Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jadewest94
    • By jadewest94 15th Apr 18, 10:07 PM
    • 21Posts
    • 15Thanks
    jadewest94
    Work Lunch?
    • 15th Apr 18, 10:07 PM
    Work Lunch? 15th Apr 18 at 10:07 PM
    Hello!

Anyone have any advice on what I can take to work? rather not be buying food from a van id much prefer making my own food to save money! currently taking home made curry and rice tomorrow but I always end up with either pasta or sandwiches!

We only have use of a microwave to cook stuff
    Vodafone - 1,099.74 JD - 261.28 Fixing my debts!
Page 1
    • Poppy1984
    • By Poppy1984 15th Apr 18, 10:32 PM
    • 176 Posts
    • 331 Thanks
    Poppy1984
    • 15th Apr 18, 10:32 PM
    • 15th Apr 18, 10:32 PM
    I take lunch every day and get bored easily. For me anything goes!
    Leftovers from the day befores evening meal heating in the microwave,
    Sandwich's,
    Ryvitas with soft cheese spread dipped in cuppa soups,
    Crackers & cheese,
    Jacket potatoes, I batch cook 6 at a time in the oven wrap in tinfoil and freeze. Take out of freezer night before, unwrap from tinfoil once defrosted, microwave for 2 1/2 mins, fillings are beans, tuna, cheese, coleslaw, leftovers,
    Hope that helps a little
    19-02-18 Total Debt 3,800 Next 815 Very 1600 Tesco Credit Card 1600
    PAID Next 815/815 now closed Very 370/ 1600 Tesco 160/ 1600
    April - May Grocery Budget 40/200 EF fund 200/300
    • jadewest94
    • By jadewest94 15th Apr 18, 10:51 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    jadewest94
    • 15th Apr 18, 10:51 PM
    • 15th Apr 18, 10:51 PM
    Jacket potatoes, I batch cook 6 at a time in the oven wrap in tinfoil and freeze. Take out of freezer night before, unwrap from tinfoil once defrosted, microwave for 2 1/2 mins, fillings are beans, tuna, cheese, coleslaw, leftovers,
    Hope that helps a little
    Originally posted by Poppy1984
    I didn't think of Jacket Potatoes! Thank you
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 15th Apr 18, 10:56 PM
    • 10,866 Posts
    • 28,890 Thanks
    suki1964
    • 15th Apr 18, 10:56 PM
    • 15th Apr 18, 10:56 PM
    I take lunch in, we have a toaster, microwave and kettle

Tomorrow is Chinese - left overs from Friday, boxed up and straight in the fridge Ill be fine

I take a sandwich some days, a toaster sandwich ( in a toaster bag ) others.

Home made soup

HM quiches

Hummus and carrot sticks and pitta

Pasta dishes - macaroni cheese, salmon or chicken chilli pasta

Hot dogs

Cheeseburgers - precooked just warm the burger in the microwave and add to bap with cheese and salad

Left overs from dinner - curry, lasagne, cottage pie, stew etc. I sometimes make a lasagne just to portion up and freeze for lunches

And I have a bag of muesli and a large tub of yoghurt kept in work for breakfast and afternoon snack if working late

Basically anything thats in the house is fair game for lunch. If I had an hour break Id be more adventurous but only get 30 mins so need quick ready cooked just need a reheat food
    if you lend someone 20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 16th Apr 18, 5:55 AM
    • 2,510 Posts
    • 3,191 Thanks
    unforeseen
    • 16th Apr 18, 5:55 AM
    • 16th Apr 18, 5:55 AM
    I take lunch every day and get bored very easily
    I have taken ham sandwiches every day for the last 30+ years. The only deviation being when we have had a roast on Sunday and then Monday & Tuesday are whatever that meat was.

I've tried experimenting but end up back at ham after a day or two
    • redfox
    • By redfox 16th Apr 18, 7:34 AM
    • 13,382 Posts
    • 36,675 Thanks
    redfox
    • 16th Apr 18, 7:34 AM
    • 16th Apr 18, 7:34 AM
    we move threads if we think they will get more help elsewhere (please read the forum rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board. If you have any questions about this policy please email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Quick Grabbit, Food Shopping & Groceries, Shop but don't drop, Loans and Cutting Tax boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• bouicca21
    • By bouicca21 16th Apr 18, 8:54 AM
    • 3,572 Posts
    • 5,301 Thanks
    bouicca21
    • 16th Apr 18, 8:54 AM
    • 16th Apr 18, 8:54 AM
    All of the above plus Greek salad.
    • elsien
    • By elsien 16th Apr 18, 8:57 AM
    • 16,175 Posts
    • 40,884 Thanks
    elsien
    • 16th Apr 18, 8:57 AM
    • 16th Apr 18, 8:57 AM
    If you do a search there's previous threads on here with lots of ideas.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • timehastoldme
    • By timehastoldme 16th Apr 18, 9:56 AM
    • 153 Posts
    • 444 Thanks
    timehastoldme
    • 16th Apr 18, 9:56 AM
    • 16th Apr 18, 9:56 AM
    Aldi falafels are surprisingly yum, and take a minute in the microwave. With pitta, hummus (again, Aldi Moroccan or caramelised onion) and some crunchy salad veg.
    • Feral Moon
    • By Feral Moon 16th Apr 18, 10:03 AM
    • 2,781 Posts
    • 4,360 Thanks
    Feral Moon
    It always dumbfounds me when people ask others what they should eat! What would you normally eat if you were at home for lunch?
    • JennyP
    • By JennyP 16th Apr 18, 10:03 AM
    • 855 Posts
    • 582 Thanks
    JennyP
    If you cook jacket potatoes in the oven and freeze them, then microwave them, are the skins nice and crispy as they are when they come out of the oven?

I love jacket potatoes!!!
    • jadewest94
    • By jadewest94 16th Apr 18, 10:46 AM
    • 21 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    jadewest94
    It always dumbfounds me when people ask others what they should eat! What would you normally eat if you were at home for lunch?
    Originally posted by Feral Moon
    I'm asking as I'm currently taking the same things to work. Just looking for new ideas, plus I have a cooker at home but don't in work
    • littlegreenparrot
    • By littlegreenparrot 16th Apr 18, 11:32 AM
    • 234 Posts
    • 1,512 Thanks
    littlegreenparrot
    Salad.
    Start with a base grain, cous cous, quinoa, bulghar wheat.
    Add veg, I like it chopped small, grate a carrot , cold roast sweet potato or butternut squash is nice, or roast pepper, courgette, aubergine, whatever looks nice/ needs using.
    Stir well. Add some protein, a little bit of
    Smoked salmon, leftover roast meat, a couple of falafel.
    I like a spoon of toasted seeds on mine as well.

Yum. Always ends up being slightly different.
    • THIRZAH
    • By THIRZAH 16th Apr 18, 11:42 AM
    • 1,355 Posts
    • 6,750 Thanks
    THIRZAH
    DH takes lunch into work every day. He often takes salads or leftovers. Tonight we are having pasta with tomato and aubergine sauce so I will cook four portions-two for dinner, one for tomorrow and one to freeze.I do the same whenever we have chilli or soup..

I usually batch cook tomato sauce for the freezer so freeze some in individual portions. If I'm making pastry I freeze a couple of rounds rolled out flat. That way I can make a pasty or tart with oddments if the oven is on. Yesterday we had bread and goats cheese for lunch. DH took sourdough bread (already cut up and in the freezer), goats cheese and a tomato for lunch today. There was still some goats cheese left so while the oven was on last night I made a cheese, thyme and tomato tart which has now been frozen.

We usually have a couple of rounds of ham or beef sandwiches in the freezer for days when I'm short of time.
    • Willow92
    • By Willow92 16th Apr 18, 6:28 PM
    • 2,122 Posts
    • 13,093 Thanks
    Willow92
    I often batch cook something like chili or a pasta bake then freeze a few portions ready for work over the next few days.

You could also make your own soup with whatever veg you've got lurking in the cupboards/fridge.
    Savings 5,848 /7,000
    • tiredwithtwins
    • By tiredwithtwins 16th Apr 18, 6:35 PM
    • 419 Posts
    • 1,214 Thanks
    tiredwithtwins
    I take lunch every day and get bored easily. For me anything goes!
    Leftovers from the day befores evening meal heating in the microwave,
    Sandwich's,
    Ryvitas with soft cheese spread dipped in cuppa soups,
    Crackers & cheese,
    Hope that helps a little

same here!
    when we had a microwave at work I would take whatever we had for tea the night before - id do a bit extra - and warm that up at lunchtime. since our microwave has conked out (I work for the nhs, we aren't allowed one now!) its salads, sandwiches, anything cold really .. cant begin to think about affording buying lunch at work so I have to make do.
    April GC (29/3-26/4) -245/300
    May GC (26/4- 31/5) - 350.

wading through the treacle of life!
    • SIRENS
    • By SIRENS 16th Apr 18, 7:12 PM
    • 631 Posts
    • 3,464 Thanks
    SIRENS
    I don!!!8217;t eat bread in the week very often, but take lunch to work every day. In the winter I take hm soup or stews, pasta, rice with curry or a risotto. In the summer more salads, couscous is my favourite as it!!!8217;s quick to make and then I add what ever is handy, left over meat, tuna, boiled eggs, salad, tin sweet corn. I also take salad with lentils, or chick peas, or tinned beans added to bulk it out. I second jacket potatoes, I also bulk bake and freeze.
    Weight Loss Challenge 0/14lb

'You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose' - Dr Suess
    • sarahj1986
    • By sarahj1986 16th Apr 18, 7:55 PM
    • 1,066 Posts
    • 1,971 Thanks
    sarahj1986
    Another vote for leftovers. I normally make 3-4 portions of dinner so I have some for dinner and lunch then whatever is left is for my husband. He can sometimes eat double portions if he!!!8217;s hungry.

My favourites-

Lasagne
    Jacket potatoes (which I!!!8217;ve got for lunch tomorrow)
    Mini roast. I take a small tub with gravy granules in and make fresh gravy at work
    Pasta bake, or any pasta dishes
    Frittata
    Chicken drumsticks with Mediterranean vegetables
    Cottage pie

I actually very rarely have sandwiches for lunch. I like variety so leftovers are my preference
    • Witless
    • By Witless 16th Apr 18, 8:44 PM
    • 613 Posts
    • 2,954 Thanks
    Witless
    As above: leftovers, cheese, hard boiled eggs & crackers.
    • cat4772
    • By cat4772 16th Apr 18, 11:14 PM
    • 2,454 Posts
    • 4,340 Thanks
    cat4772
    Originally posted by Feral Moon
    I thought OP asked what they could eat not what they should. With over 700 views, it's highly likely that many of these have had a quick look for inspiration.

I've recently moved my daughter from school meals to packed lunch and I know that it's so easy to get stuck in a habitual rut. sometimes inspiration comes in new ideas, sometimes it's an old or former favourite that hasn't been tried in a while.

I know that I'm often busy in a morning, particularly April & May so packed lunches have to easy to prepare. I have made my daughter several sandwiches (ham, cheese, ham & Cheese, tuna) wrapped individually in cling film and frozen. In a morning, I'll lift one out and in it goes in her lunch bag.

I've also prepared some carrot sticks, yellow pepper stick, cucumber sticks and can lift these out in a morning, fill a 1oz pot with tomato ketchup for her to dip and she has a vegetable stick snack. Another pot will contain fruit: kiwi, strawberry raspberry, grapes, blueberries.

together with either a yoghurt or cheese stick, a carton of juice and she's set to go.

In the future, I might do pasta with chicken or tuna (do a couple of days worth in advance so I'm not rushing in a morning.

other things she's asked for are chicken nuggets and wedges, or gnocchi and sauce, pasta and sauce, tortellini or ravioli and sauce, risotto etc (we have a food flask which keeps food warm), so I'm probably sorted for autumnal ideas. But by then, I might have forgotten and a thread like this asking for inspiration might just re-open a world of culinary choices for me and my daughter

cat.x
    DFW Nerd Club #545 Dealing With Our Debt
    never attribute anything to malice which can be adequately explained by stupidity, [paranoia or ignorance] - ZTD&[cat]
    the thing about unwritten laws is that everyone has to agree to them before they can work - *louise*

March GC 113.53 / 325
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,203Posts Today

8,356Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just a quick note. I've been overwhelmed by the strength of support by my campaign to stop facebook fake ads today? https://t.co/KexhjVVznY

• RT @mmhpi: On the eve of tomorrow's #RecoverySpace debate in parliament, we just delivered our 10,000 letters to the Chancellor. People in?

• Interesting piece yet they asked me if it was a publicity stunt and I said yes partially, in order to raise awarene? https://t.co/FdKcO1uMLx

• Follow Martin