Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • PickleRick2018
    • By PickleRick2018 19th Apr 18, 5:57 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 5Thanks
    PickleRick2018
    Advice sought on what solar panels & home battery
    • 19th Apr 18, 5:57 PM
    Advice sought on what solar panels & home battery 19th Apr 18 at 5:57 PM
    Hi everyone, I知 looking to install solar panels on our house for the first time *plus* install a home battery.

I am completely new to this area, so wondered if you guys could advise what brands of solar panel offer a balance of quality at moderate prices & the same for home batteries.

At the moment I知 only aware of the premium brand - Tesla - and would like to see what moderate options cost & what quality & warranty they offer.

We have a 3 bedroom semi detached house. With approx 30 square metres of perfectly south facing roof, with no obstruction or shade on that roof.

We live in Sussex so again great for solar.

In terms of energy needs - we have a 24 kWH Nissan Leaf Which is fully charged per day, 2 adults & 2 big dogs (no children). So it looks like we use 28 kWh each day. I can confirm/edit that tonight

Thanks all
Page 1
    • Ectophile
    • By Ectophile 19th Apr 18, 10:06 PM
    • 3,314 Posts
    • 2,133 Thanks
    Ectophile
    • 19th Apr 18, 10:06 PM
    • 19th Apr 18, 10:06 PM
    Another brand to look at is Solax. My old inverter failed last December, and I was persuaded to buy a new Solax inverter and battery.

The battery pack also has an LG sticker on it, so I assume they are LG batteries in a Solax box.

If you use 28kWh a day, you're going to need lots of panels and a much bigger battery than I have. A little 3.3kWh battery like I have would hardly make a dent in that.

You may also find the electricity bill starts getting a bit steep in the middle of winter when it's dark and gloomy, and the panels are only generating 100W, with nothing left over to charge the battery.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 20th Apr 18, 8:11 AM
    • 7,547 Posts
    • 12,046 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    • 20th Apr 18, 8:11 AM
    • 20th Apr 18, 8:11 AM
    Hi everyone, I知 looking to install solar panels on our house for the first time *plus* install a home battery.

I am completely new to this area, so wondered if you guys could advise what brands of solar panel offer a balance of quality at moderate prices & the same for home batteries.

At the moment I知 only aware of the premium brand - Tesla - and would like to see what moderate options cost & what quality & warranty they offer.

We have a 3 bedroom semi detached house. With approx 30 square metres of perfectly south facing roof, with no obstruction or shade on that roof.

We live in Sussex so again great for solar.

In terms of energy needs - we have a 24 kWH Nissan Leaf Which is fully charged per day, 2 adults & 2 big dogs (no children). So it looks like we use 28 kWh each day. I can confirm/edit that tonight

Thanks all
    Originally posted by PickleRick2018
    Hiya, welcome to the madhouse.

For some general PV reading and background you might want a quick look at the FAQ's (see link in my autosig).

30m2 roof, would hopefully allow for around 16/17 panels, so at 280-290Wp each, that's close to a 5kWp system, which would be good.

I'd suggest waiting a few years regarding the battery as costs are high, but should start to fall now that sales are accelerating. However, installing a batt with the PV is 5%VAT, whilst doing one separately later is 20%, so a tricky call.

If you can charge your car from the PV, then that's a great saving. If you are out, then using spare from the battery, perhaps 10kWh per day after allowing for home use (from the big Tesla Powerwall II), would be good. But for the 4-6 months when you won't have spare battery, then you'll need cheap rate leccy, and also for extra top up in the summer as you seem to be saying that you put 24kWh's in the Leaf each day, which would be a good days generation for 5kWp in the summer, and twice what the batt will hold if the car isn't parked at home.

Here's a thread discussing the ins and outs of home batts, and most of us are still in watch and wait mode.

On-grid domestic battery storage

Regarding panels, there are simply too many, so it tends to be a case of see what the installer suggests, which in turn is probably based on what the wholesaler has in stock. But I'd really suggest strongly to go for something like 280Wp or more each, rather than say 250Wp, so as to get as much PV on the roof as possible.

Keep chatting, there's loads more!

Mart.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
    • PickleRick2018
    • By PickleRick2018 20th Apr 18, 7:09 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    PickleRick2018
    • 20th Apr 18, 7:09 PM
    • 20th Apr 18, 7:09 PM
    Brilliant thanks guys I値l get reading
    • BlueberryGeezer
    • By BlueberryGeezer 12th May 18, 1:10 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    BlueberryGeezer
    • 12th May 18, 1:10 PM
    Useful link
    • 12th May 18, 1:10 PM
    I found this information useful:

(I can't post the actual link because I'm a new user but if you search on "solar electricity storage systems reviews" you should get a link to a Which article which has some quite useful information including a list of battery storage units with costs)

Watch and wait as the man said,
    • Merlin139
    • By Merlin139 12th May 18, 2:02 PM
    • 5,110 Posts
    • 20,401 Thanks
    Merlin139
    • 12th May 18, 2:02 PM
    • 12th May 18, 2:02 PM
    I found this information useful:

(I can't post the actual link because I'm a new user but if you search on "solar electricity storage systems reviews" you should get a link to a Which article which has some quite useful information including a list of battery storage units with costs)

Watch and wait as the man said,
    Originally posted by BlueberryGeezer
    https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/solar-panels/article/solar-panels/solar-panels-and-energy-storage
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

232Posts Today

2,221Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Lovely package on #newsnight just now about Brexit hitchhiking, livened up what has been not the most exciting show.

• Is this is a serious tweet or a joke? Why did I mention he was a cyclist - because he was a cyclist. Eh? https://t.co/F1SP7UJZkH

• How awful Mark. This is why those people who take risks on the road, have to realise while they think they're gamb? https://t.co/berU23vQOU

• Follow Martin