Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • TrickyDicky101
    • By TrickyDicky101 13th Apr 18, 8:59 PM
    • 3,128Posts
    • 2,067Thanks
    TrickyDicky101
    Father died - State Pension/SERPS entitlement of his spouse (mother)
    • 13th Apr 18, 8:59 PM
    Father died - State Pension/SERPS entitlement of his spouse (mother) 13th Apr 18 at 8:59 PM
    I have asked this before but it felt a lot more theoretical at the time given my father hadn't died. Unfortunately he passed away this week.

He was just shy of his 77th birthday and was in receipt of his State Pension and a SERPS element. I *believe* this was (in total) approximately 10k pa (may be different from this - I have not yet confirmed).

My mother (73) is also in receipt of a State Pension but this is only c.3.4k pa.

In addition my father had an occupational (defined benefit) pension of a further c.11k pa. He also had a pension pot in flexible drawdown.

Will my mother be entitled to any of his State Pension? (not the occupational pension - I know the spousal benefit flowing from that; not the pension pot either as I know what happens to that).

Because the SP + SERPS formed a fairly big chunk of his retirement income (and because my mother only receives a relatively small SP) it would be good if she is entitled to any amount of it now he has died.

If I need to provide any further details please let me know.

Also, I have used the Government's TellUsOnce service to inform the DWP of my father's death - if my mother will get any part of his SP/SERPS will they process this automatically or will she need to specifically claim it?

Many thanks for any and all replies.
Page 1
    • noh
    • By noh 13th Apr 18, 9:20 PM
    • 5,260 Posts
    • 3,561 Thanks
    noh
    • 13th Apr 18, 9:20 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 9:20 PM
    Yes she should be entitled to a proportion of his additional state pension. See:-
    https://www.gov.uk/additional-state-pension/inheriting

Additionally I believe that she may be entitled to an increased basic state pension based on his contributions. See:-
    https://www.gov.uk/state-pension/inheritance
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 13th Apr 18, 9:29 PM
    • 26,497 Posts
    • 15,736 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 13th Apr 18, 9:29 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 9:29 PM
    https://www.savvywoman.co.uk/2012/07/what-happens-to-your-state-pension-when-you-die/
    • TrickyDicky101
    • By TrickyDicky101 13th Apr 18, 9:55 PM
    • 3,128 Posts
    • 2,067 Thanks
    TrickyDicky101
    • 13th Apr 18, 9:55 PM
    • 13th Apr 18, 9:55 PM
    Thank you both -much appreciated. I will contact the DWP.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

321Posts Today

2,963Users online

Martin's Twitter