Want to get out of self assessment and current tax code

Options
Hi

I am employed but for the last few years I have completed a self assessment to claim tax back for the business miles I do in my personal car as my employer pays me reduced mileage rate.

I am currently on tax code 1432L

I have just partially completed my self assessment for 2017/2018 and it advises I owe £79, this isn't a problem however really I would prefer my tax code to be changed to lower to account for overpayment. I can't find on the self assessment form if this is an option and have been cut off twice by HMRC.

From next month I change jobs and don't need to claim for tax from mileage - is there a way to get tax code put back down to standard rate 1185 as I don't want to go through the full year on higher allowance then be stung next year when it is put right. This is one reason why would like self assessment underpayment adjusted via tax code.

In reality I wish I hadn't ever started doing the tax claiming thing and just taken a hit and stayed on standard rate as it is not worth the hassle.

Any suggestions would be great as HMRC website not clear and phones just cut you off

Thanks

Comments

• sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,131 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    to have an underpayment coded out in the following year you need to submit your paper tax return by 31 October or your online tax return online by 30 December and tick the box in the return requesting it.

If you have an extra allowance on your coding for business mileage you can notify HMRC when you have changed jobs and give them details of your mileage claim up to the date of leaving. HMRC can then amend your code number as necessary.

Until HMRC notify him of any new code nuMber he will need to operate the one on your P45.
  • choccielover
    choccielover Posts: 412 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think if you look at your tax code online you can inform them of changes there.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure