Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • redfox
    • By redfox 1st May 18, 6:37 AM
    • 13,541Posts
    • 36,892Thanks
    redfox
    0 WOW
    Halfords advanced 8 piece screwdriver set. Was £20 now £6
    • 1st May 18, 6:37 AM
    0 WOW
    Halfords advanced 8 piece screwdriver set. Was £20 now £6 1st May 18 at 6:37 AM
    Was £20 now only £6. Free Click & Collect.

The Halfords Advanced 8 piece Screwdriver Set has comfortable grip handles designed for greater torque and chrome molybdenum vanadium steel shafts for added strength. The magnetised blades are useful for holding and retrieving screws and they are colour coded for convenient organisation.
    • Colour coded for convenient organisation
    • Comfort grip handles designed for greater torque
    • Chrome Molybdenum Vanadium Steel shafts for added strength
    • 4 x Plain slot screwdrivers (150x6.6, 125x5.5, 80x4, 38x6.5)
    • 4 x Pozidriv screwdrivers (100xPZ2, 80xPZ1, 60xPZ0, 38xPZ2)
    • Supplied with storage tray
    • Life Time Guarantee*
    Halfords Advance Advanced Hand Tools come with a Lifetime Guarantee.

Official MoneySavingExpert insert Tue 1 May: You can get an eight-piece screwdriver set for £6 (norm £20) online at Halfords when you collect in store for free Ė otherwise deliveryís £3.

Weíve asked Halfords how long the offer will last but it hasnít got back to us yet, so go quick if itís something you want.

Big thanks to redfox for the spot!
    This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Oliver; 01-05-2018 at 6:27 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Quick Grabbit, Food Shopping & Groceries, Shop but don't drop, Loans and Cutting Tax boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Page 1
    • Stelf
    • By Stelf 9th May 18, 2:34 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Stelf
    • 9th May 18, 2:34 PM
    David T.
    • 9th May 18, 2:34 PM
    I took my car to Halfords for a service some time ago. It was a shambles from start to finish. They tried to charge me for work not done and also for work not needed. They have a dreadful reputation in much of the motor trade so why you keep on recommending this firm is a mystery. Needless to say I avoid then like the plague now.
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 9th May 18, 2:36 PM
    • 33,321 Posts
    • 39,296 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 9th May 18, 2:36 PM
    • 9th May 18, 2:36 PM
    Which had what to do with buying a set of screwdrivers from them ?
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • prowla
    • By prowla 9th May 18, 3:30 PM
    • 9,858 Posts
    • 8,002 Thanks
    prowla
    • 9th May 18, 3:30 PM
    • 9th May 18, 3:30 PM
    I'm sure I got a set of those free with something a couple of years ago.
    • PDQ
    • By PDQ 9th May 18, 3:40 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    PDQ
    • 9th May 18, 3:40 PM
    • 9th May 18, 3:40 PM
    Which had what to do with buying a set of screwdrivers from them ?
    Originally posted by Browntoa
    Their reputation which as they rightly point out is woeful.
    Personally I'm more interested in knowing what an "advanced" screwdriver is? One that interprets your needs, or is it just another terminology fad like "turbo"?

If you want a decent-ish but inexpensive set there are far better alternatives and if you want a good quality set I personally wouldn't buy Halfords own-brand. It was overpriced to begin with, and I wonder what the "lifetime guarantee" really means; whose lifetime?
    • pc1271
    • By pc1271 10th May 18, 8:58 PM
    • 273 Posts
    • 342 Thanks
    pc1271
    • 10th May 18, 8:58 PM
    • 10th May 18, 8:58 PM
    'Advanced' is the Halfords brand for better quality tools rather than cheap, it's not a description of the screwdrivers.
    • robin58
    • By robin58 11th May 18, 4:04 AM
    • 2,488 Posts
    • 2,886 Thanks
    robin58
    • 11th May 18, 4:04 AM
    • 11th May 18, 4:04 AM
    For 75p for each screwdriver who cares, it's not their usual price of £3.33 each!

I brought a set and was surprised to find they were made in Germany not China.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!!
    • Cap Hero
    • By Cap Hero 13th May 18, 1:17 PM
    • 118 Posts
    • 178 Thanks
    Cap Hero
    • 13th May 18, 1:17 PM
    • 13th May 18, 1:17 PM
    I need screwdrivers for a little DIY today so this is a cracking deal for me thanks!
    • PDQ
    • By PDQ 14th May 18, 3:23 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    PDQ
    • 14th May 18, 3:23 PM
    • 14th May 18, 3:23 PM
    Aldi's "Workzone" set at £4-49 is very, very similar if you want to be really MSE.
    • PDQ
    • By PDQ 14th May 18, 3:27 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    PDQ
    'Advanced' is the Halfords brand for better quality tools rather than cheap, it's not a description of the screwdrivers.
    Originally posted by pc1271
    As I said, 'another terminology fad like "turbo" '.
    In other words applying a name which implies superiority to aid sales.
    They are in specification no different to the Aldi version I posted earlier, the only real difference being the colour of the handles and that the Aldi version did not previously have their price artificially inflated.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 14th May 18, 3:40 PM
    • 18,941 Posts
    • 13,126 Thanks
    molerat
    For 75p for each screwdriver who cares, it's not their usual price of £3.33 each!

I brought a set and was surprised to find they were made in Germany not China.
    Originally posted by robin58
    £3.33 each / £20 a set ? In a parallel universe maybe. Another Halfords double the rrp to later reduce it to a bargain price. Not knocking the screwdrivers as I have 2 sets but the £20 price is a joke.

SAVE £14 Was £20 *
    Intervening prices may have been charged
    Last edited by molerat; 14-05-2018 at 3:45 PM.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • Aendryr
    • By Aendryr 29th Jun 18, 9:29 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Aendryr
    Got these, quite good. Have had other screw drivers where the tips are rubbish, these seem to be strong.
    • sarah1972
    • By sarah1972 30th Jun 18, 9:13 AM
    • 13,181 Posts
    • 41,492 Thanks
    sarah1972
    Even cheaper now as there is a code for 15% off of hand tools so £5.10 now !

Will pop the code on the codes board.
    I'm a Board Guide on all of the Shopping & Freebies Boards http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5
    I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (its not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,346Posts Today

8,142Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @TimboBagginses: @MartinSLewis Such a good idea. My ex and I have had to negotiate who will 'accept the blame' and what 'type' of blame?

• Delighted to hear a private members bill is proposing to take the need for someone to be at fault out of an agreed? https://t.co/0vQSRKqREh

• RT @GMB: Is it just @MartinSLewis that has an 'overseas wallet' or are you less organised with your holiday spending plans? ????

• Follow Martin