Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • robroyin
    • By robroyin 9th May 18, 11:57 AM
    • 11Posts
    • 1Thanks
    robroyin
    Probation period
    • 9th May 18, 11:57 AM
    Probation period 9th May 18 at 11:57 AM
    Hi,

I hope I could get some prespective or some advice.

I joined a Hotel as a head chef in jan 25th and I was really enjoying it, I had my 8 weeks reviews on march 23rd, which was good there were no alarm bells as in I wasn't underperforming as such (they didn't do a 4 week review).

They did a 12 week review on the 25th April and again there was few things, which I needed to improve on, but nothing was mentioned that they might extend probabtion period or sack me, the GM said he wishes to continue this review chat on a future date

So I have been working for 2 weeks after the final review and I didn't think much, thought they might have confirmed me (as generally they don't give me confirmation letter ) so out of blue on 8th april he fixes a meeting and tells me its not working for us and they want to let go of me. reasons being my kitchen audit was not upto mark and the team is not developing in the right way.

He did mention that he is sorry and he thinks I am a great guy intelligent hardworking and would be happy to give me a reference and would recommend me, to other hotels within the group but not here.

now my questions is.

Can he do this after my probation period or is there a ground where he can say, he is busy and he didn't have time to fire me on my review day?

Contract says after probation period either party should give 8 weeks notice he is only giving me 2 weeks notice pay?

is there anything I could get from the company as the whole 3 months I worked there was no warnings or red flags that I needed to really push . I do have copies of all my reviews ? this whole thing stinks

Any advice or thoughts on this, I would be highly grateful.
Page 1
    • ReadingTim
    • By ReadingTim 9th May 18, 12:25 PM
    • 2,774 Posts
    • 3,979 Thanks
    ReadingTim
    • 9th May 18, 12:25 PM
    • 9th May 18, 12:25 PM
    Suspect that the company will claim that as the manager said he "wishes to continue this review chat on a future date" then it meant you had not passed your probationary period. Yes, he should have been clearer, but equally, you can't just assume you've passed it - in my current role I have a meeting with my manager to be informed that I'd officially passed the probationary period, for example.

Also, you say there "was no warnings or red flags that I needed to really push", but also that "there was a few things" mentioned at the 12 week review, which is inconsistent. And you failed, or scored poorly on the kitchen audit.

Suggest this is enough for them to claim you didn't pass the probationary period, so would only qualify for pay for whatever the notice period during the probationary period is - which could be as little as one week. You're therefore on a hiding to nothing with this one as they want rid of you. It's difficult not to be annoyed, but it seems they don't have an issue with your work - probably somehow they felt you didn't fit in - whatever that means.

Either way, rather than sour relations and jeopardise any possible reference of verbal recommendation, swallow your pride and get looking for something else - even take the manager up on his offer re. other hotels in the group.

Sorry if this isn't what you want to hear, and best wishes with the job search - you're probably better off out of there.
    • El Torro
    • By El Torro 9th May 18, 12:56 PM
    • 294 Posts
    • 270 Thanks
    El Torro
    • 9th May 18, 12:56 PM
    • 9th May 18, 12:56 PM
    Legally speaking probation periods don't mean a lot, an employer can get rid of an employee for little to no reason within the first two years of their employment.

Personally I think you have a case to say that contractually they should be giving you 8 weeks notice, not 2. As ReadingTim has said though I also don't think it's worth pursuing too hard, just take the reference they are giving you and find another job.
    • robroyin
    • By robroyin 9th May 18, 1:04 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    robroyin
    • 9th May 18, 1:04 PM
    • 9th May 18, 1:04 PM
    thank you for your insight I am just hoping he will give me a good reference for future
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

326Posts Today

3,615Users online

Martin's Twitter