Overtime not paid

Options
Barneysmom
Barneysmom Posts: 10,123 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Recently I was sent to Europe for two weeks on a training course, where I worked from
08.00 - 18.45 Mon-Sat for the first week, (58.5 hours worked)
08.00 - 18.45 Mon-Fri for the second week. (48.75 hours worked)
(hour for lunch)

107.25 hours over two weeks.

My usual working week is 37.5 hours.

I never got a penny overtime, surely this isn't right?

Comments

• Brynsam
    Brynsam Posts: 3,643 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    What do your terms of employment say? Overtime is only payable if you are contractually entitled to it, or it has specificially been agreed on a particular occasion.
  • Barneysmom
    Options
    Usually anything over my normal hours is paid overtime.
  • sjbrun
    sjbrun Posts: 470 Forumite
    Options
    What did they say when you asked them? Did they say it was a mistake or not?
  • Barneysmom
    Options
    I know it wasn't a mistake - but boss has gone on holiday, so I can't do anything till he gets back.
    I just need to be clear about my legal position, I feel I've been treated unfairly.
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    Options
    IF MY EMPLOYER SAYS I HAVE TO ATTEND TRAINING OUTSIDE MY NORMAL WORK HOURS, SHOULD I BE PAID FOR THIS?

https://worksmart.org.uk/work-rights/training/employer-driven-training/if-my-employer-says-i-have-attend-training-outside-my
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Any employment matters:
    Ask verbally once.
    In writing - second time.
    Thrice - Start the grievance process and or walk.
  • Barneysmom
    Options
    I agree, but after working there for 18 years and always getting paid for overtime, there seemed no reason to believe I wouldn't get paid this time.
  • 74jax
    74jax Posts: 7,923 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Barneysmom wrote: »
    I know it wasn't a mistake - but boss has gone on holiday, so I can't do anything till he gets back.
    I just need to be clear about my legal position, I feel I've been treated unfairly.

Can you not email payroll and ask if they missed they overtime form? They may be able to add it on another payroll run.

If it was me and I'd normally be paid overtime I'd just think it was an error, but you seem sure they aren't paying you deliberately.
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,306 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Barneysmom wrote: »
    Recently I was sent to Europe for two weeks on a training course, where I worked from
    08.00 - 18.45 Mon-Sat for the first week, (48 3/4 hours worked)
    08.00 - 18.45 Mon-Fri for the second week. (48.75 hours worked)
    (hour for lunch)

That doesn't add up, six days and five days being the same?

My work has a different policy for training or working away compared to normal overtime, maybe yours does too. Basically for ours a day is a day, so we could claim the Saturday as time off in lieu, but not the longer hours on weekdays. We also count travel the day before or after as work, but are expected to work on the train/flight/waiting as reasonable.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • nicechap
    nicechap Posts: 2,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 13 May 2018 at 12:14PM
    Options
    theoretica wrote: »
    That doesn't add up, six days and five days being the same?

My work has a different policy for training or working away compared to normal overtime, maybe yours does too. Basically for ours a day is a day, so we could claim the Saturday as time off in lieu, but not the longer hours on weekdays. We also count travel the day before or after as work, but are expected to work on the train/flight/waiting as reasonable.

I agree. 48.75 hours over 5 days is 9.75 hours per day and over 6 days is 8.125 hours per day but OP is suggesting 12.75 hours per day attendance.

From another thread, they appear to work for a small family company (7 people?), so presumably could easily be resolved by talking to the owners.

It s also not clear whether OP has actually submitted an overtime / time in lieu claim.
    Originally Posted by shortcrust
    "Contact the Ministry of Fairness....If sufficient evidence of unfairness is discovered you’ll get an apology, a permanent contract with backdated benefits, a ‘Let’s Make it Fair!’ tshirt and mug, and those guilty of unfairness will be sent on a Fairness Awareness course."
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure