Cost of false teeth and or dentures

Options
A few years ago I was under a lot of stress and found I was grinding my teeth a lot in my sleep. Things are OK now but I am left with the aftermath in my teeth. Basically I have ground down the lower teeth against the upper ones particularly on my right hand jaw. The result is that the lower teeth are causing the upper teeth to weaken and break off because they are grinding against them now when I eat and in general when my face is at rest. One of my upper right front teeth just to the side of the centre, has broken off completely recently. I am very conscious of my appearance now and do not like to go out as a result. I need to get something done.

We have only a couple of NHS dentists locally and they have long queues. So I consulted a family member who recently had some complicated dental work done and he suggested one who is said to be highly recommended for this sort of work.

To cut a long story short, he said my gums were in good condition but not my teeth because of the grinding. He said the only solution was to realign my teeth to get the lower ones away from the upper ones and then to replace the missing and broken ones with implants. He said this was complicated, expensive and would take many months. The initial stage of removing the broken teeth would cost around £2,500 and then the rest, with all the stages, would be another £10,000.

I really cannot afford this sort of money. What would I be entitled to on the NHS, if I could find a dentist to even consider the job? And what would the range of costs be for false teeth or dentures? Or would I be better off going overseas?

Comments

• sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,109 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Assuming you are in England there is a list of charges here

https://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/AboutNHSservices/dentists/Pages/nhs-dental-charges.aspx
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Ridiculous that you have to pay over £59 plus if you need one filling .
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • Toothsmith
    Toothsmith Posts: 10,074 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Ridiculous that it's exactly the same charge if you need 20! And the dentist gets paid just the same as well!
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure