Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • davidbrent3
    • By davidbrent3 17th Apr 18, 10:32 AM
    • 8Posts
    • 1Thanks
    davidbrent3
    American Express Starwoods card referal
    • 17th Apr 18, 10:32 AM
    American Express Starwoods card referal 17th Apr 18 at 10:32 AM
    Hi there I'm looking for someone to refer me for the American Express Starwoods card. Whoever refers me will receive an extra 5000 points and I'll receive 1000 points. I'll be happy to split the reward so whoever refers me will needs to pay me £20 as well as starwood points are worth around 1p each.
Page 1
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 17th Apr 18, 10:55 AM
    • 2,957 Posts
    • 7,958 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    • 17th Apr 18, 10:55 AM
    • 17th Apr 18, 10:55 AM
    This sort of post is only allowed on the Referrals board so I will move it there
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-free Wannabe, Loans & Credit Cards boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
    • newuser86
    • By newuser86 17th Apr 18, 11:56 AM
    • 259 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    newuser86
    • 17th Apr 18, 11:56 AM
    • 17th Apr 18, 11:56 AM
    Hi there I'm looking for someone to refer me for the American Express Starwoods card. Whoever refers me will receive an extra 5000 points and I'll receive 1000 points. I'll be happy to split the reward so whoever refers me will needs to pay me £20 as well as starwood points are worth around 1p each.
    Originally posted by davidbrent3
    Happy to refer if you PM me
    • davidbrent3
    • By davidbrent3 17th Apr 18, 12:46 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    davidbrent3
    • 17th Apr 18, 12:46 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 12:46 PM
    Just make all aware I will need some form of identification from the person referring me to ensure its paid whether in person or through a small claim.
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 17th Apr 18, 1:18 PM
    • 33,557 Posts
    • 39,655 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 17th Apr 18, 1:18 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 1:18 PM
    Sharing personal information via the forum is not allowed

I wouldn't give a stranger name and address etc due to identify theft
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • blindman
    • By blindman 17th Apr 18, 1:22 PM
    • 5,179 Posts
    • 4,204 Thanks
    blindman
    • 17th Apr 18, 1:22 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 1:22 PM
    Just make all aware I will need some form of identification from the person referring me to ensure its paid whether in person or through a small claim.
    You're kidding right?
    • newuser86
    • By newuser86 17th Apr 18, 2:16 PM
    • 259 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    newuser86
    • 17th Apr 18, 2:16 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 2:16 PM
    Browntoa, the person requesting all details wants a copy of a driving license.. as they apparently work with fraudsters daily. I am happy to offer a referral but am concerned I may be breaching terms. I refuse to provide my details as I don't think it is relevant to an agreement on here. Happy to post all details on here for the transaction if it keeps Mr Brent happy
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 17th Apr 18, 2:33 PM
    • 33,557 Posts
    • 39,655 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 17th Apr 18, 2:33 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 2:33 PM
    The thread here is evidence of the referral , no need to supply additional ID

If Mr Brent is unhappy with that then it's hard luck

The forum rules are quite clear on this
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • newuser86
    • By newuser86 17th Apr 18, 3:15 PM
    • 259 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    newuser86
    • 17th Apr 18, 3:15 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 3:15 PM
    Thank you. Mr Brent. I have sent you my resume link. I will pay you £20 via PayPal on BACs once the points have hit my account.
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 17th Apr 18, 3:43 PM
    • 4,208 Posts
    • 5,844 Thanks
    Nick_C
    The thread here is evidence of the referral , no need to supply additional ID

The forum rules are quite clear on this
    Originally posted by Browntoa
    I've not read all of the Forum rules for a while, but I'm surprised you are allowing people to offer money to strangers in exchange for using a referral.

When an Amex member refers a friend, they agree that they "have read and understand the Referral Programme Terms and will only refer close friends and family who want to receive this communication."

The Referral Programme T&Cs state:-

"Only friends and family: You must only send the referral link to close friends and family.

If you do not comply with these terms, you could lose your bonus points and you will be excluded from participating in the ... Referral Programme in future. "

Amex of course want people to apply for their cards. They may be happy to turn a blind eye to members sharing links on line, but I suspect they may take a dim view of money changing hands.

Are MSE / Money Supermarket sure they want to be promoting this sort of scam?
    Last edited by Nick_C; 17-04-2018 at 3:45 PM.
    • blindman
    • By blindman 17th Apr 18, 4:50 PM
    • 5,179 Posts
    • 4,204 Thanks
    blindman
    Thank you. Mr Brent. I have sent you my resume link. I will pay you £20 via PayPal on BACs once the points have hit my account.
    Originally posted by newuser86
    Of course if you forget.....
    • newuser86
    • By newuser86 17th Apr 18, 4:59 PM
    • 259 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    newuser86
    Of course if you forget.....
    Originally posted by blindman
    Well that would be dishonest!!

I have paid four people with other referrals and not once had an issue on this site, and have been a member for many years,

Also, i'm sure that MSE, if requested could provide information if an investigation is begun by the authorities.
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 17th Apr 18, 5:00 PM
    • 33,557 Posts
    • 39,655 Thanks
    Browntoa
    And closing the thread
    • davidbrent3
    • By davidbrent3 17th Apr 18, 10:49 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    davidbrent3
    American Express starwood preferred guest referral
    All Iím looking for a referral for the SPG Card and £20 for giving you the referral and in particular 5000 spg points. Iíve already got someone to refer me who has maxed out on points so Iím more than happy to go with him if nobody else wishes to refer me. I wish to purchase the item through eBay as you could be anyone on this site to ensure Iím paid and the rewards are fully shared.

Thnaks
    • newuser86
    • By newuser86 17th Apr 18, 11:51 PM
    • 259 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    newuser86
    Just for reference I have supplied my referral to Mr Brent who is supposedly going to be using it this weekend. Once the bonus points have been received the money will be transferred to him
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,286Posts Today

7,180Users online

Martin's Twitter