Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Ed_Zep
    • By Ed_Zep 10th May 18, 11:20 PM
    • 337Posts
    • 260Thanks
    Ed_Zep
    IT Contracting / Accommodation
    • 10th May 18, 11:20 PM
    IT Contracting / Accommodation 10th May 18 at 11:20 PM
    Hi,

I was wondering if there were any contractors who could recommend what they do to find short term accommodation whilst contracting.

I know about Airbnb and Tripadvisor but I've seen companies that claim to be able to get good discounts on your behalf.

Thanks,
    Ed.
Page 1
    • Mr Noodles
    • By Mr Noodles 11th May 18, 5:58 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    Mr Noodles
    • 11th May 18, 5:58 AM
    • 11th May 18, 5:58 AM
    You could walk into a motel and just tell them you're a contractor and you're going to be working round the corner for the next X months, I'm sure they'd be happy to see you.
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 11th May 18, 9:37 AM
    • 16,971 Posts
    • 10,105 Thanks
    motorguy
    • 11th May 18, 9:37 AM
    • 11th May 18, 9:37 AM
    Hi,

I was wondering if there were any contractors who could recommend what they do to find short term accommodation whilst contracting.

I know about Airbnb and Tripadvisor but I've seen companies that claim to be able to get good discounts on your behalf.

Thanks,
    Ed.
    Originally posted by Ed_Zep
    If going somewhere new i tend to just look up expedia or booking.com and find somewhere cheap. Depends on how little you want to spend and where you are. Of the big chains IBIS budget are the cheapest though theres usually B&Bs about . I'd always check tripadvisor for reviews as some can be complete dives. IBIS budge works out about 40 a night for me and i stay 3 nights a week and WFH on a Friday. Generally i'd aim for 40 a night or less. Got a B&B in Slough for the last contract for 38 including full breakfast.

I try to find somewhere that means i can walk to work, so i get a bit of exercise and keep the travel costs down.

Never really used airbnb for contracting but i know people who do.

Any companies that offer discounts tend to be on the "list price" of the room, and they're all discounted on expedia and booking.com anyway.
    Last edited by motorguy; 11-05-2018 at 12:03 PM.
    "We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem."
    • Ed_Zep
    • By Ed_Zep 11th May 18, 10:57 PM
    • 337 Posts
    • 260 Thanks
    Ed_Zep
    • 11th May 18, 10:57 PM
    • 11th May 18, 10:57 PM
    Cheers Motorguy. How much do you normally pay if in London?
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 12th May 18, 9:50 AM
    • 16,971 Posts
    • 10,105 Thanks
    motorguy
    • 12th May 18, 9:50 AM
    • 12th May 18, 9:50 AM
    Cheers Motorguy. How much do you normally pay if in London?
    Originally posted by Ed_Zep
    I've been lucky enough not to need to be in Central London so far, so have got away with Hatfield, Slough, Woking, etc. I think the Travel Lodge i used in Woking was maybe 50 a night.

I guess if i was looking at central London i'd look at the prices of Travel Lodges and IBIS Budget and then see what i can get for less, if anything. There would be B&Bs about so it would be a matter of seeing what they look like i guess.
    Last edited by motorguy; 12-05-2018 at 10:12 AM.
    "We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem."
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

131Posts Today

1,751Users online

Martin's Twitter