An Update... On a det free wannabe

Firslty I would like to show you what I wrote on 14th April 2017 in a previous post:

''I am 23 years old and in approx £7,000 worth of debt. Funny enough I always was so good with money... until I got my first student overdraft and got my first ever credit card.... £3,000 is overdraft, £700 on credit card, £2,600 in parking tickets and 1,000 in rent arrears later and I'm here typing on debt free diaries. As you can see my finances are an absolute mess. What hurts the most is that the parking tickets are approx 20 private land parking tickets that are now being enforced outside of my house and have been smacked on me even though I live on the estate! Me and many neighbours are trying to fight this but I'm unsure whether we will be successful. I'm even thinking of getting a solicitor but if I loose this could only add to my awful debt! And since the beginning of 2017 all i have really done is cry about it and all my other debt! Now I'm looking to get myself in shape and face my fears and tackle this once and for all. I'm still a student studying my masters at the moment so I can't work full time but I'm hoping being on debt free diaries will give me the courage and motivation I'm going to need on this journey and to also realise I'm not the only one! Onwards and upwards! ''

An update to this!

Hi All! Today is 17/04/2018. A year since I posted. I just want to update you all and let you know that I have paid off all £2600 in parking tickets. My credit card is now down to £400 and my overdraft is now down to £1500. I have £300 left to pay of my rent arrears too. I AM SO PROUD OF MYSELF. It has been the biggest struggle but I changed my mindset completely and decreased the amount of money considerably. I still need to pay some more things but after getting myself an amazing graduate job that starts this coming June I know that I will be able to do this. My stress levels and minimal and I just want to post this to let everyone know that it IS POSSIBLE to get your finances under control.

Comments

• Well done xx
    Just trying to make up for past mistakes and work towards the future I want :hello:
  • fatrab
    fatrab Posts: 1,231 Forumite
    Brilliant! Great news. Well done!
    You can have results or excuses, but not both.
    Challenge - be 14 Stone BY XMAS!

• datlex
    datlex Posts: 2,239 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Well done. Though I thought you were fighting the parking charges given it is where you live? Did they not give you a means of parking, even if you had to pay for a permit?
    Paid off the last of my unsecured debts in 2016. Then saved up and bought a property. Current aim is to pay off my mortgage as early as possible. Currently over paying every month. Mortgage due to be paid off in 2036 hoping to get it paid off much earlier. Set up my own bespoke spreadsheet to manage my money.
  • Fantastic news!
    Savings as of April 2023 Savings account - £26460.50(14474.88)Current account - £2140.24(4576.79)Total - £28600.74(19051.67) £1010 (£65pm CS/BS) £250 CS/BS/JS
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure