Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pipkin71
    • By pipkin71 14th May 18, 5:19 PM
    • 19,360Posts
    • 87,170Thanks
    pipkin71
    Do you have a question...
    • 14th May 18, 5:19 PM
    Do you have a question... 14th May 18 at 5:19 PM
    that you would like to know the answer to, but never thought to ask?

Perhaps someone on MSE can assist

My question is: it is illegal to use a mobile phone while driving, for obvious reasons but on a few police programmes I've watched, a police officer driving, will use the walkie talkie attached to their uniform.

What's the difference between that and a mobile phone?

Interested in the answer, if anyone has one and any other questions that might crop up
    There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you - Beatrix Potter
Page 1
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 14th May 18, 5:41 PM
    • 9,201 Posts
    • 9,598 Thanks
    pogofish
    • 14th May 18, 5:41 PM
    • 14th May 18, 5:41 PM
    The answer to this has already been amply dealt with in the appropriate forum.

Surely there is no need to ask it here again..?

Personally, I'm far more puzzled why people persistently post forum-specific questions on general boards like this..?
    Last edited by pogofish; 14-05-2018 at 5:45 PM.
    • pipkin71
    • By pipkin71 14th May 18, 5:49 PM
    • 19,360 Posts
    • 87,170 Thanks
    pipkin71
    • 14th May 18, 5:49 PM
    • 14th May 18, 5:49 PM
    The answer to this has already been amply dealt with in the appropriate forum.

Surely there is no need to ask it here again..?

Personally, I'm far more puzzled why people persistently post forum-specific questions on general boards like this..?
    Originally posted by pogofish

Has it?

The answer to your question is because people tend to post on certain boards rather than searching the forum, plus, my question wasn't forum specific per se, just something I was mildly interested in
    There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you - Beatrix Potter
    • Tigsteroonie
    • By Tigsteroonie 14th May 18, 6:21 PM
    • 22,988 Posts
    • 57,639 Thanks
    Tigsteroonie
    • 14th May 18, 6:21 PM
    • 14th May 18, 6:21 PM
    My question is, why do people drive impatiently, overtaking cars already travelling at the speed limit, pushing their way across to a motorway exit at the last moment ... when all they gain is a couple of seconds off their journey? What in their life is so urgent that they need to shave those few seconds off their arrival time?
    Mrs Marleyboy

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

Proud Parents to an Au-some son
    • Topcat123
    • By Topcat123 14th May 18, 6:29 PM
    • 820 Posts
    • 512 Thanks
    Topcat123
    • 14th May 18, 6:29 PM
    • 14th May 18, 6:29 PM
    The answer is police and drive dangerously and get away with it.

It is wrong, they should abide by the law they enforce.

How many calls are to save a young life, say maybe a 3 year old girl for example?

Virtually none.

And how many have they killed driving whilst of the walkie talkie,

A total of 28 people died during police pursuits in 2016/17

The police must obey the laws others have to obey, even in "emergencies".
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 14th May 18, 6:34 PM
    • 5,255 Posts
    • 17,697 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    • 14th May 18, 6:34 PM
    • 14th May 18, 6:34 PM
    At what point does a black & white cat become a white & black cat?

I have never heard the term used but see plenty of white & black cats.
    Every man is innocent until proven broke.
    Cryin won't help you, prayin won't do you no good.

Keep Moving in 2018 Challenge - Target 3333 miles
    This week - 90.2
    Total so far - 3805.4
    • pipkin71
    • By pipkin71 14th May 18, 6:35 PM
    • 19,360 Posts
    • 87,170 Thanks
    pipkin71
    • 14th May 18, 6:35 PM
    • 14th May 18, 6:35 PM
    My question is, why do people drive impatiently, overtaking cars already travelling at the speed limit, pushing their way across to a motorway exit at the last moment ... when all they gain is a couple of seconds off their journey? What in their life is so urgent that they need to shave those few seconds off their arrival time?
    Originally posted by Tigsteroonie
    Madness, isn't it. So many people always seem to be in a rush these days. I prefer more of a snail's pace in life
    • pipkin71
    • By pipkin71 14th May 18, 6:37 PM
    • 19,360 Posts
    • 87,170 Thanks
    pipkin71
    • 14th May 18, 6:37 PM
    • 14th May 18, 6:37 PM
    At what point does a black & white cat become a white & black cat?

I have never heard the term used but see plenty of white & black cats.
    Originally posted by Wizard of Id
    When they have more white than black? Girl doggie is a white and black JRT but I would use back and white

P.S. how is doggie now? Has the cream helped?
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 14th May 18, 6:39 PM
    • 5,255 Posts
    • 17,697 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    • 14th May 18, 6:39 PM
    • 14th May 18, 6:39 PM
    Originally posted by Tigsteroonie
    I saw a car driving at 51 mph on the street camera in a 20 zone at 7am this morning, what makes them think the 20 zone is only for when the school run is on

This week - 90.2
    Total so far - 3805.4
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 14th May 18, 6:41 PM
    • 5,255 Posts
    • 17,697 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    When they have more white than black? Girl doggie is a white and black JRT but I would use back and white

P.S. how is doggie now? Has the cream helped?
    Originally posted by pipkin71
    That's just it, they are still called Black & white no matter how much more white than black there is.

He is still licking at it when he thinks I'm not looking and gets very sheepish when I tell him off but the sore is definitely healing, see the vet again tomorrow afternoon.

This week - 90.2
    Total so far - 3805.4
    • pipkin71
    • By pipkin71 14th May 18, 6:43 PM
    • 19,360 Posts
    • 87,170 Thanks
    pipkin71
    That's just it, they are still called Black & white no matter how much more white than black there is.

He is still licking at it when he thinks I'm not looking and gets very sheepish when I tell him off but the sore is definitely healing, see the vet again tomorrow afternoon.
    That's good

Maybe it's to do with where the first letters come alphabetically? B before W so black and white?
    • Sleazy
    • By Sleazy 14th May 18, 7:16 PM
    • 13,245 Posts
    • 24,638 Thanks
    Sleazy
    That's good

Maybe it's to do with where the first letters come alphabetically? B before W so black and white?
    Like the whisky

(P)earl Of The Alphabetty
    Nabob Of None
    • ceredigion
    • By ceredigion 14th May 18, 7:20 PM
    • 3,012 Posts
    • 4,134 Thanks
    ceredigion
    Question.
    If inflation takes hold, the bank of England will increase the base rate to take money out of the economy. Why is that act not considered inflationary.
    • Sleazy
    • By Sleazy 14th May 18, 7:24 PM
    • 13,245 Posts
    • 24,638 Thanks
    Sleazy
    My question is (and any perceived racial connotations are not intended):

Why do immigrants (both from within the EU and elsewhere) seem to move up the ladder for social housing faster than natives born here?
    Nabob Of None
    • pipkin71
    • By pipkin71 14th May 18, 7:36 PM
    • 19,360 Posts
    • 87,170 Thanks
    pipkin71
    My question is (and any perceived racial connotations are not intended):

Why do immigrants (both from within the EU and elsewhere) seem to move up the ladder for social housing faster than natives born here?
    Originally posted by Sleazy
    Does it depend if they are immigrants or refugees? Refugees tend to be housed pretty quick, given the circumstances surrounding arrival
    • Sleazy
    • By Sleazy 14th May 18, 7:42 PM
    • 13,245 Posts
    • 24,638 Thanks
    Sleazy
    Does it depend if they are immigrants or refugees? Refugees tend to be housed pretty quick, given the circumstances surrounding arrival
    We know a couple of families (from within the EU and economic migrants rather than refugees, with at least one working in each family) that seemed to get social housing pretty quickly compared to the reports like I was reading today of couples from here waiting many years ... could be many reasons I'm sure ...
    Nabob Of None
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 14th May 18, 7:50 PM
    • 5,255 Posts
    • 17,697 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    We know a couple of families (from within the EU and economic migrants rather than refugees, with at least one working in each family) that seemed to get social housing pretty quickly compared to the reports like I was reading today of couples from here waiting many years ... could be many reasons I'm sure ...
    Originally posted by Sleazy
    There's your answer

Could just be that the housing dept see them as a better bet than the families that don't work

This week - 90.2
    Total so far - 3805.4
    • pipkin71
    • By pipkin71 14th May 18, 7:54 PM
    • 19,360 Posts
    • 87,170 Thanks
    pipkin71
    Or families take priority over couples, due to the children?
    • tommix
    • By tommix 14th May 18, 7:59 PM
    • 37,680 Posts
    • 147,997 Thanks
    tommix
    Can you daydream at night?
    • Murphybear
    • By Murphybear 14th May 18, 8:09 PM
    • 4,180 Posts
    • 8,192 Thanks
    Murphybear

Our hairy beast is cow patterned, lot more white than black. When she sits on something dark she sheds white fur. When she sits on something light she sheds black fur.

Why?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,546Posts Today

5,892Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The responses to this thread are no question the best of british! https://t.co/jv5Q2ErQQC

• RT @SMinihane87: @MartinSLewis After she received the title she addressed it in literally the first episode of the next season of the appre?

• RT @WhichUK: ??CHRISTMAS WARNING TO PARENTS?? Don't buy any of these slimes for your kids ? they all contain potentially unsafe levels of?

• Follow Martin