SAYE Shares into SIPP

I have been part of my works Sharesave and SAYE for over 15 years now as a way of lowering my tax bill.

I don't really need this cash at the moment, and I wondered if I could do an "in Specie" transfer of some of these shares to my personal SIPP.

These shares are bought before tax and NI and I have found lots of information on transferring shares to an ISA but not much information on transferring shares to my SIPP.

I just wondered if I could claim tax back as well?

Comments

• OldBeanz
    OldBeanz Posts: 1,400 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    You do not say anything about your investments or the company you work for but many people with share save schemes end up without a diversified portfolio. 20 years ago buying shares in blue chip companies like Tesco or Royal Bank of Scotland would have appeared a good idea. You may well have diversified but if not then you should think about having too many eggs in the one basket.
  • OldBeanz wrote: »
    You do not say anything about your investments or the company you work for but many people with share save schemes end up without a diversified portfolio. 20 years ago buying shares in blue chip companies like Tesco or Royal Bank of Scotland would have appeared a good idea. You may well have diversified but if not then you should think about having too many eggs in the one basket.

I work for Rolls-Royce so a FTSE 100 company.

I have a portfolio in my SIPP which I am happy with. My idea was to minimise the amount of tax and NI I am paying. I wasn't sure if you could transfer in specie and get the 20% tax benefit as well.

Also, if I was to transfer these shares into my SIPP I am presuming I can sell the shares if I want to rebalance.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,090 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I wasn't sure if you could transfer in specie and get the 20% tax benefit as well.

I would imagine so if the pension provider permits it. You can certainly transfer commercial property into a SIPP in-specie and get tax relief.
    Subject to the usual contribution restrictions of course.
  • Dox
    Dox Posts: 3,116 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I would imagine so if the pension provider permits it. You can certainly transfer commercial property into a SIPP in-specie and get tax relief.
    Subject to the usual contribution restrictions of course.

Already answered in the link I've given above: yes.
  • cloud_dog
    cloud_dog Posts: 6,042 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    These shares are bought before tax and NI and I have found lots of information on transferring shares to an ISA but not much information on transferring shares to my SIPP.

I just wondered if I could claim tax back as well?
    Soooo, why not transfer them in to an ISA (assuming it is a qualifying scheme) and then withdraw the money and make a payment in to a SIPP?

Or, transfer the SAYE in to an ISA and use that as 'living' money and make a sacrifice from your salary in to your pension?
    Personal Responsibility - Sad but True :D

Sometimes.... I am like a dog with a bone
  • cloud_dog wrote: »
    Soooo, why not transfer them in to an ISA (assuming it is a qualifying scheme) and then withdraw the money and make a payment in to a SIPP?

Or, transfer the SAYE in to an ISA and use that as 'living' money and make a sacrifice from your salary in to your pension?

I am not sure how I could do the sacrifice from my salary into my pension as I have a final salary scheme with the company I work for.

Did think about transferring to an ISA but I wasn't sure if I would incur Capital Gains tax on the transfer over to a SIPP.

I'm liking the idea of getting the tax benefit by putting these shares in a SIPP and as a higher tax payer I can then add the transfer to my tax return.
  • cloud_dog
    cloud_dog Posts: 6,042 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 20 April 2018 at 2:32PM
    You need to find out if it is a qualifying scheme.

Re pensions... Is the below still relevant to yourself:

Transfers of certain shares from Save As You Earn (SAYE) option schemes or share incentive plans

Section 195 Finance Act 2004

The transfer of certain shares by a member into a registered pension scheme can be treated as a contribution on which tax relief may be given.

The shares must be shares:
    • which the member acquired on exercising a right under a SAYE option scheme (as defined in section 516 Income Tax (Earnings and Pensions) Act 2003 (ITEPA 2003)) or;
    • which were appropriated to the member under the provisions of a share incentive plan (as defined by section 488 ITEPA 2003).
    The shares must be transferred to the pension scheme within a set period. This is:
    • for shares in a SAYE option scheme 90 days after the member exercised their right to acquire the shares, and;
    • for shares in a share incentive plan 90 days after the member directed the trustees of the share incentive plan to transfer ownership of the shares to the member.

The value given to the contribution for tax relief purposes is the market value of the shares at the date they were transferred to the pension scheme.

Also, see:

Royal London article for in specie transfer s in to pension.
    Personal Responsibility - Sad but True :D

Sometimes.... I am like a dog with a bone
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family