Recorded my former employer admitting they owe me wages, could I use this at a tribunal?

Options
I am owed wages by a former employer. I have made several phone calls where they have admitted I am owed money. They've said that they have sent a cheque in one call, will send one in two other calls and will pay me by bank transfer in another.

I didn't tell them I was recording the call. Will this mean I can't use it as evidence if I take legal action?

Thanks!

Comments

• nicechap
    nicechap Posts: 2,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What does your lawyer or google say?
    Originally Posted by shortcrust
    "Contact the Ministry of Fairness....If sufficient evidence of unfairness is discovered you’ll get an apology, a permanent contract with backdated benefits, a ‘Let’s Make it Fair!’ tshirt and mug, and those guilty of unfairness will be sent on a Fairness Awareness course."
  • SamE18
    SamE18 Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    I don't have a lawyer and it's a very tricky question to Google and find reliable answers.
  • nicechap
    nicechap Posts: 2,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Using+covert+recording+at+an+employment+tribunal

Look for UK relevant articles.

I would suspect you will struggle to file and win an Employment Tribunal claim if you are struggling with this matter.
    Originally Posted by shortcrust
    "Contact the Ministry of Fairness....If sufficient evidence of unfairness is discovered you’ll get an apology, a permanent contract with backdated benefits, a ‘Let’s Make it Fair!’ tshirt and mug, and those guilty of unfairness will be sent on a Fairness Awareness course."
  • Xbigman
    Xbigman Posts: 3,884 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    A judge gets to decide whether something is admissible in court. A recording that one side new about and the other didn't is rarely allowed as evidence.

If your former employer is messing you about then go down the legal route to recover your money.

Darren
    Xbigman's guide to a happy life.

Eat properly
    Sleep properly
    Save some money
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts