Advice sought on what solar panels & home battery

Options
Hi everyone, I’m looking to install solar panels on our house for the first time *plus* install a home battery.

I am completely new to this area, so wondered if you guys could advise what brands of solar panel offer a balance of quality at moderate prices & the same for home batteries.

At the moment I’m only aware of the premium brand - Tesla - and would like to see what moderate options cost & what quality & warranty they offer.

We have a 3 bedroom semi detached house. With approx 30 square metres of perfectly south facing roof, with no obstruction or shade on that roof.

We live in Sussex so again great for solar.

In terms of energy needs - we have a 24 kWH Nissan Leaf Which is fully charged per day, 2 adults & 2 big dogs (no children). So it looks like we use 28 kWh each day. I can confirm/edit that tonight

Thanks all

Comments

• Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,331 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Another brand to look at is Solax. My old inverter failed last December, and I was persuaded to buy a new Solax inverter and battery.

The battery pack also has an LG sticker on it, so I assume they are LG batteries in a Solax box.

If you use 28kWh a day, you're going to need lots of panels and a much bigger battery than I have. A little 3.3kWh battery like I have would hardly make a dent in that.

You may also find the electricity bill starts getting a bit steep in the middle of winter when it's dark and gloomy, and the panels are only generating 100W, with nothing left over to charge the battery.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,764 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi everyone, I’m looking to install solar panels on our house for the first time *plus* install a home battery.

I am completely new to this area, so wondered if you guys could advise what brands of solar panel offer a balance of quality at moderate prices & the same for home batteries.

At the moment I’m only aware of the premium brand - Tesla - and would like to see what moderate options cost & what quality & warranty they offer.

We have a 3 bedroom semi detached house. With approx 30 square metres of perfectly south facing roof, with no obstruction or shade on that roof.

We live in Sussex so again great for solar.

In terms of energy needs - we have a 24 kWH Nissan Leaf Which is fully charged per day, 2 adults & 2 big dogs (no children). So it looks like we use 28 kWh each day. I can confirm/edit that tonight

Thanks all

Hiya, welcome to the madhouse.

For some general PV reading and background you might want a quick look at the FAQ's (see link in my autosig).

30m2 roof, would hopefully allow for around 16/17 panels, so at 280-290Wp each, that's close to a 5kWp system, which would be good.

I'd suggest waiting a few years regarding the battery as costs are high, but should start to fall now that sales are accelerating. However, installing a batt with the PV is 5%VAT, whilst doing one separately later is 20%, so a tricky call.

If you can charge your car from the PV, then that's a great saving. If you are out, then using spare from the battery, perhaps 10kWh per day after allowing for home use (from the big Tesla Powerwall II), would be good. But for the 4-6 months when you won't have spare battery, then you'll need cheap rate leccy, and also for extra top up in the summer as you seem to be saying that you put 24kWh's in the Leaf each day, which would be a good days generation for 5kWp in the summer, and twice what the batt will hold if the car isn't parked at home.

Here's a thread discussing the ins and outs of home batts, and most of us are still in watch and wait mode.

On-grid domestic battery storage

Regarding panels, there are simply too many, so it tends to be a case of see what the installer suggests, which in turn is probably based on what the wholesaler has in stock. But I'd really suggest strongly to go for something like 280Wp or more each, rather than say 250Wp, so as to get as much PV on the roof as possible.

Keep chatting, there's loads more!

Mart.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • PickleRick2018
    Options
    Brilliant thanks guys :) I’ll get reading
  • BlueberryGeezer
    Options
    I found this information useful:

(I can't post the actual link because I'm a new user but if you search on "solar electricity storage systems reviews" you should get a link to a Which article which has some quite useful information including a list of battery storage units with costs)

Watch and wait as the man said,
  • Merlin139
    Merlin139 Posts: 6,858 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I found this information useful:

(I can't post the actual link because I'm a new user but if you search on "solar electricity storage systems reviews" you should get a link to a Which article which has some quite useful information including a list of battery storage units with costs)

Watch and wait as the man said,

https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/solar-panels/article/solar-panels/solar-panels-and-energy-storage
    3.795 kWp Solar PV System. Capital of the Wolds

• speculatrix
    Options
    many energy providers have put up very good value EV charging tariffs since this discussion was started, Octopus have a 5p/unit one!

the cost of a PV + battery solution to store nearly 30kWh would be very steep, I think at the moment your best bet would be to aim for a system which can charge during the day and provide for most of your household usage in the evening, and then the EV tariff kicks in later for the car. You could also top up the battery to offset the morning peak rate usage.

One word of warning is that some battery warranties are either age, or usage, so if you deep cycle them twice a day you'll shorten the warranty period!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure