Self Assessment gross pension payment query

Options
fluffig
fluffig Posts: 433 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
Am mid tax return and have got stuck on gross pension payments. I have read HMRC 'help' on this, but am still confused.

Net pension payments last year were £15,400. I understand that adding 25% to gross them up makes them £19,250. But, as the 25% is credited to the pension account monthly at the end of the each following month, a tax year was crossed and so £500 of that gross will go through in this financial year, rather than last.

So. Do I input £19,250 which is mathematically correct, even though £500 of it is going through this financial year? Or £18,750 which is what has actually been paid into the pension last financial year?

Comments

• Dazed_and_confused
    Options
    I think you are over complicating this.

Your net payment is £15,400 so the gross is £19,250.

Some pension companies pre-fund the tax relief others don't but I don't think there is any difference in tax treatment. It is when you made your payment which counts.
  • fluffig
    fluffig Posts: 433 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I think you are over complicating this.

Your net payment is £15,400 so the gross is £19,250.

Some pension companies pre-fund the tax relief others don't but I don't think there is any difference in tax treatment. It is when you made your payment which counts.

Thank you! I think you're right. I'm over complicating it. I'll input the mathematically correct version.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure