest food and get it past the stomach is called Gastroparesis and there is no guaranteed cure. It is caused by nerve and muscle damage which happens for no apparent reason. There are various treatments which apparently are worse than living with the problem and only have a small degree of success. They may have to be considered So yet another debilitating illness to "live" with.
    I can't but help thinking they must all be interconnected somehow but the medics say not and he is just damned unfortunate. That is an understatement to say the least!

Meanwhile the doctor has prescribed nutritional drinks and shakes. But not the fruity syrupy ones he hated first time round. And to continue with the limited food options he can digest. So there we have it. Life isn't a lot of fun just now. And just to round the week off nicely we have the Leeds trip tomorrow for his Oncology appointment.

Sorry for the moan but I just needed to get it off my chest and hate offloading my worries and woes to the kids - even though they are in their 40's I don't like upsetting them.

Hope you are all having a better day and take care xx
    Last edited by TravellingAbuela; 16-05-2018 at 12:19 PM.
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
    • bellabella
    • By bellabella 16th May 18, 12:23 PM
    • 49 Posts
    • 775 Thanks
    bellabella
    TA I am sorry to hear this I am thinking of you both x
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 16th May 18, 12:39 PM
    • 12,500 Posts
    • 40,892 Thanks
    Nelski
    TA stop apologising to us everyone here is your friend and friends are here to listen.

Im so sorry to hear this you deserve so much better. Wish there was something we could do or say to help. Take care and know at the very least there is a lot of love for you both on here
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 16th May 18, 1:07 PM
    • 16,076 Posts
    • 136,695 Thanks
    JackieO
    I agree with Nelski we are all here to listen and are sending positive thoughts to you and Mr TA. What rotten luck ,you both must be heartily sick of the appointments.

Had a wander round with DD and I bought two birthday cards for two of my DGS whose birthdays are next month She bought lots of bits and pieces, and bless her a coupls of cream cakes which I said we could have at home as the cafe in the mall was busy, (and overpriced ) so we came back to my house and enjoyed the cream slices and my own coffee

My nets are back up and sparkling and fresh again , shortly going off to youngest DD's.

Nice day here but not as warm as yesterday so I think you picked the right day for the seaside HollyH

JackieO xxx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus. 2018
    Half year totals = £166.19.This is for food only
    &/6/18 first food shop this month £13.48
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 16th May 18, 1:34 PM
    • 1,517 Posts
    • 16,422 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    We are back from the surgery ...
    Originally posted by TravellingAbuela
    I am so sorry that it wasn't better news and that you both have even more to cope with. Please don't apologise for coming on here and moaning, I just wish there was something that I could do for you other than offering virtual support ((hugs)) xx
    • silver-oldie
    • By silver-oldie 16th May 18, 2:09 PM
    • 451 Posts
    • 6,375 Thanks
    silver-oldie
    TA we are all here to listen, wish there was something more we could do.
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
    • Floss
    • By Floss 16th May 18, 2:16 PM
    • 4,728 Posts
    • 43,271 Thanks
    Floss
    TA my DH's younger niece has that along with a couple of other conditions, she really misses her food

I do think you should talk to your children - when my father was first diagnosed with cancer the parents kept the true nature of his life expectancy to themselves until he was diagnosed terminal 9 months later & died within 6 weeks. My mum learnt to share when she was diagnosed, mainly because one of us 4 siblings took her to hospital appointments, and it was easier to deal with the facts in our own time than in the rush to spend precious time with my dad while he was still able.
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 16th May 18, 3:01 PM
    • 3,873 Posts
    • 51,995 Thanks
    monnagran
    TA, as an infrequent visitor, may I just say that it seems totally unfair that you and your DH should have such burdens to bear.
    If it were at all possible, I would gladly donate some of my own good health to your DH, and I'm sure that I'm far from being the only one.

You will both be in my thoughts and prayers.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • ScarletRibbons
    • By ScarletRibbons 16th May 18, 3:31 PM
    • 300 Posts
    • 3,968 Thanks
    ScarletRibbons
    Hi, i'm late to the party today.

Sorry to hear about Mr TA's further health problem, you must both be so sick of it. Hope you can get some calories into him.
    Mrs SD, you seem to be having a painful time of it, hope you'll soon feel better.

Cold and greyish here, with a brisk wind, wait a minute, the sun is breaking through, whoo hoo.
    DD is taking Dgd to swimming herself today, so we've got the afternoon off.

Dh is painting our sitting room, and I'm still dithering on about new curtains. There's nothing
    wrong with the existing ones, I would just like a change.

Had a friend visit this morning for coffee, and she stayed for lunch. There's been a lot of talking done here today.

take care folks, "see" you tomorrow.
    • TravellingAbuela
    • By TravellingAbuela 16th May 18, 3:56 PM
    • 4,080 Posts
    • 28,850 Thanks
    TravellingAbuela
    Aw thank you so much dear friends for all the kind words. I have been close to tears reading them all. It's as if this latest diagnosis is the straw that broke the camel's back and it has upset me so much. Hopefully I will bounce back and continue to cope as I do with all his other health problems. I am just glad I am in reasonable health myself as it makes it easier. I am now avidly reading up what foods are best or should be avoided and how to build the calories up without resorting to full fat everything as that is a no-no. The doctor said she could refer us to a dietician/nutritionist if we struggled.

FLOSS I don't shield the kids from the actual diagnosis of all his ailments I just don't let them see how badly it all affects me as well! Maybe I should.

Thanks again all you lovely people for the kind words xx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
    • Gers
    • By Gers 16th May 18, 3:58 PM
    • 6,533 Posts
    • 41,856 Thanks
    Gers
    Afternoon folks.

Another one here who is sending up hugs and thoughts - TA never feel that you can't come here to moan! What you and MrTA are going through is awful, please let your children support you as much as you are supporting him. We all need it. xx

It's a glorious day here with a wee nippy wind just to remind me that I live on the West Coast of Scotland! The washing I put out first thing has all dried. Since I came home I've been wandering around the back garden enjoying the sight of the hugely flowering clematis, the beautiful bluebells along with the odd whitebell and the slowly emerging Welsh poppies which will shortly be taking over the whole garden. The wild garlic smells wonderful, just waiting for the lavender to flower and scent the other part of the garden,.

School session was fine - I had three pupils doing Higher History on PCs so I got stuck into a Peter May book. Then I had a meeting with a work colleague who helped relieve my EV anxiety. A letter from the employer I do two days a month for told me that my job was not 'at risk' during their redundancy consultation rounds. That's some gin money safe!

It's lovely to read about horses and dogs and holidays and outings and wins and troubles and families and french France every day. I have not got a horse, or a dog, no holiday or outing planned, haven't entered a competition, have no real troubles, family is fine and there's no house in french France. My contribution here is just wittering and mumbling!

Dumpling - I've been wondering about Becky's Saturday job (was it Becky?) - how is she enjoying it?

My book is beckoning. I shall sit outside to finish it off.
    • snoozer
    • By snoozer 16th May 18, 4:30 PM
    • 2,049 Posts
    • 21,173 Thanks
    snoozer
    TA, we too have had experience of parents protecting their adult children and believe me they would rather share in the worry and try to help than not.

I'm really sorry Mr TA hasn't had better news.

We took Ziggy home and then got stuck on the M11 at a standstill for 2 hours while police sorted out a bad crash. Just home now and have remembered that we are supposed to be seeing a theatre live performance of American in Paris tonight.
    • Lindsay C
    • By Lindsay C 16th May 18, 5:01 PM
    • 90 Posts
    • 464 Thanks
    Lindsay C
    Just to send hugs to TA. I know that i am a newbie poster to you, but i have been following for a long time before plucking up the courage to stick my head out (in a non stalker way of course). As the daughter of a mum who doesnt show how badly things affect her - please let your children know. They'll want to be able to help and support.
    • newroadahead
    • By newroadahead 16th May 18, 6:17 PM
    • 728 Posts
    • 5,277 Thanks
    newroadahead
    Just a quick peek to say hi and send hugs to the TA family, Sorry
    the news wasn't better and it is all such a worry
    Hoping everyone is enjoying the better weather it does seem improve
    some people's mood especially at work
    Ddad went off on his holibobs this morning and has arrived safely in Greece

They say hotel is fantastic and after all the health scares I had with him earlier in
    the year sunshine and warmth is just what he needs
    Once he returns my holiday will be just around the corner and I really can't wait it
    has been a full on 2 years with one thing and another

Hugs to all
    Take care
    NRA xxxx
    NewRoadAhead
    Debts Sep 2009 £35,000.00
    Debt Free November 2014
    Member 51 £1,0000 emergency Fund
    October GC £ /£250.00
    • Judi
    • By Judi 16th May 18, 6:42 PM
    • 16,401 Posts
    • 72,273 Thanks
    Judi
    TA I'm so sorry the news from the surgery wasn't good. I wish there was more we could do but please keep posting.

A quiet night in front of the telly for me after a quiet day in the house.

Have a good evening all.
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • csarina2
    • By csarina2 16th May 18, 6:45 PM
    • 2,119 Posts
    • 21,253 Thanks
    csarina2
    Evening ((((((((((hugs)))))))))) if you need one, several for Mr and Mrs TA. I am so sorry that yet something else has entered the equation, I know how difficult it is to cope........

Holly, pleased you had a good day yesterday at the sea side.

We arrived at our B & B in one piece, although a couple of times I threatened OH. He is the worst back seat driver imaginable, twice he sent me the wrong way...... and again today.

yesterday was very warm once you were out of the wind, we sat outside here drinking tea after we arrived. It is a lovely place, we are in the Piggery.......no comments thank you!! A pleasant room with all mod cons and wonderfully quiet.

We woke up to rain this morning, but that did not keep us in, after a very good breakfast we were off to B & M and Morrison for various bits an pieces, we then set off for Seaton a little place with a lovely beach. We went into The Smugglers Rest for lunch, OH wanted pasties, so pasties we had.......

We moved the car round into the beach cafe car park and treated ourselves to an ice cream. Sat reading and people watching for a while, the beach is one of the ones you can take dogs on all the year round, so plenty of people walking their dogs.

We have just had our supper, sandwiches, yogurt and a packet of crisps between us. We can use the kitchen and breakfast room for meals which is very nice, and the wi fi signal is quite strong in here, not so much in our room across the yard.

Tomorrow we plan to go to Heligan, we are taking a picnic with us, we are going to call at the local fish and chip shop on the way home for a fish supper.............
    • RosyRed
    • By RosyRed 16th May 18, 6:46 PM
    • 1,777 Posts
    • 21,534 Thanks
    RosyRed
    Just having a catch up on here and wanted to send my hugs and best wishes to the TAs. You sound so down with it all and we all wish we could help I'm sure. So sorry you both have another thing to cope with xx
    'A woman is like a teabag: You never know her strength until you drop her in hot water'. (Eleanor Roosevelt)
    • whiteguineapig
    • By whiteguineapig 16th May 18, 7:19 PM
    • 1,181 Posts
    • 6,115 Thanks
    whiteguineapig
    I wish it was better news for you TA, I think you cope so well.
    • meanmarie
    • By meanmarie 16th May 18, 7:50 PM
    • 4,997 Posts
    • 48,477 Thanks
    meanmarie
    TA I am so sorry to hear your news......positive vibes to you both, please keep your family up to date on how you are feeling, a physical hug can work wonders, and keep posting, we are all on your side.

Enjoy your holiday Csarina, Cornwall is one of the places on my bucket list, unfortunately OH is no longer happy to travel....I have thought of coach tours, not sure how that would be.

Its been a really nice day here and is still sunny and warm.

Enjoy your evening

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

357Posts Today

4,824Users online

Martin's Twitter