Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 12th May 18, 9:50 AM
    • 7,763Posts
    • 13,983Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    Toilets and the law
    • 12th May 18, 9:50 AM
    Toilets and the law 12th May 18 at 9:50 AM
    At work the ladies loos are out of order and told to use the mens. Many don’t like this as may come in the toilets with a male colleague in there.

Are there any laws about this?
Page 1
    • camelot1971
    • By camelot1971 12th May 18, 9:55 AM
    • 848 Posts
    • 1,262 Thanks
    camelot1971
    • 12th May 18, 9:55 AM
    • 12th May 18, 9:55 AM
    Why would there be? Plenty of unisex toilets exist. If you are using a cubicle what is the problem?
    • ohreally
    • By ohreally 12th May 18, 9:59 AM
    • 6,674 Posts
    • 5,200 Thanks
    ohreally
    • 12th May 18, 9:59 AM
    • 12th May 18, 9:59 AM
    This may be ok depending on impropriety. What's the arrangement?
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
    • dominqueobs
    • By dominqueobs 12th May 18, 10:06 AM
    • 14 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    dominqueobs
    • 12th May 18, 10:06 AM
    • 12th May 18, 10:06 AM
    I think they just have to have locked cubicles, but I can imagine it being annoying if you're on your period and they've not provided a bin. How long are the women's out of use for?
    • keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    • By keepcalmandstayoutofdebt 12th May 18, 10:28 AM
    • 3,283 Posts
    • 1,710 Thanks
    keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    • 12th May 18, 10:28 AM
    • 12th May 18, 10:28 AM
    Sounds like it is staff loo's...why can't you ask to use the public/customer facilities. This is what happened when I worked for a national hotel group and the back area was out of order for longer then say a few hours.
    "If you are caught in a rainstorm, once you accept that you'll receive a soaking, the only thing left to do is enjoy the walk"
    • anamenottaken
    • By anamenottaken 12th May 18, 12:10 PM
    • 4,146 Posts
    • 3,628 Thanks
    anamenottaken
    • 12th May 18, 12:10 PM
    • 12th May 18, 12:10 PM
    Sounds like it is staff loo's...why can't you ask to use the public/customer facilities. This is what happened when I worked for a national hotel group and the back area was out of order for longer then say a few hours.
    Originally posted by keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    Not all employers have loos for the public/customers as the only non-staff who may attend are business visitors who use the general (therefore staff) facilities.
    • steampowered
    • By steampowered 12th May 18, 12:19 PM
    • 2,668 Posts
    • 2,602 Thanks
    steampowered
    • 12th May 18, 12:19 PM
    • 12th May 18, 12:19 PM
    The relevant legislation is the Workplace (Health, Safety and Welfare) Regulations 1992. Regulation 20, Sanitary conveniences, states:

Suitable and sufficient sanitary conveniences shall be provided at readily accessible places.

Without prejudice to the generality of paragraph (1), sanitary conveniences shall not be suitable unless -

the rooms containing them are adequately ventilated and lit;

they and the rooms containing them are kept in a clean and orderly condition; and

separate rooms containing conveniences are provided for men and women except where and so far as each convenience is in a separate room the door of which is capable of being secured from inside.

The Approved code of practice goes on to give minimum numbers of facilities (see http://www.hse.gov.uk/contact/faqs/toilets.htm).
    • nicechap
    • By nicechap 12th May 18, 1:01 PM
    • 1,217 Posts
    • 2,517 Thanks
    nicechap
    • 12th May 18, 1:01 PM
    Without knowing all the ins and outs of the situation (just one toilet? Fixed time breaks?) there might be a discrimination angle if, for religious/ cultural reasons some women are prevented from using same ablution area, but, even in these circumstances, in extremis, needs outweigh practices.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin
    • 74jax
    • By 74jax 12th May 18, 1:01 PM
    • 4,711 Posts
    • 6,427 Thanks
    74jax
    I think they just have to have locked cubicles, but I can imagine it being annoying if you're on your period and they've not provided a bin. How long are the women's out of use for?
    Originally posted by dominqueobs

Surely you could move a bin in there?
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
    • shortcrust
    • By shortcrust 12th May 18, 1:37 PM
    • 2,020 Posts
    • 3,008 Thanks
    shortcrust
    I'd expect a group of adults to cope with this situation without too much fuss.

What do the women who aren't happy about it want to happen?
    • dominqueobs
    • By dominqueobs 12th May 18, 1:52 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    dominqueobs
    Surely you could move a bin in there?
    Originally posted by 74jax
    Not just a bin, sanitary waste disposal bin(s).

The Duty of Care Act means that as well as providing these conveniences, any sanitary waste must be managed to the point of disposal. This means that neither you or any of your employees can dispose of the contents of the bins. Only a licenced carrier can do this and a full audit trail of documentation must be available at all times. Failure to comply with this can lead to a large fine or even imprisonment.
    • shortcrust
    • By shortcrust 12th May 18, 2:18 PM
    • 2,020 Posts
    • 3,008 Thanks
    shortcrust
    At the risk of flaunting my status as a logistical genius, they can move the existing bin from the out of action women's toilet to the gents.
    • dominqueobs
    • By dominqueobs 12th May 18, 2:34 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    dominqueobs
    At the risk of flaunting my status as a logistical genius, they can move the existing bin from the out of action women's toilet to the gents.
    Originally posted by shortcrust
    Let them do that then, unless the reason they're out of order prevents them doing so. I'm just saying they need to have a bin specifically for sanitary towels not just shove a pedal bin in there. That's the only thing I can see is different between a locked cubicle stall for men and women, in answer to the OP's question
    • 74jax
    • By 74jax 12th May 18, 4:55 PM
    • 4,711 Posts
    • 6,427 Thanks
    74jax

You flaunt your status girl, I'm 100% with you.
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
    • Soot2006
    • By Soot2006 12th May 18, 5:15 PM
    • 1,269 Posts
    • 1,294 Thanks
    Soot2006

Inspirational!

... At my work we've been campaigning for unisex toilets so wouldn't bother me at all.
    • comeandgo
    • By comeandgo 12th May 18, 5:29 PM
    • 2,101 Posts
    • 2,857 Thanks
    comeandgo
    Try going to a rugby match where the ladies queue for the toilets is so so long, the men don't mind if the ladies use their loos too, well non have been brave enough to complain.
    • Bogof_Babe
    • By Bogof_Babe 12th May 18, 5:35 PM
    • 10,138 Posts
    • 16,500 Thanks
    Bogof_Babe
    A bit awkward if the ladies have to walk past urinals to get to a cubicle. Unless there's a way of ensuring such are not in use at any time when potentially a female might wish to use a loo.
    I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe

• Nebulous2
    • By Nebulous2 12th May 18, 6:16 PM
    • 1,916 Posts
    • 1,145 Thanks
    Nebulous2
    I've been seeing lots of people getting very wound up about toilets in other places - and not knowing what their background is or what might be upsetting them I've always decided it is best to keep quiet.

However - this seems to be a particularly British thing. Camping and touring in France / Netherlands / Spain people seem much more relaxed about it. Campsite toilets are often unisex. Even where they aren't if the female toilet is closed for cleaning women will wander into the male toilet without a second thought. In motorway service stations, as described above for rugby matches, if there is a queue at the ladies people will make their way into the gents.
    • Tabbytabitha
    • By Tabbytabitha 12th May 18, 7:06 PM
    • 3,097 Posts
    • 5,045 Thanks
    Tabbytabitha
    A bit awkward if the ladies have to walk past urinals to get to a cubicle. Unless there's a way of ensuring such are not in use at any time when potentially a female might wish to use a loo.
    Originally posted by Bogof_Babe
    You must have better eyesight than I have!
    • nicechap
    • By nicechap 12th May 18, 7:20 PM
    • 1,217 Posts
    • 2,517 Thanks
    nicechap
    They have these in London too.

https://i2-prod.chesterchronicle.co.uk/incoming/article5109103.ece/ALTERNATES/s615b/image-9-for-has-chester-gone-potty-gallery-306628508.jpg
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” - George Carlin
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

247Posts Today

3,454Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @samgio1997: So glad you talked about the importance of taking out holiday insurance on this morning as a few years ago my auntie's pare?

• RT @mmhpi: "Two years ago, I was in the fortunate position to be able to found @mmhpi... I?m incredibly proud of the work the team there is?

• It means you should either have an annual policy in place, or book a specific single trip policy when you book https://t.co/oBDx8TmzQU

• Follow Martin