Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • AndyBSG
    • By AndyBSG 16th Apr 18, 1:51 PM
    • 963Posts
    • 1,195Thanks
    AndyBSG
    PPI Claims & Bankruptcy?
    • 16th Apr 18, 1:51 PM
    PPI Claims & Bankruptcy? 16th Apr 18 at 1:51 PM
    Hoping someone can clarify this point for me.

I know that any PPI claims resulting from debts that were part of a bankruptcy are off limits because any compensation due will go to the Official Receiver.

However, what about claims against debts/loans that were not included in the BR?

For example I went BR in 2008. In 2002 I paid off an Egg credit card I had which had PPI on it.

Can I claim that compensation or does that also belong to the OR as it preceded my BR even though that debt wasn't part of my BR?
Page 1
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 16th Apr 18, 3:41 PM
    • 3,395 Posts
    • 2,480 Thanks
    Tarambor
    • 16th Apr 18, 3:41 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 3:41 PM
    All your financial affairs up to the date of the order being made are no longer yours and are the responsibility and property of the OR. Like your house, car and other property of value being sold as part of the bankruptcy to pay your creditors, a PPI claim dated prior to the order would be an asset to be used to repay those you owed money to.
    • AndyBSG
    • By AndyBSG 17th Apr 18, 1:12 PM
    • 963 Posts
    • 1,195 Thanks
    AndyBSG
    • 17th Apr 18, 1:12 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 1:12 PM
    All your financial affairs up to the date of the order being made are no longer yours and are the responsibility and property of the OR. Like your house, car and other property of value being sold as part of the bankruptcy to pay your creditors, a PPI claim dated prior to the order would be an asset to be used to repay those you owed money to.
    Originally posted by Tarambor
    Cheers Tarambor.

Guessed that would be the case but was checking more out of hope than anything else!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

459Posts Today

5,337Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin