Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • tilly78
    • By tilly78 14th May 18, 5:25 PM
    • 83Posts
    • 7Thanks
    Want to get out of self assessment and current tax code
    • #1
    • 14th May 18, 5:25 PM
    Want to get out of self assessment and current tax code 14th May 18 at 5:25 PM

    I am employed but for the last few years I have completed a self assessment to claim tax back for the business miles I do in my personal car as my employer pays me reduced mileage rate.

    I am currently on tax code 1432L

    I have just partially completed my self assessment for 2017/2018 and it advises I owe 79, this isn't a problem however really I would prefer my tax code to be changed to lower to account for overpayment. I can't find on the self assessment form if this is an option and have been cut off twice by HMRC.

    From next month I change jobs and don't need to claim for tax from mileage - is there a way to get tax code put back down to standard rate 1185 as I don't want to go through the full year on higher allowance then be stung next year when it is put right. This is one reason why would like self assessment underpayment adjusted via tax code.

    In reality I wish I hadn't ever started doing the tax claiming thing and just taken a hit and stayed on standard rate as it is not worth the hassle.

    Any suggestions would be great as HMRC website not clear and phones just cut you off

Page 1
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 14th May 18, 7:15 PM
    • 5,981 Posts
    • 4,512 Thanks
    • #2
    • 14th May 18, 7:15 PM
    • #2
    • 14th May 18, 7:15 PM
    to have an underpayment coded out in the following year you need to submit your paper tax return by 31 October or your online tax return online by 30 December and tick the box in the return requesting it.

    If you have an extra allowance on your coding for business mileage you can notify HMRC when you have changed jobs and give them details of your mileage claim up to the date of leaving. HMRC can then amend your code number as necessary.

    Until HMRC notify him of any new code nuMber he will need to operate the one on your P45.
    • choccielover
    • By choccielover 14th May 18, 10:37 PM
    • 400 Posts
    • 1,367 Thanks
    • #3
    • 14th May 18, 10:37 PM
    • #3
    • 14th May 18, 10:37 PM
    I think if you look at your tax code online you can inform them of changes there.
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 14th May 18, 10:58 PM
    • 28,903 Posts
    • 17,506 Thanks
    • #4
    • 14th May 18, 10:58 PM
    • #4
    • 14th May 18, 10:58 PM
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,299Posts Today

6,079Users online

Martin's Twitter