Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Dribiddi
    • By Dribiddi 9th May 18, 11:53 PM
    • 68Posts
    • 27Thanks
    Dribiddi
    Jury duty
    • 9th May 18, 11:53 PM
    Jury duty 9th May 18 at 11:53 PM
    Iím not asking for a morality lesson here just the facts

I work for a large organisation whose HR policies are surprisingly slack.
    I have been summoned to jury duty next week. To get the day off as business leave I just had to show the citation to show to someone from resources and that was that. When I had a question later on about process it was all very relaxed, almost ďI donít really know but donít worry about itĒ.
    I have an Open University exam in a few weeks and if not called to serve on the jury, I am very tempted to take a few extra days off and say I did. Is this too risky?
Page 1
    • aife
    • By aife 10th May 18, 12:31 AM
    • 196 Posts
    • 168 Thanks
    aife
    • 10th May 18, 12:31 AM
    • 10th May 18, 12:31 AM
    Yes , it's fraud.
    • baza52
    • By baza52 10th May 18, 12:34 AM
    • 2,200 Posts
    • 2,313 Thanks
    baza52
    • 10th May 18, 12:34 AM
    • 10th May 18, 12:34 AM
    Jury service usualy lasts for 2 weeks and you will be expected to attend every day unless told otherwise by the court. You could get 1 case that lasts 2 weeks or more or have 3 or 4 cases during the same time.
    I have done Jury service 4 times and each time i was there for 2 weeks with the exception of being let go on a thursday on the second week as no new cases were expected to start or finish the following day.

Take a book as you will be sat there for hours waiting to be allocated a case to sit on.

If you take more time off who will be paying your wages? You can only claim loss of earnings for the time you serve as a juror.
    Last edited by baza52; 10-05-2018 at 12:46 AM.
    • Dox
    • By Dox 10th May 18, 12:36 AM
    • 1,002 Posts
    • 788 Thanks
    Dox
    • 10th May 18, 12:36 AM
    • 10th May 18, 12:36 AM
    It's certainly both stupid and immoral. Oh, sorry - you didn't want to hear that, did you?
    • aife
    • By aife 10th May 18, 12:42 AM
    • 196 Posts
    • 168 Thanks
    aife
    • 10th May 18, 12:42 AM
    • 10th May 18, 12:42 AM
    Jury service usualy lasts for 2 weeks. You could get 1 case that lasts 2 weeks or more or have 3 or 4 cases during the same time.

If you take more time off who will be paying your wages? You can only claim loss of earnings for the time you serve as a juror.
    Originally posted by baza52
    - be funny if the OP ends up with one of those really complicated criminal fraud cases that goes on for a year where the jury has to be sequestered
    • baza52
    • By baza52 10th May 18, 12:52 AM
    • 2,200 Posts
    • 2,313 Thanks
    baza52
    • 10th May 18, 12:52 AM
    • 10th May 18, 12:52 AM
    - be funny if the OP ends up with one of those really complicated criminal fraud cases that goes on for a year where the jury has to be sequestered
    Originally posted by aife
    I got selected for a long fraud case some years back but work didnt want to lose me and ended up having to fax the court/judge to say so and i was dismissed.
    Last time i did Jury service was at Belmarsh and they picked the jury for the Hatton garden safe deposit raid. I was chatting to a guy who got called and it ended up going on for quite a while.
    I would have loved to have been on that case but am glad i was all done in just 2 weeks.
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 10th May 18, 1:54 AM
    • 39,134 Posts
    • 36,026 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    • 10th May 18, 1:54 AM
    • 10th May 18, 1:54 AM
    Be very clear that even if the response to you was "I don't really know but don't worry about it", and even if your employer is going to pay you as usual while you're on jury duty, your employer will almost certainly require proof of attendance from the court for every day you're there, and the court certainly won't lie!

If I remember from sorting it out for one of my colleagues, they attended and did their stuff. We paid them as usual, they received statutory expenses for each day they were needed, we deducted those expenses the following month. If there had been any days when they were neither in work nor at court, we'd have deducted a full day's pay.
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 2 hats, 2 balaclavas for seamen, 1 balaclava for myself, multiple poppies, 3 peony flowers, 4 butterflies ...
    Current projects: ready to decrease / decreasing on all parts of the mohair cardigan pattern!
    • shortcrust
    • By shortcrust 10th May 18, 9:11 AM
    • 2,149 Posts
    • 3,311 Thanks
    shortcrust
    • 10th May 18, 9:11 AM
    • 10th May 18, 9:11 AM

I have been summoned to jury duty next week. To get the day off as business leave I just had to show the citation to show to someone from resources and that was that. When I had a question later on about process it was all very relaxed, almost ďI donít really know but donít worry about itĒ.
    I have an Open University exam in a few weeks and if not called to serve on the jury, I am very tempted to take a few extra days off and say I did. Is this too risky?
    Originally posted by Dribiddi
    You don't get to choose how people reply to your thread.

Why not just be a decent person and repay your company's trust with some honesty?
    • Ozzuk
    • By Ozzuk 10th May 18, 9:32 AM
    • 1,478 Posts
    • 2,144 Thanks
    Ozzuk
    • 10th May 18, 9:32 AM
    • 10th May 18, 9:32 AM
    Yes it is too risky. If you aren't needed at court then you should be in work. Simples. any deviation will be an unauthorised absence, why risk your job/career over a few days?

"Why did you leave your last job" "I decided not to go into work for a few days and lied about why". Next!
    • lulu650
    • By lulu650 10th May 18, 9:59 AM
    • 923 Posts
    • 980 Thanks
    lulu650
    You'll have time hanging around waiting to be called, so bring your revision materials in with you and don't get chatting to the others.
    Saving money right, left and centre
    • soolin
    • By soolin 10th May 18, 10:14 AM
    • 61,025 Posts
    • 43,596 Thanks
    soolin

I am quite shocked actually to see a question posed on MSE that asks if fraud is acceptable in the workplace.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • Les79
    • By Les79 10th May 18, 10:24 AM
    • 566 Posts
    • 652 Thanks
    Les79
    Why not?

If we teach you about morality, you will be able to use your newfound moral compass to solve similar problems in the future
    • Brynsam
    • By Brynsam 10th May 18, 10:28 AM
    • 1,676 Posts
    • 1,232 Thanks
    Brynsam
    Given your moral outlook (or lack of it) you clearly aren't fit to serve on a jury, so the question seems academic.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 10th May 18, 10:48 AM
    • 61,025 Posts
    • 43,596 Thanks
    soolin
    Given your moral outlook (or lack of it) you clearly aren't fit to serve on a jury, so the question seems academic.
    Originally posted by Brynsam
    Actually I think you win the thread - your post is perfect.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • gazzak
    • By gazzak 10th May 18, 10:55 AM
    • 458 Posts
    • 615 Thanks
    gazzak
    I did jury service recently and my workplace were really good and helpful to me, saying just do your time and we'll see you in 2 weeks. Full pay, no issues.
    Talking to many of my fellow jurors it seems I was in the minority with many of them having huge issues with their employers.

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth is a phrase I'd use. Appreciate that you have a good HR, don't spoil that by trying to pull a fast one.
    • ReadingTim
    • By ReadingTim 10th May 18, 10:59 AM
    • 3,095 Posts
    • 4,574 Thanks
    ReadingTim
    If you're called for jury service you've got to go to the Court every day to see if you're needed - cases start and finish all the time and no-one knows how long they're going to last. If you're not called immediately, you usually have to hang around until after lunch (ie until the start of the afternoon session), whereupon you'll be dismissed until the following day. Repeat for a fortnight. But don't turn up to the court, and you're in a world of pain, as they'll have explained to you.

Therefore, while you can't skive off for whole days at a time, there will be plenty of hanging around and boredom, so no reason not to take your books and do some revision. Often, after a few days of the jurors' waiting room, it's a relief to get a case!
    • pimento
    • By pimento 10th May 18, 11:34 AM
    • 5,517 Posts
    • 7,143 Thanks
    pimento
    Veering slightly off topic, it's annoying that some people are continually called to serve on a jury and others never are.

I'm 57 and have never been called. I'd love to do it.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
    • soolin
    • By soolin 10th May 18, 11:37 AM
    • 61,025 Posts
    • 43,596 Thanks
    soolin
    Veering slightly off topic, it's annoying that some people are continually called to serve on a jury and others never are.

Originally posted by pimento
    I've been called 4 times and have done it twice , my husband has never been called at all. One of my sons has been called twice, neither of my other sons have been called at all.

It really is random.
    New to Forum? Guide
    • ReadingTim
    • By ReadingTim 10th May 18, 11:50 AM
    • 3,095 Posts
    • 4,574 Thanks
    ReadingTim

Originally posted by pimento
    It's a mildly interesting process to have been a part of, but I'd have a slight concern about someone who was so itching to do it....

From my experience and comments from my parents, all of whom have done it in crown courts, it's a rather tedious and confusing affair. There's a lot of waiting around for something to happen, and when it does and you're in court hearing evidence it can be a disjointed process as prosecution and defence can call "objection" to things, but the full basis of that objection isn't explained to the jurors. You can then either be sent out, or told to disregard something you've just heard, but rarely, if ever, why. That can make for a rather fractured narrative, especially as both sides will go over the same thing from different perspectives, over and over again - so, the motifs of boredom and confusion appear again!

I'm sure your time will come - the only guarantee is that it will probably be at quite an inconvenient time...!
    • NaughtiusMaximus
    • By NaughtiusMaximus 10th May 18, 12:23 PM
    • 1,337 Posts
    • 3,241 Thanks
    NaughtiusMaximus
    I've been called 4 times and have done it twice , my husband has never been called at all. One of my sons has been called twice, neither of my other sons have been called at all.

It really is random.
    Originally posted by soolin
    This came up at a family do a couple of years ago, neither me, my parents, grandparents, siblings, aunts, uncles or cousins (over 20 adults in total) have ever been called, Makes me wonder if the courts think our family are too dodgy to trust with jury duty
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,774Posts Today

10,536Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just sent a text about postgrad loans. My Swype text auto-corrected it to pothead loans. Does it know something I don't?

• Are you an overdraft prisoner? How to escape it! My new blog on ways to get rid of your overdraft... https://t.co/KbJwbWLFQI

• RT @bbc5live: .@MartinSLewis joins @annaefoster from midday to answer your money saving questions. ???? 08085 909 693 ???? 85058 Or post your q?

• Follow Martin