Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • fluffig
    • By fluffig 8th May 18, 3:23 PM
    • 123Posts
    • 399Thanks
    fluffig
    Self Assessment gross pension payment query
    • 8th May 18, 3:23 PM
    Self Assessment gross pension payment query 8th May 18 at 3:23 PM
    Am mid tax return and have got stuck on gross pension payments. I have read HMRC 'help' on this, but am still confused.

Net pension payments last year were 15,400. I understand that adding 25% to gross them up makes them 19,250. But, as the 25% is credited to the pension account monthly at the end of the each following month, a tax year was crossed and so 500 of that gross will go through in this financial year, rather than last.

So. Do I input 19,250 which is mathematically correct, even though 500 of it is going through this financial year? Or 18,750 which is what has actually been paid into the pension last financial year?
Page 1
    • Dazed and confused
    • By Dazed and confused 8th May 18, 4:36 PM
    • 2,907 Posts
    • 1,418 Thanks
    Dazed and confused
    • 8th May 18, 4:36 PM
    • 8th May 18, 4:36 PM
    I think you are over complicating this.

Your net payment is 15,400 so the gross is 19,250.

Some pension companies pre-fund the tax relief others don't but I don't think there is any difference in tax treatment. It is when you made your payment which counts.
    • fluffig
    • By fluffig 8th May 18, 5:10 PM
    • 123 Posts
    • 399 Thanks
    fluffig
    • 8th May 18, 5:10 PM
    • 8th May 18, 5:10 PM
    I think you are over complicating this.

Your net payment is 15,400 so the gross is 19,250.

Some pension companies pre-fund the tax relief others don't but I don't think there is any difference in tax treatment. It is when you made your payment which counts.
    Originally posted by Dazed and confused
    Thank you! I think you're right. I'm over complicating it. I'll input the mathematically correct version.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

86Posts Today

2,018Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

• RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

• RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

• Follow Martin