Dentist help

Options
Hi

I’m in a battle with my dentist as I need a tooth added on to my denture but they said the labs they used were closed last week when I was off. They are pressuring me to make an appointment to drop my denture off. I work full time so I can’t see them during the week. Also I would drop it off in the morning and not get back till next day in the afternoon. This means I would need time off work to do so.

I can’t take time off at short notice. The reason they are pressuring me is that they keep mentioning about closing my file to send off to the health service. I’ve emailed a complaint due to the lack of help and also the poor communication as I’m deaf and I used text relay to make a call about making an appointment this is when they were talking about closing a claim. Anyways I sent a complaint and they are saying in the email that they can only keep a claim open for a short period of time.

I thought we had 6 months from paying to have treatment. They said that will send two letters within a week of each other to remind me to make an appointment. My mother called for me when I got my first one and they just wouldn’t get that I work full time and can’t take time off at short notice as it depends on the staff levels. So anyways my question is can they send the claim before the 6 months is up. I’m worried that when I do get time off I would need to pay the banding charge again. I only had my treatment in January.

Just to add they were trying to call me when I was at work before I had my week off to say that they found a lab that was open my
Mother questioned why they couldn’t text me or email me about it which means I lost that chance of the added tooth
Thank you
Mortgage free wannabe 

Actual mortgage stating amount £75,150

Overpayment start date 1/3/23.

Starting balance £66,565.45

Current balance £63,787.16

Comments

• brook2jack
    brook2jack Posts: 4,563 Forumite
    Options
    The expectation is that treatment will be completed within a reasonable time. Sometimes due to complexity and amount of treatment it may take time to finish a course of treatment but if a patient cancels appointments or fails to make them then the surgery can send off the course of treatment at any time, they do not have to keep it open for 6 months.

If a course of treatment is closed and you return within two months of the starting date of treatment then that course is automatically reopened, however if you return after two months after the start of treatment a new course has to be opened.

The practice opened a course of treatment in January , it has been opened for three months . They have offered you appointments , it is your choice not to go to work for a day and you have yet to arrange that. The practice will not have been able to claim their dental activity units and will not have been paid for that treatment, yet they will have paid for the staff, materials etc for your treatment.

They have contacted you to give you a chance to arrange appointments, the working time for laboratories is between one and two days to add teeth to dentures , for most people three months is more than enough time to arrange a dental appointment.

In short the practice have given you opportunities to make appointments, you have failed to do so , they are a total liberty to close your course of treatment and you will need to pay for a new course when you have the teeth added to the denture.
  • Sncjw
    Sncjw Posts: 3,509 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    My tooth wasn!!!8217;t removed until a few weeks ago. The treatment includes fillings which was at the start of it. My tooth adding wasn!!!8217;t an issue until a few weeks ago.
    Mortgage free wannabe 

Actual mortgage stating amount £75,150

Overpayment start date 1/3/23.

Starting balance £66,565.45

Current balance £63,787.16

• Toothsmith
    Toothsmith Posts: 10,074 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    It's the end of the financial year, and they are probably trying to get every treatment plan they can complete in order to hit their contracted target.

They would be allowed to just send your treatment in as incomplete anyway - so it is to their credit that they are contacting you to try and get you in to complete the treatment.

If you wish to be treated on the NHS, which is a horrible system to work with - then you need to accept that things like this will happen from time to time.

If you want a service where there are no time & target pressures imposed on the dentist - then be seen privately.
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure