Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dontone
    • By dontone 12th May 18, 3:33 PM
    • 4,280Posts
    • 13,756Thanks
    dontone
    The once a year Guilty Pleasure thread - IT'S EUROVISION NIGHT!!
    • 12th May 18, 3:33 PM
    The once a year Guilty Pleasure thread - IT'S EUROVISION NIGHT!! 12th May 18 at 3:33 PM
    I'm surprised that there isn't a Eurovision Song Contest thread popped up already on here, so I thought I'd start one.
    I've already stocked up on 'pop' and crisps, etc.
    Norton will be on mute, and Ken Bruce will be talking through my headphones.
    Anyway, I don't care who wins (think Israel has a good shout though), 'cos we don't have a snowball's of winning. But it will be interesting to see who in Europe still hasn't forgiven us for voting out, and who still hates us for just about everything else.
    See you all in a couple of hours
    BEST EVER WINS WON IN ORDER (so far) = Sony Camcorder, 32" lcd telly, micro ipod hifi, Ipod Nano, Playstation 3, Andrex Jackpup, Holiday to USA, nintendo wii, Liverpool vs Everton tickets, £250 Reward Your thirst, £500 Pepsi, p&o rotterdam trip, perfume hamper, Dr Who stamp set, steam cleaner.

comping = nowt more thrillin' than winnin'
Page 1
    • vivatifosi
    • By vivatifosi 12th May 18, 4:04 PM
    • 18,274 Posts
    • 113,429 Thanks
    vivatifosi
    • 12th May 18, 4:04 PM
    • 12th May 18, 4:04 PM
    Thanks for starting a thread dontone. It is 100% my guilty pleasure too. We've just got back from Lisbon and went to the Jury Final last night and the second semi final before.

The atmosphere out in Portugal has been fantastic and very good natured, with spontaneous singing breaking out on metro trains and people from all over walking around in the most bonkers outfits.

It's a very weird Eurovision year, with so many of the countries who are normally nailed on at the semis being knocked out already... Azerbaijan, Russia, Belarus, Poland, Greece and Belgium normally do better.

I haven't got a clue who will win, but the ones that went down a storm in the hall last night were Israel, Cyprus, Denmark and Australia.
    Please stay safe in the sun and learn the A-E of melanoma: A = asymmetry, B = irregular borders, C= different colours, D= diameter, larger than 6mm, E = evolving, is your mole changing? Most moles are not cancerous, any doubts, please check next time you visit your GP.
    • vivatifosi
    • By vivatifosi 12th May 18, 4:07 PM
    • 18,274 Posts
    • 113,429 Thanks
    vivatifosi
    • 12th May 18, 4:07 PM
    • 12th May 18, 4:07 PM
    Can I also please say that if anyone has photo sensitive epilepsy, the sheer number of strobes used on the heavy metal track from Hungary is off the scale, how they didn't blow up the Portuguese national grid is beyond me. Please take care.
    Please stay safe in the sun and learn the A-E of melanoma: A = asymmetry, B = irregular borders, C= different colours, D= diameter, larger than 6mm, E = evolving, is your mole changing? Most moles are not cancerous, any doubts, please check next time you visit your GP.
    • Callie22
    • By Callie22 12th May 18, 4:41 PM
    • 3,217 Posts
    • 8,790 Thanks
    Callie22
    • 12th May 18, 4:41 PM
    • 12th May 18, 4:41 PM
    So excited. The themed nibbles have been planned and we're all ready to settle in for great night's viewing
    • maninthestreet
    • By maninthestreet 12th May 18, 5:00 PM
    • 15,317 Posts
    • 13,871 Thanks
    maninthestreet
    • 12th May 18, 5:00 PM
    • 12th May 18, 5:00 PM
    Not heard any of the songs - which one are likely to do well?
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
    • Murphybear
    • By Murphybear 12th May 18, 5:51 PM
    • 4,044 Posts
    • 8,004 Thanks
    Murphybear
    • 12th May 18, 5:51 PM
    • 12th May 18, 5:51 PM
    OH has reluctantly agreed to watch it. Havenít got any food in specially but we went to a food fair today which was excellent but dread to think of the extra calories in all the free samples plus extras (the cheese straws made with Stilton were divine)

Iíve had a small sneaky bet, Iíll let you know if I win anything.
    • dontone
    • By dontone 12th May 18, 6:10 PM
    • 4,280 Posts
    • 13,756 Thanks
    dontone
    • 12th May 18, 6:10 PM
    • 12th May 18, 6:10 PM
    Just joined in on another forum, and it didn't go well.
    All I said was that we had no chance and Wogan always expressed (mock) outrage about block voting, etc. Daft stuff.
    And how some countries don't do as well as they should do, and the votes don't always get it the winning song right.
    I got too political & like conspiracy theories apparently, and was even directed to a sub thread I'm stunned that no one called me racist.
    So, I'm staying here tonight, - if you lot will have me.
    Some of those other forums are really full of snowflakes. What happened to the days where you could have a proper lighthearted discussion about why certain countries never give us 12 points
    BEST EVER WINS WON IN ORDER (so far) = Sony Camcorder, 32" lcd telly, micro ipod hifi, Ipod Nano, Playstation 3, Andrex Jackpup, Holiday to USA, nintendo wii, Liverpool vs Everton tickets, £250 Reward Your thirst, £500 Pepsi, p&o rotterdam trip, perfume hamper, Dr Who stamp set, steam cleaner.

• dontone
    • By dontone 12th May 18, 6:21 PM
    • 4,280 Posts
    • 13,756 Thanks
    dontone
    • 12th May 18, 6:21 PM
    • 12th May 18, 6:21 PM
    So excited. The themed nibbles have been planned and we're all ready to settle in for great night's viewing
    Originally posted by Callie22
    My themed nibbles are the compulsory Margarita (exotic) and some prawn cocktail crisps.
    I've already had some Ben & Jerry's, as the other year, I kept seeing men with coned heads, and blamed the ice cream for hallucinations.
    It turned out that the act was supposed to be like that...
    I owe Ben & Jerry an apology. I highly recommend 'Sofa So Good' flavour.

• vivatifosi
    • By vivatifosi 12th May 18, 6:29 PM
    • 18,274 Posts
    • 113,429 Thanks
    vivatifosi
    • 12th May 18, 6:29 PM
    • 12th May 18, 6:29 PM
    Not heard any of the songs - which one are likely to do well?
    Originally posted by maninthestreet
    The favourites have been all over the shop this year. It probably isn't worth a bet now. The ones I'd watch out for are:

Ukraine.. good solid show opener.
    Estonia... popera, but performed in Eurovision stylee, has to be seen as well as heard
    Norway... former winner. Same guy sang I'm in love with a fairy tale. Will he follow in Johnny Logan's footsteps?
    France... song in French about the children of the refugee crisis
    Czech Republic... one of the few songs you can imagine hearing on the radio
    Denmark... was very popular in the arena. It's very Viking
    Australia... If she sings it well, could do ok. Has gone both ways in the rounds and rehearsals.
    Finland.. represented by Saara Aalto, ex X Factor
    Moldova... a Song about a threesome, in the style of Carry On. Sid James would have loved it
    Sweden... another that you can imagine on the radio
    Hungary... heavy metal
    Israel... early favourite, channels the #metoo movement
    Netherlands... country
    Cyprus... current faves, sort of !!!!!cat Dollsish,great choreo and show, not sure about the song.

Sorry, that's more than I had meant to write about
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 12th May 18, 6:31 PM
    • 15,096 Posts
    • 20,646 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    Heavy metal? I might be tempted to watch it.

Most Eurovision songs make me want to be sick.
    ďNever argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.Ē - Mark Twain
    • vivatifosi
    • By vivatifosi 12th May 18, 6:35 PM
    • 18,274 Posts
    • 113,429 Thanks
    vivatifosi
    Just joined in on another forum, and it didn't go well.
    All I said was that we had no chance and Wogan always expressed (mock) outrage about block voting, etc. Daft stuff.
    And how some countries don't do as well as they should do, and the votes don't always get it the winning song right.
    I got too political & like conspiracy theories apparently, and was even directed to a sub thread I'm stunned that no one called me racist.
    So, I'm staying here tonight, - if you lot will have me.
    Some of those other forums are really full of snowflakes. What happened to the days where you could have a proper lighthearted discussion about why certain countries never give us 12 points
    Originally posted by dontone
    The block votes are a bit screwed tonight as a lot of the countries didn't qualify. E.g., Cyprus can't vote for Greece this year, though Greece can and will give 12 points to Cyprus.

Having said that, Portugal isn't part of a block and won last year, so it is possible. We won't win, not because people dislike us, but because we aren't very good at doing it.

If you want to talk politics though, I met a Brit last night who had tied an EU flag to a British one, but had the European flag confiscated as it made a political statement, and politics isn't allowed at Eurovision. Mad...
    Last edited by vivatifosi; 12-05-2018 at 6:39 PM.
    • dontone
    • By dontone 12th May 18, 6:42 PM
    • 4,280 Posts
    • 13,756 Thanks
    dontone
    The block votes are a bit screwed tonight as a lot of the countries didn't qualify. E.g., Cyprus can't vote for Greece this year, though Greece can and will give 12 points to Cyprus.

Having said that, Portugal isn't part of a block and won last year, so it is possible. We won't win, not because people dislike us, but because we aren't very good at doing it.
    Originally posted by vivatifosi

Our acts have been a bit pants in recent years. Even top level cheese like The Hump couldn't muster up a lot of points.
    Wogan did always have a pop at stuff though, especially the block voting, it was done lighthearted and in a fun way. So, it is a bit annoying when others get a bit touchy over something that did happen, and they take it far too serious.
    I still think that some countries, not so much dislike us, but just like to wind us up in a daft way by not giving us any points. A lot of them beat us at football, Eurovision is just another way of rubbing it in

• Jesthar
    • By Jesthar 12th May 18, 6:46 PM
    • 1,433 Posts
    • 1,596 Thanks
    Jesthar
    I'm surprised that there isn't a Eurovision Song Contest thread popped up already on here, so I thought I'd start one.
    I've already stocked up on 'pop' and crisps, etc.
    Norton will be on mute, and Ken Bruce will be talking through my headphones.
    Anyway, I don't care who wins (think Israel has a good shout though), 'cos we don't have a snowball's of winning. But it will be interesting to see who in Europe still hasn't forgiven us for voting out, and who still hates us for just about everything else.
    See you all in a couple of hours
    Originally posted by dontone
    Yay, another Ken Bruce convert! Been doing that for years Some of the descriptions he comes up with are pure gold!

I'm proud to annouce I have absolutely no idea what the UK song is this year - but, hey, that's not why we watch it, is it?
    Never underestimate the power of the techno-geek...
    • balletshoes
    • By balletshoes 12th May 18, 7:16 PM
    • 16,089 Posts
    • 41,069 Thanks
    balletshoes
    I'm here and glad to see you all !
    • balletshoes
    • By balletshoes 12th May 18, 8:01 PM
    • 16,089 Posts
    • 41,069 Thanks
    balletshoes
    I'm setting my stall out early - I love a good gimmicky Eurovision song, so I think I might be loving Israel tonight .
    • dontone
    • By dontone 12th May 18, 8:02 PM
    • 4,280 Posts
    • 13,756 Thanks
    dontone
    Yay, another Ken Bruce convert! Been doing that for years Some of the descriptions he comes up with are pure gold!

I'm proud to annouce I have absolutely no idea what the UK song is this year - but, hey, that's not why we watch it, is it?
    Originally posted by Jesthar
    He's on good form already

• dontone
    • By dontone 12th May 18, 8:06 PM
    • 4,280 Posts
    • 13,756 Thanks
    dontone
    Don't reckon much to this.
    I'm through half a glass of margarita already.

• balletshoes
    • By balletshoes 12th May 18, 8:07 PM
    • 16,089 Posts
    • 41,069 Thanks
    balletshoes
    I'm bored.
    • Mrs_Ryan
    • By Mrs_Ryan 12th May 18, 8:08 PM
    • 10,693 Posts
    • 20,294 Thanks
    Mrs_Ryan
    Evening everyone
    Just had dinner so no nibbles at the minute but I have some for later.
    Looking forward to the obligatory bonkers performance must say I am secretly glad that Azerbaijan did not get through. Still not forgiven them for beating Blue when they entered
    Very proud to be Open University BA (Hons) English Lang and Lit Graduate! MA English De Montfort Uni 2018- PASSED WITH MERIT!! Round 2 OU started 06/10- BSc Combined STEM, Year 1 E117 and W101.
    Got Engaged 02/10/2018
    Miss you JV and TW
    Elle
    • dontone
    • By dontone 12th May 18, 8:10 PM
    • 4,280 Posts
    • 13,756 Thanks
    dontone
    Just to make conversation, but I still say that the Ukraine should have won in 2007.

Carry on.

Haven't they started yet???

I hope that lad from Norway doesn't win again. We had enough in 2009 with that awful 'Fairytale' song

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,494Posts Today

9,372Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just sent a text about postgrad loans. My Swype text auto-corrected it to pothead loans. Does it know something I don't?

• Are you an overdraft prisoner? How to escape it! My new blog on ways to get rid of your overdraft... https://t.co/KbJwbWLFQI

• RT @bbc5live: .@MartinSLewis joins @annaefoster from midday to answer your money saving questions. ???? 08085 909 693 ???? 85058 Or post your q?

• Follow Martin