IT Contracting / Accommodation

Options
Hi,

I was wondering if there were any contractors who could recommend what they do to find short term accommodation whilst contracting.

I know about Airbnb and Tripadvisor but I've seen companies that claim to be able to get good discounts on your behalf.

Thanks,
Ed.

Comments

• Mr_Noodles
    Mr_Noodles Posts: 10 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    You could walk into a motel and just tell them you're a contractor and you're going to be working round the corner for the next X months, I'm sure they'd be happy to see you.
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 11 May 2018 at 12:03PM
    Options
    Ed_Zep wrote: »
    Hi,

I was wondering if there were any contractors who could recommend what they do to find short term accommodation whilst contracting.

I know about Airbnb and Tripadvisor but I've seen companies that claim to be able to get good discounts on your behalf.

Thanks,
    Ed.

If going somewhere new i tend to just look up expedia or booking.com and find somewhere cheap. Depends on how little you want to spend and where you are. Of the big chains IBIS budget are the cheapest though theres usually B&Bs about . I'd always check tripadvisor for reviews as some can be complete dives. IBIS budge works out about £40 a night for me and i stay 3 nights a week and WFH on a Friday. Generally i'd aim for £40 a night or less. Got a B&B in Slough for the last contract for £38 including full breakfast.

I try to find somewhere that means i can walk to work, so i get a bit of exercise and keep the travel costs down.

Never really used airbnb for contracting but i know people who do.

Any companies that offer discounts tend to be on the "list price" of the room, and they're all discounted on expedia and booking.com anyway.
  • Ed_Zep
    Ed_Zep Posts: 340 Forumite
    Options
    Cheers Motorguy. How much do you normally pay if in London?
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 12 May 2018 at 10:12AM
    Options
    Ed_Zep wrote: »
    Cheers Motorguy. How much do you normally pay if in London?

I've been lucky enough not to need to be in Central London so far, so have got away with Hatfield, Slough, Woking, etc. I think the Travel Lodge i used in Woking was maybe £50 a night.

I guess if i was looking at central London i'd look at the prices of Travel Lodges and IBIS Budget and then see what i can get for less, if anything. There would be B&Bs about so it would be a matter of seeing what they look like i guess.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure