Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Sarah
    • By MSE Sarah 15th May 18, 7:38 PM
    • 158Posts
    • 77Thanks
    MSE Sarah
    Money Moral Dilemma: Should I ask my boss to pay up for carpooling?
    • 15th May 18, 7:38 PM
    Money Moral Dilemma: Should I ask my boss to pay up for carpooling? 15th May 18 at 7:38 PM
    This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...

My boss (who doesn't drive) often asks me for a lift to work. It only adds a few miles to my journey but the cost over a year is a fair bit. He obviously earns a lot more than me and has never offered to contribute to fuel costs. Should I risk asking him?

Unfortunately the MSE team can't always answer money moral dilemma questions as contributions are often emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be enjoyed as a point of debate and discussed at face value.

If you havenít already, join the forum to reply!

Got a money moral dilemma of your own? Suggest an MMD.

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Grab the latest MSE Deals
    Follow the Deals Team on Twitter: @MSE_Deals
    Get Martin's Money Tips
    Join the MSE Forum
Page 1
    • Takeaway_Addict
    • By Takeaway_Addict 15th May 18, 7:59 PM
    • 5,899 Posts
    • 6,856 Thanks
    Takeaway_Addict
    • 15th May 18, 7:59 PM
    • 15th May 18, 7:59 PM
    Yes.

The end.
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 15th May 18, 8:19 PM
    • 6,899 Posts
    • 14,996 Thanks
    marliepanda
    • 15th May 18, 8:19 PM
    • 15th May 18, 8:19 PM
    No.

The end.

Oh well I guess we!!!8217;ll never truly know.
    • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    • By ScorpiondeRooftrouser 15th May 18, 8:54 PM
    • 2,640 Posts
    • 4,183 Thanks
    ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    • 15th May 18, 8:54 PM
    • 15th May 18, 8:54 PM
    Unfortunately the MSE team can't always answer money moral dilemma questions as contributions are often emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be enjoyed....
    Originally posted by MSE Sarah
    Have you not realised yet that nobody enjoys them then?
    • sangie595
    • By sangie595 15th May 18, 9:03 PM
    • 5,653 Posts
    • 9,782 Thanks
    sangie595
    • 15th May 18, 9:03 PM
    • 15th May 18, 9:03 PM
    Have you not realised yet that nobody enjoys them then?
    Originally posted by ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    So the Forum team think that people's employment is entertainment??

That explains a lot....
    • Merlin139
    • By Merlin139 15th May 18, 9:42 PM
    • 5,336 Posts
    • 20,772 Thanks
    Merlin139
    • 15th May 18, 9:42 PM
    • 15th May 18, 9:42 PM
    If this was a real situation and you had never bothered to say anything before then you should not be bothering now.

On the other hand as soon as it became more than a couple of times I would have said it will cost you 45p a mile! Take it or leave it!
    • stampychan
    • By stampychan 16th May 18, 1:24 AM
    • 32 Posts
    • 50 Thanks
    stampychan
    • 16th May 18, 1:24 AM
    Hereís a money saving tip for you...
    • 16th May 18, 1:24 AM
    Save money on your electricity bill by not replying to MSE Moral Dilemmas just to complain about the dilemma or kick off about some backroom drama or beef you have with the MSE team. If you donít like it, stop reading. Save your energy.

OP: I think you should ask. If your boss is reasonable, theyíll chip in.
    • CaptainLuke$$
    • By CaptainLuke$$ 16th May 18, 8:49 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    CaptainLuke$$
    • 16th May 18, 8:49 AM
    • 16th May 18, 8:49 AM
    I was in a similar situation a few years ago - I lived in Leeds but our office was in Bradford. A new person joined the company (I was a junior and she was a senior) and happened to live near me. I was asked if I could give her a lift into work and I obliged, not asking for any money, It only added a few miles to my trip, but after the first couple of weeks, when it became apparent that it was going to be a "free ride" and nothing had been offered, I asked her to contribute to the journey - at the equivalent cost of £2 a day for a return trip (this was less than one train fare that would have only got her part of the way. My petrol bill at the time was around £30-£40 a week, so I felt it was a fair amount. I was told that "I was going that way anyway and so it wasn't costing me anything" - forgetting the obvious costs of purchasing MY car, paying for insurance, maintenance, road tax. In addition, the public transport route would take around 60-90 minutes vs a 30 minute car journey. Yes, the additional cost of taking her was a negligible increase in fuel, but the benefit she received (5-10 hours of commuting saved for less than the cost of public transport) outweighed this cost massively in her favour.

I stuck to my guns and she backed down. If she had offered me something (e.g a fiver) towards the journey, I would have probably told her not to worry and done it for free. The thing that got me was that it was expected that I would do it for free and because I had a car, apparently I could afford it.
    • Giraffe76
    • By Giraffe76 16th May 18, 9:27 AM
    • 42 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Giraffe76
    • 16th May 18, 9:27 AM
    absolutely ask
    • 16th May 18, 9:27 AM
    Hi,

First of all im sorry to hear you are in this situation as i think its a terrible position to find yourself in.

I would just politely ask your boss for A weekly money payment explaining about the maintenance costs, tax, mot and rising weekly fuel costs and say you are on a budget and are struggling.

If they are a decent and understanding person then they will be ok with this..if not they will look for another means of getting to work

Hope this helps
    kind regards Mark
    • scd3scd4
    • By scd3scd4 16th May 18, 9:34 AM
    • 993 Posts
    • 891 Thanks
    scd3scd4
    I use to get a lift for a year or so a long way back....over 20 years. The wife used the car and running two was expensive.

I worked out what the daily petrol bill was and offered half. I just put the money in the not used ash tray once a week and said....thank you very much. I was always early so he did not have to wait. We worked together and he was going passed where I lived............so what. He was doing me a big favour and I was grateful.

I still remember him, he was a quietly spoken lovely man named Harry.................and after a while I started to enjoy the Asian music he played for the 35 minute journey. ;-]
    • coloquil
    • By coloquil 16th May 18, 9:50 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    coloquil
    tight
    hi,
    yes you should ask but the reply will probably annoy you i used to drive my line manager from dover to Ramsgate and go about 6 miles out of my way and he thought just because i had the firms van it was my right, baloney mind you he was scotch lol
    • scd3scd4
    • By scd3scd4 16th May 18, 9:51 AM
    • 993 Posts
    • 891 Thanks
    scd3scd4
    I was in a similar situation a few years ago - I lived in Leeds but our office was in Bradford. A new person joined the company (I was a junior and she was a senior) and happened to live near me. I was asked if I could give her a lift into work and I obliged, not asking for any money, It only added a few miles to my trip, but after the first couple of weeks, when it became apparent that it was going to be a "free ride" and nothing had been offered, I asked her to contribute to the journey - at the equivalent cost of £2 a day for a return trip (this was less than one train fare that would have only got her part of the way. My petrol bill at the time was around £30-£40 a week, so I felt it was a fair amount. I was told that "I was going that way anyway and so it wasn't costing me anything" - forgetting the obvious costs of purchasing MY car, paying for insurance, maintenance, road tax. In addition, the public transport route would take around 60-90 minutes vs a 30 minute car journey. Yes, the additional cost of taking her was a negligible increase in fuel, but the benefit she received (5-10 hours of commuting saved for less than the cost of public transport) outweighed this cost massively in her favour.

I stuck to my guns and she backed down. If she had offered me something (e.g a fiver) towards the journey, I would have probably told her not to worry and done it for free. The thing that got me was that it was expected that I would do it for free and because I had a car, apparently I could afford it.
    Originally posted by CaptainLuke$$

To be honest I would not let a person do it for free for me and that's for a selfish reason. It you contribute, the person is less likely to one day say they don't want to do it anymore or they don't go that way anymore..........something my old dad you to say regards always treating people for little jobs and help they give you.
    • scd3scd4
    • By scd3scd4 16th May 18, 9:58 AM
    • 993 Posts
    • 891 Thanks
    scd3scd4
    hi,
    yes you should ask but the reply will probably annoy you i used to drive my line manager from dover to Ramsgate and go about 6 miles out of my way and he thought just because i had the firms van it was my right, baloney mind you he was scotch lol
    Originally posted by coloquil

What happens about your time??

Did the company pay for the petrol??

I would have told him to do one.

I use to give a lift at my current job but on another plant. Its was only an extra 5-7 minutes and cost little in fuel. But I had a rule as we were in different departments. He was a chemist and I in the refinery with different reliefs. I expected him to be by my car so I did not have to wait. I did not charge him but he would get me a little thank you at xmas.
    • tallgirld
    • By tallgirld 16th May 18, 10:10 AM
    • 476 Posts
    • 317 Thanks
    tallgirld
    The next time they ask just say "Yes I can pick you up but from now on it will cost you for each journey as I'm going out of my way plus petrol and all that" If they are not happy with that stop giving them a lift!
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 16th May 18, 10:24 AM
    • 8,406 Posts
    • 29,531 Thanks
    Primrose
    Quite apart from the financial aspect, there's an issue here about possible abuse of a more senior employee exerting undue influence over a more junior employee during what is officially "out of office" hours. It obviously puts the more junior employee in a very difficult situation if it's something they would rather not have to do, for whatever reason.
    • Ashagill
    • By Ashagill 16th May 18, 10:28 AM
    • 48 Posts
    • 50 Thanks
    Ashagill
    *Ignoring all the moaners.*

If it is literally on your way I donít think it would be right to ask for money if itís what youíd be doing whether they are there or not.
    If itís quite out of your way, I would probably say next time they asked - ďoh I was going to go a different way because I need to pick up some petrolĒ
    And hope that would be enough to give a hint.

Iíve been in the same position where you offer a lift once or twice and then people come to expect it or donít say ďthank youĒ. And thatís where I have a problem. In these cases I gently remind them (like with the petrol line, not directly) that itís not something to expect.

My worry with this situation is that if anything goes weird at work, the lifts will be automatically awkward.

My boss at my first job working in a pharmacy used to give me lifts as she went past a road that lead to my house, meaning I didnít have to pay for the bus and could walk. It was literally the same road she was driving along.
    But one day I was late to work (once! In 2 years!) and she was furious and took away some overtime and gave me really menial jobs from then on. I felt she over reacted, and knew it would be really uncomfortable in the car outside of the work place so I declined the lifts from then on. (And found a new job quite soon after).
    • JayD
    • By JayD 16th May 18, 10:40 AM
    • 517 Posts
    • 326 Thanks
    JayD
    To the moaners on here ...
    Might it not be better for you to fill up another forum with your discussions about the validity/entertainment value/possible fallacy of Moral Money Dilemmas?

Some readers are interested in them - regardless of above propositions - and enjoy reading contributions and writing their own. So please

GIVE IT A REST!!!!!!
    • JayD
    • By JayD 16th May 18, 10:41 AM
    • 517 Posts
    • 326 Thanks
    JayD
    To the Dilemma:

Difficult but maybe you could suggest a pay rise, to cover the increasing cost of petrol, car insurance and car maintenance that his employees face ...
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 16th May 18, 10:43 AM
    • 30,049 Posts
    • 77,179 Thanks
    Mojisola
    If it is literally on your way I donít think it would be right to ask for money if itís what youíd be doing whether they are there or not.
    Originally posted by Ashagill
    But if the boss wasn't getting a lift, she/he would have to pay out for a car or public transport or a taxi - anyone decent would offer something towards to the ongoing costs.
    • sclare
    • By sclare 16th May 18, 11:18 AM
    • 23 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    sclare
    How often is "often", and how many miles are "a few"
    Rather than ask for money, I'd just stop being available. Maybe your route is changing, maybe you regularly have something to do/someone to visit on the way so can't pick him up.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,599Posts Today

8,970Users online

Martin's Twitter