Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Returntosender
    • By Returntosender 11th May 18, 5:41 PM
    • 32Posts
    • 17Thanks
    Returntosender
    Hate Weddings...
    • 11th May 18, 5:41 PM
    Hate Weddings... 11th May 18 at 5:41 PM
    I couldn't be happier to be engaged to the man I adore. The problem is, I hate weddings. The pomp and circumstance makes me cringe and the money people throw away on them makes me want to throw up.

So, I'm trying to plan a very low budget, low faff wedding. I'd rather not get hitched in a Register Office so I'm trying to think outside the box when it comes to the venue - I absolutely don't want to spend more than a few hundred quid on the venue.

Am I mad thinking this is doable?
Page 1
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 11th May 18, 6:42 PM
    • 13,924 Posts
    • 18,311 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    • 11th May 18, 6:42 PM
    • 11th May 18, 6:42 PM
    I think you will struggle. Have you considered one of the smaller register offices?

The register office I used for my first marriage was essentially just a front room in a house in Scotland.

Fees were around 90, if I remember correctly.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. - Mark Twain
    • Tigsteroonie
    • By Tigsteroonie 11th May 18, 6:45 PM
    • 22,715 Posts
    • 57,004 Thanks
    Tigsteroonie
    • 11th May 18, 6:45 PM
    • 11th May 18, 6:45 PM
    The expense of getting married other than in a Register Office isn't the marriage fees or the venue hire - it's the cost of getting the Registrar to attend. You could be looking at 300+ simply for an official to leave their building and walk down the road into the building you choose. If you're thinking low budget, that's not low budget.

Instead, have a look around your local towns and select a Register Office that you like. We chose to marry in the neighbouring Town Hall because their Register Office was in the main building, which was quite ornate and had lots of lovely stained glass windows. It also had its own car park, which can be useful in town centres!

We pulled our wedding in for under 500 but then we only had four guests.
    Mrs Marleyboy

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

Proud Parents to an Au-some son
    • Returntosender
    • By Returntosender 11th May 18, 7:30 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    Returntosender
    • 11th May 18, 7:30 PM
    • 11th May 18, 7:30 PM
    The expense of getting married other than in a Register Office isn't the marriage fees or the venue hire - it's the cost of getting the Registrar to attend. You could be looking at 300+ simply for an official to leave their building and walk down the road into the building you choose. If you're thinking low budget, that's not low budget.

Instead, have a look around your local towns and select a Register Office that you like. We chose to marry in the neighbouring Town Hall because their Register Office was in the main building, which was quite ornate and had lots of lovely stained glass windows. It also had its own car park, which can be useful in town centres!

We pulled our wedding in for under 500 but then we only had four guests.
    Originally posted by Tigsteroonie
    Can you marry in a Register Office that isn't local to you? I thought it had to be in the county you lived.. our local RO is hideous....
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 11th May 18, 7:34 PM
    • 13,924 Posts
    • 18,311 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    • 11th May 18, 7:34 PM
    • 11th May 18, 7:34 PM
    Can you marry in a Register Office that isn't local to you? I thought it had to be in the county you lived.. our local RO is hideous....
    Originally posted by Returntosender
    Mine was 300 miles away from where I lived.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. - Mark Twain
    • skimper
    • By skimper 14th May 18, 2:32 PM
    • 131 Posts
    • 107 Thanks
    skimper
    • 14th May 18, 2:32 PM
    • 14th May 18, 2:32 PM
    Our registrar cost us 650! Nearly choked when she told me the price. that was in East Cheshire.
    • TonyMMM
    • By TonyMMM 14th May 18, 4:17 PM
    • 2,648 Posts
    • 2,921 Thanks
    TonyMMM
    • 14th May 18, 4:17 PM
    • 14th May 18, 4:17 PM
    Originally posted by Returntosender
    You have to give notice in the area you live in (just some form filling and ID checking), the ceremony can be in another register office, or licenced venue, wherever you like.
    Last edited by TonyMMM; 14-05-2018 at 4:19 PM.
    • pigpen
    • By pigpen 15th May 18, 12:23 PM
    • 36,724 Posts
    • 472,715 Thanks
    pigpen
    • 15th May 18, 12:23 PM
    • 15th May 18, 12:23 PM
    Our local registry office is an ugly a$$ new-ish building.. the rooms are sparse and it is right in th emiddle of the town centre with nowhere even for photographs to be taken.. We would have to give notice there.. I looked into exactly this a while back.

You book the place you want.. give notice at the place you live.. the paperwork is all online so it is sent straight over without any actual paperwork exchanging hands, when this is done you ring the chosen venue back, tell them you have given notice and they will formalise the booking. Within 2 weeks you should get formal notification that your chosen place has been booked.

It is that simple.. 2-3 phonecalls and an hour at your local office and you're all set.

You need an idea of guest numbers as registry offices have a number of rooms available depending on the size of the group.

IF I were to get married I wouldn't tell anyone.. I would book it, have 2 witnesses and just do it.. the sheer logistics of getting the 2 families together is too stressful.
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    15/05/2018 53528.71 (2.41% int.)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,082Posts Today

7,979Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin