Pension contribution

Options
Working part time i don't earn enough to auto enrol, but i want to contribute to a pension.
My employer says i can do 3% of qualified earnings , or a fixed amount of at least 3% -which option would be be better (i can afford to put away above the 3%)
However pension site says Your employer will not automatically enrol you into a workplace pension scheme but you can choose to join. If you do so, your employer will not be obliged to make contributions.
So, if my employer doesn't make contributions , i assume there is no point starting the pension?

Comments

• Brynsam
    Brynsam Posts: 3,643 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    tali wrote: »
    Working part time i don't earn enough to auto enrol, but i want to contribute to a pension.

So, if my employer doesn't make contributions , i assume there is no point starting the pension?

Why do you want to start a pension? Presumably to have some savings in later life, made in a tax efficient way. Even if your employer doesn't contribute, why not do just that for yourself - what's the better alternative?
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,705 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    My employer says i can do 3% of qualified earnings , or a fixed amount of at least 3% -which option would be be better (i can afford to put away above the 3%)
    However pension site says Your employer will not automatically enrol you into a workplace pension scheme but you can choose to join. If you do so, your employer will not be obliged to make contributions.

That means they don't have to, not that they won't.
    A decent employer will - have you asked them (nicely)?
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,418 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Which auto enrolment scheme is your employer using?
  • tali
    tali Posts: 709 Forumite
    Options
    Brynsam wrote: »
    Why do you want to start a pension? Presumably to have some savings in later life, made in a tax efficient way. Even if your employer doesn't contribute, why not do just that for yourself - what's the better alternative?

The pension is being used as another layer of investment , as yes, i do have other savings and investments.
    Employer has said they will contribute 2%
  • Brynsam
    Brynsam Posts: 3,643 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The pension is being used as another layer of investment , as yes, i do have other savings and investments.

Great. So what's the problem?
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options

So with tax and NI relief you'll near as dammit double your money. You'd be mad not to.
  • greenglide
    greenglide Posts: 3,301 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Options
    and NI relief
    Who mentioned salary sacrifice?

Without salary sacrifice there is no saving of NI.
  • tali
    tali Posts: 709 Forumite
    Options
    Brynsam wrote: »
    Great. So what's the problem?

I didn't know of the 2% employer contribution until after my original post
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income