Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Citygirl1
    • By Citygirl1 14th May 18, 10:34 PM
    • 924Posts
    • 561Thanks
    Citygirl1
    Simple ways to cook chicken and fish
    • 14th May 18, 10:34 PM
    Simple ways to cook chicken and fish 14th May 18 at 10:34 PM
    Hi, my main meals are based on chicken and fish. I also like mince and have started to make a lasagne which I freeze in portions and have one each weekend as opposed to the ready made ones I used to buy.

However, during the week I tend to eat more fish and chicken but am stumped on ideas. I work full time, live alone, so don't want any complicated recipes, it has to be quick and easy. I am paranoid about chicken being undercooked. Fish cooks pretty quickly but I never feel full when I've eaten it. I usually do chicken in the slow cooker because then I know its well done when I get home.

Any ideas on how can I make the meals more interesting?
Page 1
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 14th May 18, 11:26 PM
    • 11,176 Posts
    • 29,861 Thanks
    suki1964
    • 14th May 18, 11:26 PM
    • 14th May 18, 11:26 PM
    if you like chicken fillets but are scared about grilling them or frying them, butterfly them and use a rolling pin to flatten them out till the same thickness. You can bash into them herbs and spices to jazz them up or breadcrumb them to ring in the changes

Jamie Oliver does some lovely 15 or 30 minute meals using fish and chicken. Use them for inspiration ( I do) You don't have to follow every recipe to a tee, but let it give you ideas

How quick do you want a meal in front of you? I usually spend 30 mins in the kitchen weekdays, even if Im doing a roast, 30 mins prep is all thats needed max. I find something else to do whilst its cooking, I don't need to watch it cook
    if you lend someone 20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • Wicked Lady
    • By Wicked Lady 14th May 18, 11:27 PM
    • 171 Posts
    • 1,795 Thanks
    Wicked Lady
    • 14th May 18, 11:27 PM
    • 14th May 18, 11:27 PM
    I often use sweet chilli sauce so would put some on a piece of salmon, wrap it in foil and oven bake whilst also cooking some roasted vegetables, such as peppers, courgettes, red onion.
    The same can be done with chicken, which would be sliced thinner to cook more quickly.

Stir fries are quick and easy for chicken dishes.

Do you eat eggs, as in omelettes, as they could be a quick and easy meal for you?

I'm sure others will come along soon with far better ideas.
    • JIL
    • By JIL 15th May 18, 12:43 AM
    • 3,072 Posts
    • 20,318 Thanks
    JIL
    • 15th May 18, 12:43 AM
    • 15th May 18, 12:43 AM
    What about a tray of roasted veg such as peppers, onions, courgettes, new potatoes, herbs a little oil and a chicken breast/thigh all roasted in the tin together. Stuff some goats cheese in the chicken, wrap in bacon and bake.
    Chicken curry, piri piri chicken.

With fish I slice up some cherry tomatoes, put in an oven proof dish, put fish fillet on top, top with breadcrumbs mixed with feta cheese, herbs and a little olive oil and lemon. Bake until it's cooked.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 15th May 18, 7:08 AM
    • 20,322 Posts
    • 54,566 Thanks
    Pollycat
    • 15th May 18, 7:08 AM
    • 15th May 18, 7:08 AM
    Hi, my main meals are based on chicken and fish. I also like mince and have started to make a lasagne which I freeze in portions and have one each weekend as opposed to the ready made ones I used to buy.

However, during the week I tend to eat more fish and chicken but am stumped on ideas. I work full time, live alone, so don't want any complicated recipes, it has to be quick and easy. I am paranoid about chicken being undercooked. Fish cooks pretty quickly but I never feel full when I've eaten it. I usually do chicken in the slow cooker because then I know its well done when I get home.

Any ideas on how can I make the meals more interesting?
    Originally posted by Citygirl1
    What else do you serve with the fish?
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 15th May 18, 8:00 AM
    • 19,493 Posts
    • 45,197 Thanks
    peachyprice
    • 15th May 18, 8:00 AM
    • 15th May 18, 8:00 AM
    Last night I had chicken in pitta bread with cucumber and tomatoes. it took 10 mins max to cut the chicken into strips, toss it in some seasoning (I used salt, pepper, garlic granules but any herbs or spices you fancy will do) and cook it. While the chicken was sizzling in the pan I toasted the pitta, chopped the toms & cue, put it in the cut in half pitta, shoved in some mayo, put the chicken on top, all done and delicious.

Another quick favourite is stir fry. Chop up some veg and thin strips of chicken again, toss in pan until veg and chicken is cooked, throw in noodles for a few mins. You can add all sorts of spices to vary the flavour of the stir fry.

It's really, really hard to undercook small strips of chicken.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • buildersdaughter
    • By buildersdaughter 15th May 18, 3:36 PM
    • 170 Posts
    • 448 Thanks
    buildersdaughter
    • 15th May 18, 3:36 PM
    • 15th May 18, 3:36 PM
    Chicken thighs are cheaper than breast & I think tastier, although they do take a bit longer to cook.
    Basic meal:
    Any bread, or jacket (or boiled new) potatoes - do 'wedges' if the oven is on
    Salads of any kind, or roast veg
    meat / fish / tofu - rubs / marinades- look up a few recipes and try your own
    dressing - oil & lemon, mayo, chilli sauce, or try your own.
    • bouicca21
    • By bouicca21 15th May 18, 5:36 PM
    • 3,721 Posts
    • 5,671 Thanks
    bouicca21
    • 15th May 18, 5:36 PM
    • 15th May 18, 5:36 PM
    If the possibility of undercooked chicken bothers you, why not get a cooking thermometer?
    • buildersdaughter
    • By buildersdaughter 16th May 18, 7:57 AM
    • 170 Posts
    • 448 Thanks
    buildersdaughter
    • 16th May 18, 7:57 AM
    • 16th May 18, 7:57 AM
    I use a meat thermometer a lot
    • wort
    • By wort 16th May 18, 10:34 AM
    • 781 Posts
    • 10,248 Thanks
    wort
    Try to prep meals at the weekend , there's loads of videos on u tube etc.
    If chicken is chopped either in cubes or strips it's easy to fry, add seasoning or curry sauce , pasta sauce can be eaten with potatoes or chips or rice for a change from pasta, to check chicken is cooked lift a thick piece out of pan an cut through to check it's not pink.
    Fish will cook in a couple of mins in microwave, if you cook extra veg on Sunday, they can be cooled quick and kept in fridge or freezer for reheating on week days.
    Also fish wrapped in foil can be steamed in the pan with your potato and veg, I pinched that tip from cooking for 1 thread!!! Just place the foil parcel on top of the cooking veg. Put lid on , done.
    Pesto red or green is great for livening up both chicken and fish. Or stirring through potatoes.
    Smoked paprika, or fajita seasoning is lovely on chicken.
    Hairy bikers do a lovely paprika chicken, with tinned tomato .
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
    • wort
    • By wort 16th May 18, 10:38 AM
    • 781 Posts
    • 10,248 Thanks
    wort
    Aldi do some hot smoked salmon fillets, some different flavours, lime and chilli, and black pepper some need cooking others can be eaten hot or cold, I use these and they're lovely with pots and veg a bit of sauce on the side tartare usually. But I also flake them through pasta lovely!
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
    • FrugalAndFabulous
    • By FrugalAndFabulous 17th May 18, 11:15 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 81 Thanks
    FrugalAndFabulous
    I make this a lot. Quick easy and uses all store cupboard ingredients

http://www.slimmingworld.ie/recipes/sticky-chicken.aspx
    • FrugalAndFabulous
    • By FrugalAndFabulous 17th May 18, 11:18 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 81 Thanks
    FrugalAndFabulous
    Also an airfryer might help you? Once you use it once you'll trust how long it takes to cook something and then you'll be able to set the timer and know it's cooked. I put salmon darnes in mine for 12 minutes for example and they're always perfect and chicken fillets for 20 minutes
    • Debran
    • By Debran 18th May 18, 8:16 PM
    • 150 Posts
    • 154 Thanks
    Debran
    Simplified version of Chicken Chasseur
    Buy one of those Chicken Chasseur sachets made by Schwartz or Colmans. Put a layer of chopped onions (raw) in the base of your slow cooker (I use frozen diced onion), add four raw chicken breasts. Add about six ounces of sliced mushrooms, mix together 250 ml of cold water with a tablespoonful of tomato puree plus the contents of the sachet and add to your slow cooker. I run my slow cooker on the low setting for about six hours but you may wish to vary this according to what type of slow cooker you own.
    Eat one portion and freeze the three other portions.
    • glider3560
    • By glider3560 18th May 18, 8:59 PM
    • 3,609 Posts
    • 2,289 Thanks
    glider3560
    I recently made a spaghetti bolognese with chicken breast fillets instead of mince, padded out with diced peppers. It was surprisingly nice and didn't take too long to prepare (I also work full time, have a long commute and live alone so know the feeling).

There's all sorts of cooking sauces (curries, tomato, chinese and various other things) for around the 65p to 85p mark in the supermarkets. Not as cheap or healthy as making from scratch, but useful for a quick tasty meal in the evenings that's healthier than a takeaway. Just cut up some chicken and throw them into the sauce, heat up then simmer for about 20 minutes until the chicken is cooked.

• elsien
    • By elsien 18th May 18, 9:04 PM
    • 16,731 Posts
    • 42,204 Thanks
    elsien
    With chicken, try stir fry or fajitas. The chicken is cut into strips so cooks more quickly and is easy to check, and both are really quick and easy meals.

Spanish chicken is easy in the slow cooker and uses store cupboard ingredients.
    http://www.waitrose.com/home/recipes/recipe_directory/s/spanish_chicken_with_chick_peas.html
    You can chuck in things like chorizo or carrots if you want to make it more interesting and it really is throw it all in and let it cook. I do mine with rice but you could put potatoes in as well if you want it ready to eat when you get home. And, as always, you can do extra and freeze it.
    Last edited by elsien; 18-05-2018 at 9:10 PM.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • Citygirl1
    • By Citygirl1 20th May 18, 5:01 PM
    • 924 Posts
    • 561 Thanks
    Citygirl1
    Thanks for all your replies. I will take these ideas on board. Sometimes I just find buying ready cooked chicken or breaded fish and chicken easier but are they healthy does anyone know or is it best to buy fresh?
    • maman
    • By maman 20th May 18, 5:43 PM
    • 18,056 Posts
    • 108,058 Thanks
    maman
    Thanks for all your replies. I will take these ideas on board. Sometimes I just find buying ready cooked chicken or breaded fish and chicken easier but are they healthy does anyone know or is it best to buy fresh?

If it's just fish or chicken with nothing added then it's probably as healthy as buying fresh. It's probably also more time saving to have something ready in the freezer and often more mse too as if you keep popping into shops to buy fresh stuff there can be the temptation to buy other things or pay inflated prices in small local shops.

When you start introducing breadcrumbs or worse still batter then the fish becomes less healthy. It's the same with chicken whether it's breaded or battered goujons or a ready meal with loads of cheese on top then it's less healthy than just baked plain fish.

It's not that you should never eat cheese or breadcrumbs or whatever but it's that sort of thing that you need to control with healthy eating IMO.
    • Citygirl1
    • By Citygirl1 20th May 18, 6:54 PM
    • 924 Posts
    • 561 Thanks
    Citygirl1
    If it's just fish or chicken with nothing added then it's probably as healthy as buying fresh. It's probably also more time saving to have something ready in the freezer and often more mse too as if you keep popping into shops to buy fresh stuff there can be the temptation to buy other things or pay inflated prices in small local shops.

When you start introducing breadcrumbs or worse still batter then the fish becomes less healthy. It's the same with chicken whether it's breaded or battered goujons or a ready meal with loads of cheese on top then it's less healthy than just baked plain fish.

It's not that you should never eat cheese or breadcrumbs or whatever but it's that sort of thing that you need to control with healthy eating IMO.
    Originally posted by maman
    Yes I do mean breaded fish and chicken or ready cooked chicken but moreso breaded. I do put fresh chicken thighs in the freezer but then they need defrosting and I sometimes forget.
    • maman
    • By maman 20th May 18, 8:37 PM
    • 18,056 Posts
    • 108,058 Thanks
    maman
    Yes I do mean breaded fish and chicken or ready cooked chicken but moreso breaded. I do put fresh chicken thighs in the freezer but then they need defrosting and I sometimes forget.

Breadcrumbs aren't too unhealthy provided you have plenty of vegetables or salad with your meal. You can also buy frozen fish that doesn't have breadcrumbs like some of the BirdsEye Inspirations in tasty sauces.

Ready cooked chicken is fine but try not to eat any skin because that's where the extra fat is.

You can buy plain fish that can be microwaved/oven cooked straight from frozen.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,186Posts Today

8,672Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: Worried about your finances? Want tips and tricks for getting the best money-saving deals? Whatever your money matter, @Ma?

• Morning. I'm on my way to @thismorning first to talk about how to get the most buck (or euros) for your money with? https://t.co/OXkQDilixy

• Early days but if we weight this vote to the referendum proportions (48:52) then 57% of people currently want secon? https://t.co/zct2KOUWRf

• Follow Martin